What`s next for Son of Beast?

fighting31irish

Guest rcfreak339

The "newer" trains were horrible compared to the older cars. I can't tell you how much I loved Son of Beast before the rehab, I could ride it over and over countless times. I loved it. But, after the rehab I took only 1 lap around, because 1 was enough. Simply the worst coaster experience I ever had, my chest felt as if it was going to explode....how only one person got hurt on it I'll never know. One thing is for sure though, I will never ride Son of Beast again unless something major happens to the ride.

I would most definitely hold an opposite opinion. Haha

Speaking of which, I love how smooth the retracked portions of The Beast are; the turn out of the second tunnel is so forceful and smooth! :D

But you must just be one of those people that crave aggressive rides then, right?

Laminated veneer if you want to get technical.

From Werner Stengels patent:

3. A wooden rail for a ride, comprising a number of layers of individual wood members, bonded with glue to each other to form an oversized package, from which is milled a precise rail form in accordance with a roller coaster design, and whereinthe precise rail form includes a plurality of layers bonded together to form a core, and one or more further layers bonded to each of a top and a side of the core.

Read more...

http://www.patentgen...nt/6550393.html

Laminated veneer if you want to get technical.

From Werner Stengels patent:

3. A wooden rail for a ride, comprising a number of layers of individual wood members, bonded with glue to each other to form an oversized package, from which is milled a precise rail form in accordance with a roller coaster design, and whereinthe precise rail form includes a plurality of layers bonded together to form a core, and one or more further layers bonded to each of a top and a side of the core.

Read more...

http://www.patentgen...nt/6550393.html

At what point do the "number of layers of individual WOOD members" magically transform themselves into a different material? Prefabs are wooden coasters and no amount of "lead into gold" mumbo jumbo will change that!

^ lol

And at what point did I say they were transformed into a different material? I didn't. Pre-fabs are made of wood... I never said they were not.

So, we agree that prefabs are wooden coasters? Prefab material is wood, just like ice and steam are water and coal and diamonds are carbon!

I always thought pre-fabs were wooden coasters, so I agree with you. 

I think arguing over whether or not Intamin pre-fabs are wooden coasters is foolish. They are unquestionably made of wood, just the same as the Texas Giant is steel and The Villain was wooden. The question is whether or not it deserves its own sub-classification within wooden roller coasters, or if the different composition makes it something related to, but separate from wooden roller coasters entirely.

Humans tend to like categorizing. We like to think we have hierarchies and systems and levels, and that everything can be classified into neat, tidy groups. Would a rose by any other name smell as sweet? Is the word choice in the case of a pre-fabricated wooden coaster really worth discussing, much less arguing over?

El Toro is made of wood. So is Son of Beast.

A diamond is nothing more than carbon. So is graphite.

Intamin pre-fabricated wooden coasters provide an ENTIRELY different experience from "traditional" wooden coasters, and that's what's really on trial here. Yes they are comprised of wood. So technically our world continues to have two main classifications: wood and steel. But we don't like that simplicity, so we also have sitting, standing, inverted, flying, hyper, mega, strata, giga, bobsled, 4th dimension, wild mouse, accelerator, terrain, twister, impulse, mine train coasters, and many many more. And even among wooden coasters, we have terrain, out-and-back, twister, scenic railways, figure-8, bobsled... Any title we give to Intamin's pre-fab coasters is another arbitrary word that some will agree with, some will disagree with.

It is simple evolution.

Just because a coaster was made one way 30 years ago (or anything for that matter) does not mean it cannot be improved.

Some may not agree and will want to split hairs, so be it- they will not change their mind.

It is simple evolution.

Just because a coaster was made one way 30 years ago (or anything for that matter) does not mean it cannot be improved.

Some may not agree and will want to split hairs, so be it- they will not change their mind.

Exactly. For comparison, steel coasters have come a long way from the days of classic Arrow loopers. The two biggest aspects IMO being track design and the introduction of computers throughout the design process. Not so different from the situation with the Intamin pre-fabs and comparisons to traditional woodies.

Getting back to SoB, I really don't see the logic in investing another 20 million towards this ride. Seems like Cedar Fair should check up on the Concorde fallacy blink.gif. An Expedition GeForce-esque ride would look mighty fine in that area and should be close to or under 20 million. Sigh. One can dream....

I would most definitely hold an opposite opinion. Haha

Speaking of which, I love how smooth the retracked portions of The Beast are; the turn out of the second tunnel is so forceful and smooth! :D

But you must just be one of those people that crave aggressive rides then, right?

I would not call SOB aggressive, i always referred to it as INTENSE.

Sadly, I never got the opportunity to experience Sonny with the loop so I can not make a fair comparison of before and after. I can say that I agree with the decision to keep it closed until the ride experience can be improved. Sonny, as it is presently configured is, IMHO, not worth riding. :wacko:

I loved the ride, it was my favorite roller coaster. I guess I'm a wooden coaster fan, or i'm used to rougher wooden coasters as i would always ride The Boss @ SFSL, but I do think the ride needs changed. It's not healthy for the park to have a large coaster sitting dormant. I'd love just to see maybe a MAJOR retracking or layout rework. I thought the only rough part was the bottom of the rose bowl, but that's my opinion.

