What`s next for Son of Beast?

fighting31irish

Just think....if they left the ride just the way it is and Dippin' Dots took it over, they could give you a cup of their stuff with a bit of milk in it, send you on the ride, and at the end you'd have a really different kind of milk shake. What marketing this could be!

Well I officially overheard in the Wolf Pack line Friday night that a security guard told a friend of this woman that KI was waiting on someone to pick up sponsorship to repair and operate S.O.B. because it was too expensive for KI to do the repairs itself.

Mystery Solved!

Finally! Now we can go ahead and close this thread...

Well I officially overheard in the Wolf Pack line Friday night that a security guard told a friend of this woman that KI was waiting on someone to pick up sponsorship to repair and operate S.O.B. because it was too expensive for KI to do the repairs itself.

Mystery Solved!

Sometimes, you learn that telling someone something like that shuts them up so they stop asking you questions.

Sometimes, you learn that telling someone something like that shuts them up so they stop asking you questions.

Personally I would have told them that S.O.B. is sinking faster than Vortex and since they figure they can save Vortex they are just letting S.O.B. slip away until it's gone.

Mystery Solved!

Maybe all the past things that the Dippin' Dots Guy's have been telling us were fake just so that we wouldn't suspect to believe it now? Maybe I smell something too!!!

But I think that this smell is a good one (SOB 2012)

Why shouldn't they? They got that massive park for $145 million, which couldn't even buy Kings Island's five largest rides nowadays. Then they got to distribute a couple great coaster across the country, and Northeast Ohioans got dumped on...

... By the big waterpark bucket, I mean.

SplashLandingBucket2.jpg

But then again...

Even in Ohio's depressed real estate market, Cedar Fair stands to make a good chunk of its initial investment back in land sales. Distributing the dismantled rides will give it a cost-effective way to refresh its remaining regional amusement parks. On paper, it looks good. In reality Cedar Fair's reputation -- like Geauga Lake itself, come late May of next year -- is all wet.

That was written almost exactly four years ago to the day by The Motley Fool... How'd that go, anyway?!

It's the quintessential "heard it from a part timer" reply. People (see Kings Island's Facebook for example) always have a friend of a friend who designs roller coasters for Kings Island (uh, what?) or heard from a ride operator that such-and-such was going to happen. People say, "My friend works at Kings Island in the pretzel stand and they told him that Son of Beast is being demolished. Things like that. For simplicity, we say that these very factual, knowledgable words of wisdom came from "the Dippin' Dots guy."

• Like 1

They forgot the little coaster at Lesourdesville. A least a little urn... or a popcorn cup full of ashes, at least.

Not even a "fried dough" funeral chant.

Far left-hand tombstone reads Screechin' Eagle.

Oh thank you. I'd completely forgotten the Americana name they gave it. I didn't see that tombstone.

They forgot the little coaster at Lesourdesville. A least a little urn... or a popcorn cup full of ashes, at least.

Not even a "fried dough" funeral chant.

Far left-hand tombstone reads Screechin' Eagle.

Oh thank you. I'd completely forgotten the Americana name they gave it. I didn't see that tombstone.

I wasnt aware that that coaster had any other name than The Screechin Eagle. When it was Americana or Lesourdsville Lake.... <_<

Funny, but when I went there, it just had the name "Roller Coaster", being that it was the only one there. I can't recall it's name before it was given the name "Screeching Eagle". The train was just "The Train" and the paddleboat was just "The PaddleBoat", and so on. There was also a big tall fellow who walked around swathed in white robes in later years. He was "The Jesus".

Before being Screechin' Eagle, it was Space Rocket, and long before that, Cyclone. It was on the early Sixties during the Space Age craze that the ride became Space Rocket, part of an effort to make the park seem more modern. The Whip and Flying Skooters got unfortunate car rehabs as part of that.

I think it was 1978 that the ride became Screechin' Eagle.

Yeh, changing the name to Space Rocket would really whip up that modernism. Thanks for the info. I recall the Spacely Sprocket carts in the Whip. I'd asked my dad, King of Unfortunate Lesourdesville Visits, the name of the coaster, he said it was "Cyclone". I guess he eschewed that hip jazzcat stuff you kids were into in the day.

Ringmaster, no way. We would just say, "Let's ride the roller coaster." The only time it was scary is in the last years, when it was held together by 2x4s.

Rode Beast yesterday. Stopped at the tombstone display by the line cue and noticed something. If you look closely at "My Unloved Son" tombstone the death date has been carefully written on and then scratched out. Seeing it through 45 year old eyes, I could swear it looks like 2013. I didn't have a camera, and don't know if it's easier to see at night or day, but has anyone else noticed this?

Rode Beast yesterday. Stopped at the tombstone display by the line cue and noticed something. If you look closely at "My Unloved Son" tombstone the death date has been carefully written on and then scratched out. Seeing it through 45 year old eyes, I could swear it looks like 2013. I didn't have a camera, and don't know if it's easier to see at night or day, but has anyone else noticed this?

Yes, it looks like, when I saw it, that it said 2009, and the 09 was painted over, and, looked like a question mark was scribbled.

I had no camera either.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, first time poster. Finally made an account, but have been reading these forums for a while. I was at the park this past Saturday, October 8th, and while I couldnt decide what the scratched out date was either, the thing that interested me most was the empty shackles. The message I got (if there is any) is that SOB was basically in the grave, but now its not?