What`s next for Son of Beast?

fighting31irish

Are they even allowed to legally open it? I thought I heard that somewhere.

I belive the state has already clerded it for reopening.

But not this year [according to the article]. It had been cleared to run in 2009 despite the claim made by the woman... I can't imagine that that permit from two years ago would still be valid. The state would have to come out and re-inspect the ride for this year. And something tells me that a year and a half of neglecting it would make the inspection and re-opening process a little more lengthy than usual.

Are they even allowed to legally open it? I thought I heard that somewhere.

The ride was shut down voluntarily by the park, after being cleared by the state to run again. As stated in the article above, they cannot legally operate it this year without a permit through the city of Mason. So unless they make a quick decision to open it and obtain a permit, no SoB this year :(

Any reason they can't obtain a permit mid season?

The ride closed ( B ) after the "complaint from the woman" ( A ). That does NOT necessarily mean that is the cause of the ride closing. Just because B happened after A does not mean A caused B. Suppose that the ride also closed after I got sick eating too much cauliflower. My cauliflower feast did not cause the ride to close.

Terp, who's said enough already...

From Screamscape:

...Son of Beast Status - Closed Until Further Notice - (4/25/11) A great article that covers the past, present and possible future of the Son of Beast coaster at Kings Island was posted to Cincinnati.com, which includes some great quotes towards the end by myself as well. Check it out…
http://www.screamsca...ings_island.htm

Great quotes from Lance Hart? I must have missed them. Do point them out...

(Oh, dearest me...I haven't laughed so hard in many a moon...almost as good as Italian Chef's continual trumpeting of his most recent freelance effort back in the days of olde!)

Terp...modesty becomes a person...

But construction permits and zoning permits are not the same as operational permits. The city of Mason does not permit rides to run. That jurisdiction falls with the Department of Agriculture`s Rides Safety Division. And every ride needs to have a permit applied for every season. Every ride in the stat has a bronze plaque posted in a readily viewable location. Upon that plaque, colored stickers are placed, indicated the year that the ride is licensed to run. And the state isn`t just looking for the safety and integrity of the rides. They also are checking out the operations, ensuring that the operators are well trained, have proper paperwork documenting such things and are taking their job seriously. I speak from experience on that matter for one reason or another...

All true, but without the necessary permits from Mason, an operational permit from the State, standing alone, does not necessarily mean a ride will be allowed to operate. Keeping track of all the required governmental approvals, permits, etc., is not an easy thing...nor are the rules in one place the same as in another...and some of the requirements change from time to time...

I think it would be an environmental hazard to tear this coaster down completely. Plus, all those trees would have died in vain! Now, I am no tree hugger by any stretch of the imagination, but it will still be a crying shame to waste all that good wood. At the very least, they should strongly consider making a new coaster on the structure. Maybe not Texas Giant style, but another true wooden

experience. The design had flaws in it, unfortunately. The rose bowl was not a real comfortable ride. The rest of it was fine. I enjoyed most of it. The first hill was amazing, and the loop was too.

Probably won't see a loop anymore, but it would behoove them to keep the coaster, and make some major changes to the ride. Plus, it would be cheaper in the long run to only replace

and redesign a certain section, than to spend the money to demolish it. They could dismantle everything between the bottom of the 2nd hill and the little whoosh thing that replace the loop, and make

a really good wood section there, and the ride would be superb! They could reuse a lot of the wood from those areas.

The Screechin Eagle has sat idle for 9 years now, and no attention given to it. They say, it will start to collapse in another couple of years. If they let Son of Beast sit that long,

it will meet the same fate, and thats NOT what we want to see happen. That would be a crying shame for sure! $25million+ down the drain.

So, I have heard on this forum, that some think the demolition for SOB would be around 10 million. To build a new wooden coaster in it's place would be about 10-12 million (Approx.)

That is a hefty price tag to solve this problem. I know it may not take quite 10 million to demolish it, that is just someone else comment earlier.

I don't see KI spending that kind of money on a project of that sort. I would love to see a "remake" or "redo" of SOB instead. Maybe use the lift hill/drop and maybe make a out and back type coaster (If the space is available) It is just my opinion, but I only had a problem on the high speed rose bowl. Around the bottom of the RB it sure did rattle my body.

I have no Idea if this can even be done, considering the space they have (and $$$) to do something like this. If anyone has an aerial view of SOB, please post and I would love to see if it could be done.

What do you guys think?

So, I have heard on this forum, that some think the demolition for SOB would be around 10 million.

Unless someone works for the park, no one here has that type of information.

Typically, in deconstruction projects, a contractor is hired to demolish a structure. Part of the cost is allowing the contractor to remove all materials and do what they wish with it.

For the most part, the contractor sells as much of the materials to be recycled. All the nuts/ bolts & various metal used will be sold for a hefty dollar. All the wood can still be used in the paper industry even though it has been treated.

