What`s next for Son of Beast?

fighting31irish

I was expecting worst from Mean Streak when I rode for the first time this summer, but it seemed rather timid to me and it was very enjoyable. But then again it has been worked on, so I yet to have that one traumatizing ride on a wooden roller coaster SOB was apprently notorius for.

More than once, I watched someone step off The Villain and vomit. Now you know there has to be quite a bit of jostling on a wooden coaster to induce that. It was a very strange roller coaster... Didn't it have a section of retro-style trick track that was later removed or something? It was sort of a mess. A nice concept, and a worthwhile effort by Six Flags, but it just never worked out.

^It did have the trick track and it was an absolutely miserable element. The ride was so weird, you'd hit the hills and get this really awesome airtime then you'd get the snot knocked out of you.

Apparently the ride was actually very good when it originally opened, but with age got pretty gnarly.

From my personal experiences and from what I've read, it seems that coasters with Gerstauler trains seem to suck. I always wondered why they never went with better trains for SOB - they bought Gerstaulers and used ones at that. Then again, what manufacturer wanted to make trains for that ride? Probably why they went with Premier originally.

I doubt it was a coincidence... And didn't the trains need widened to fit the ride's wide gauge? That can't have been easy or cheap. But since the ride and trains were heavily modified prior to the re-opening, I imagine everyone had chosen every aspect of the ride carefully. Especially Cedar Fair. They don't usually just throw caution to the wind and try new things without having considered it, so I doubt they haphazardly chose whatever was available.

I do think they will be great once they are up and running. They look like they will offer a very guest friendly ride experience.

As for a launching wooden coaster...I have no doubt that it could be insanely fun...but (in my extremely non-professional opinion) it seems like the upkeep costs would be very very high.

But here's my question - someone mentioned that Disney is infamous for tweaking their rides prior to opening such that they are technically the ones who create the recommendations for the rides and claim it is their original creation legally. Isn't that applicable in Son of Beast's case? I have heard conflicting reports that RCCA is the manufacturer, where other sources say Paramount Parks is. Is that the same as the Disney case, where technically Paramount Parks was the legal manufacturer? And if so, wouldn't that make Cedar Fair the official power now?

I genuinely don't know; I'm asking. Is it different in Ohio because of that mandate about manufacturer's recommendations, such that no ride is altered outside of the recommendations laid down by its original builder, and thus never legally changes ownership? I'm confusing myself now...

Apparently the ride was actually very good when it originally opened, but with age got pretty gnarly.

I went in the early 2000's, and I thought it was really smooth. It was just how it aged I guess. Did you by chance ride it after the retracking? (Which, is when they took out the trick track.)

I rode it on June 23, 2000 and don't remember thinking it was extremely rough...didn't ride it for a few years after that. I rode it, I believe, in 2005 and thought it was too rough, too rough to ride again. Tried it in 2007 when it was re-opened, and swore I'd never ride it again.