-MagmMForce247 :)

• 2 weeks later...
I would not call SOB aggressive, i always referred to it as INTENSE.

And some of us just called it terrible.

I just called it Unbearable! Voyage is intense (in a good way).

I rode it for media day and it was ok and the loop was the best part.

Now with the loop gone and ride rough, just get rid of it, cut losses and move on.

^ lol

And at what point did I say they were transformed into a different material? I didn't. Pre-fabs are made of wood... I never said they were not.

So, we agree that prefabs are wooden coasters? Prefab material is wood, just like ice and steam are water and coal and diamonds are carbon!

Sorry to chime in late but I would love to see you drink steam or burn diamonds. Steam was previously in a liquid state and referred to as water. Coal became diamonds over time and with many forces involved. You can't just go backwards and say it's still coal. My house is made up of boards cut from trees but I sure don't call it a tree :lol: Sorry, I had to chime in cuz you totally provided proof that prefab coasters are different from standard wooden coasters. Should they be called the same thing is the true question...

I REALLY COULD NOT CARE LESS (meaning that I don't care now and therefore it is impossible to care less than I do :P but if someone asked, I would probably distinguish between a traditional and pre-fab woodie.

I do see them doing something with SOB in the future but not taking it out of the park. The KI skyline would look so sad and empty =(

I concur, but I'd say that the skyline couldn't be more sad than it is right now with our sad shadow of what Son of Beast once was.

Gives a bittersweet feeling to seeing the park for the first time over the horizon...

I loved the ride, it was my favorite roller coaster. I guess I'm a wooden coaster fan, or i'm used to rougher wooden coasters as i would always ride The Boss @ SFSL, but I do think the ride needs changed. It's not healthy for the park to have a large coaster sitting dormant. I'd love just to see maybe a MAJOR retracking or layout rework. I thought the only rough part was the bottom of the rose bowl, but that's my opinion.

-MagmMForce247 :)

I agree! I always enjoyed the intensity. but I did have some friends who didn't enjoy it as well. hopefully they can do something to keep it up to keep the skyline too, SOB is a staple of KI if it can be running well

Hmmm, so the park announced in June of 2009 that they were shutting down the ride. I wonder when we'll hear something about it's future... man... it's been soo long. Over 2 years since it's shut down and nothing... I know it's the park's ride, but it upsets me that the park keep playing the silent game with us.

Hmmm, so the park announced in June of 2009 that they were shutting down the ride. I wonder when we'll hear something about it's future... man... it's been soo long. Over 2 years since it's shut down and nothing... I know it's the park's ride, but it upsets me that the park keep playing the silent game with us.

I think the lawsuit was finally settled this past year so if they would be brainstorming ideas they would be doing it now. SOB2013!? I freaking hope so... They could be saying whats going on with it in the upcoming announcement. I guess all we can do is wait.

^ I actually don't agree. Son of Beast was i believe was a large staple to the park, even more than Diamondback would of been in 2000. I think Diamondback would be overlooked because of the opening of Millennium Force. Son of Beast is completely different and had it's own specialty that's different to anything else, which really helped Kings Island. I think the park really needs both as Son of Beast is for people who love the feel of a very intense wooden experience, and Diamondback is for people that love a smooth fast-paced airtime filled experience. Those are 2 very different categories, and it's great for one park to have both. It's not extremely common to find a fast paced steel AND wooden coaster. That is something that can bring not only more general guests but more coaster enthusiasts. I don't know about others when I moved to Ohio in 2007 and saw Son of Beast I was disappointed that it was closed. When I heard it opened we were down there in a heart-beat. That's something that I want myself and others to feel again with Son of Beast, emotional but also really excited.

I hope that Cedar Fair will change the ride or make something about the ride (whether it's a different layout major retracking), to make the ride marketable and enjoyable for everyone. For example Cedar Point retracked Mean Streak and did heavy maintenance on the ride and made it a really enjoyable experience, which from what I saw attracted more people to the ride. I actually had to wait for once on a very dead day. I just hope the keep in mind about that guest experience that a great ride can make, and turn Son of Beast into that.

Hope that wasn't confusing or showed my love of wooden coasters ;)

-MagmMForce247

^Agreed. SFMM opened Goliath in 2000, and with the openings of Millennium Force and Steel Dragon 2000, not many people (at least on this half of the country) really cared too much about Goliath. Sure, DB would have been a solid addition even in 2000, but I don't think that it would have had the media attention that SoB did.

I just read this on screascape and thought it was funny.

Son of Beast Returns - Rumor Only - (7/20/11) According to a new rumor sent in, another possible plan of action under heavy consideration for Son of Beast is to hire on the Gravity Group to not only retrack and modify the existing ride, but to also provide a pair of new Timberliner trains for it as well. No word on if this plan is leading out over any of the others yet, but I think they’ll have to make a choice soon.