My guess to bring SoB down= >$1,000,000.

The reason it redirects is because the I305 site does. I think it still tries to redirect to the old I305 site.

Also, I'd like to see it get an Intamin treatment if possible. They could probably get it back to smooth if they tried. It would just require removing most of the ride and rethinking it. Maybe if they did it they could try for another loop!?! I doubt it, both the loop and Cedar Fair going with Intamin right now on such a controversial ride.

• 2 weeks later...

if this has been answered already, sorry.

anyway, can anyone who has been past Son of Beast so far this season be kind enough to share with me if the 'walls' of wolf pack have been taken down or not? i haven't had a chance to get to the park yet and i was just wondering.

thanks for any help!

if this has been answered already, sorry.

anyway, can anyone who has been past Son of Beast so far this season be kind enough to share with me if the 'walls' of wolf pack have been taken down or not? i haven't had a chance to get to the park yet and i was just wondering.

thanks for any help!

It appears that they have not removed the Wolfpack haunt. As of last weekend the walls were still up.

Well, as my next KI visit approaches some people who are coming with us started talking about Kings Island. They said "What ride should we do first?" "Let's do that huge wooden looping coaster, Son of Beast!":wacko:

I had to tell them the truth. And they got kinda mad about it.

But then, they remembered all the other rides, and all was well.B)

May 14th cannot come soon enough!

PS: These guys have obviously not yet visited in the Cedar Fair era. They were stunned by Diamondback when I showed them a park map, and called all the rides their old names.

I don't believe that that website has been updated in a while so I wouldn't take that as a hint towards anything. Interesting note though, 2 of the 3 pictures of The Beast in addition to the front cover of the 'card' were of Son of Beast. :lol:

Oh I think they would be interested. Remember that KI received several bids/plans for possible ideas of what to do with Son of Beast. To our knowledge, all of them were rejected. Gravity Group is based out of Cincinnati, so I'm sure there is some level of interest in being involved. I'm no ride engineer, but I would guess that many issues would be reduced if you could just reprofile the first half of the ride. KI probably doesn't want to do that though. Of course that what started the whole mess, KI not budging on their requirement to have a loop.

Oh I think they would be interested. Remember that KI received several bids/plans for possible ideas of what to do with Son of Beast. To our knowledge, all of them were rejected.

We don't know that they were rejected. To the best of my knowledge, our last indication that anything at all had been decided was when we heard that one of the offers had been deemed unsatisfactory (read, too expensive). One might assume that the other two (that we know of) ended up being unsatisfactory, as well, based only on the fact that nothing seems to have been done to the ride so far. But of course, one of the offers might've been fantastic and sounds like the perfect green light for the ride's future... Doesn't mean the money is in the budget to act on it right now. As others have said, I wouldn't expect a thing to be done to the ride (either reconstruction or demolition) until late this fall. And it could certainly be later than that, too!

And I believe what Hendrick meant is... What if the Timberliners are added... And don't improve the experience? Moreso, what if another accident occurs, this time with the Gravity Group's trains involved? Guess who could be listed on any future lawsuits? For anyone who works on Son of Beast, they'll be taking a tremendous risk... If it fixes the ride, they may very well become famous in the amusement park world. If it doesn't, they may have just thrown their reputation away. What if Timberliners make Son of Beast worse, or don't help at all? How will that look to the industry, and how will that affect Gravity Group?

And B&M's track manufacturing plant is closer to Kings Island than any other major amusement park... And how long did it take for us to get a B&M ride? Locality doesn't always indicate interest, right?

I'm no ride engineer, but I would guess that many issues would be reduced if you could just reprofile the first half of the ride. KI probably doesn't want to do that though. Of course that what started the whole mess, KI not budging on their requirement to have a loop.

And concerning the loop, I think there must be some opposing stories out there. I've always heard that Paramount's Kings Island was indeed pushing for a loop, but it was RCCA who continued to egg them on, pressuring the park to also make it the tallest, fastest, steepest, etc. And how do we know that Kings Island doesn't want to re-profile the first half the ride? That may be exactly what they're reaching out to different companies requesting... What Paramount Parks wanted for a ride at Paramount's Kings Island is not what Cedar Fair wants at Kings Island, and what we speculate one of them wanted is probably even farther from what the other really did want.

I think we're all blind as bats when it comes to Son of Beast. We don't know who's been asked, or what's been asked for, or what those asked parties have said, or if they've offered anything at all, or how much it would cost, or what the cost of reconstruction vs. demolition would be, or when it would happen, or what year that budget would be added into...

Personally, I think that the Iron Horse treatment would make it a really enjoyable, breathtaking ride. But then there are those variables: Would the company behind the New Texas Giant want to work on Son of Beast? Would Kings Island be willing to pay for their services? And I certainly can't speak to the engineering aspects of any potential conversion to the Iron Horse track... That is, would it even be possible or safe?