What`s next for Son of Beast?

fighting31irish

Nobody said they were announcing anything. A HINT though, I think it is. The shackles were purposely placed where you will notice them. The death date was purposely scratched out so you would notice that too. Death dates aren't put on headstones till after death. Caskets aren't put at the gravesite until after death. The park hasn't said its a gonner or there would be a death date. The way I take it, the Son of Beast was in that casket and has broken out and scratched out the death date. Meaning to me that the park had at some point made the decision to remove it, but a more feasible plan has come forth and the decision has changed. In other words they are saying that Son of Beast was VERY close to being removed but got saved somehow? Though I could be wrong.

• Like 2

I would imagine that they didn't sit around and think of all these minute details to tell some intricate, riddle-esque story about the future of the ride. They're poking fun at themselves, the ride, and us (the people who care so much about these things that they'll notice and build meaning around it). And since this is being discussed so heavily, it worked...

• Like 1

It may mean nothing for the future of the ride. But it was definitely designed to make you wonder. They could have had the same graveyard type prop without taking extra time to write on a date and scratch it off, add caskets, and the shackles layed on top so you wouldnt miss them. That was done purposely for a reason. What that reason is who knows?

But it was definitely designed to make you wonder. They could have had the same graveyard type prop without taking extra time to write on a date and scratch it off, add caskets, and the shackles layed on top so you wouldnt miss them. That was done purposely for a reason.

Kinda like the Beatles walking across Abbey Road with Paul barefoot....designed to make you wonder, done purposely for a reason, and both about death!!!

Who knows? No one who will talk about it.

Consider that those who planned that prop may well know no more about Son of Beast's future than you do. Decisions of that nature are not made at the park level at Cedar Fair. That has

been made quite clear in past conference calls.

At Six Flags, Park Presidents are now given great autonomy in deciding issues such as how capital will be invested at their parks, and they

are held accountable for the consequences of their decisions. At Cedar Fair, the mothership at Sandusky decides and the park managers are

held responsible for executing corporate decisions.

Two very different companies.

Two very different ways of doing business.

The FUN way is not the SIX way.

• Like 1

What I believe is that the prop was just to get us thinking and whomever wrote the date and put the sign and grave up didn't and don't know anything about SOB's future, However I dont think SOB is going anywhere and that it has a GOOD chance of reopening "some day". As far as Cedar Fair goes, I think they most likely already know what their doing with SOB and part of that is not telling anybody (Kings Island) about it yet.

I also think the fact that you had to be in line for Beast says something. Maybe they were thinking that the most hardcore SOB fans would definitely be on Beast, so they put it there to kinda give the fans a little hint. I agree they put it there to get us thinking. Question is why? And what about?

Who knows? No one who will talk about it.

Consider that those who planned that prop may well know no more about Son of Beast's future than you do. Decisions of that nature are not made at the park level at Cedar Fair. That has

been made quite clear in past conference calls.

At Six Flags, Park Presidents are now given great autonomy in deciding issues such as how capital will be invested at their parks, and they

are held accountable for the consequences of their decisions. At Cedar Fair, the mothership at Sandusky decides and the park managers are

held responsible for executing corporate decisions.

Two very different companies.

Two very different ways of doing business.

The FUN way is not the SIX way.

But what will the FUN way be come 1/2/12

It is rideable... or more precisely, bearable, but not the ride experience Kings Island (read Cedar Fair) is looking for.

Hypothetical...if it were completely safe to ride, just uncomfortable...the park could keep it around and only open it during Halloween Haunt every year themed as something like "Journey Into Hell"...then people would think it was cool because it was accurate. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

It is rideable... or more precisely, bearable, but not the ride experience Kings Island (read Cedar Fair) is looking for.

Hypothetical...if it were completely safe to ride, just uncomfortable...the park could keep it around and only open it during Halloween Haunt every year themed as something like "Journey Into Hell"...then people would think it was cool because it was accurate. :rolleyes:

Didn't we have a whole thread about a coaster that was a journey to hell? Oh wait, that was just journey to euthanasia.

• Like 1

As has been said earlier in this thread, and I will completely back this up from personal observation, please ride Adventure Express and look over at SOB as you go up the lift hill on AE. You will then rethink your assessment as to SOBs rideability. I have been in Construction as an Electrician for over 10 years, and I can tell you with 100% conviction that any carpenter Ive met or worked around in those 10 years would take one look at the catwalk structure along the track, and the structure under the catwalk and tell anyone who asked them to walk on it to take a flying leap. That structure is not even walkable any longer, let alone able to withstand the forces of that rollercoaster. I think the powers that be should get a clue and simply give a positive or negative answer as to whether or not this ride will ever run again... though I am 98% positive what the true answer is once you strip away all of the P.R. bullcrap and the "we have not made a decision at this time" garbage. We all know this is not a make or break "I will or will not buy a season pass dependant on the answer" situation... so just spill it and get this entire subject resolved.

I think anyone whose paycheck says "Cedar Fair, LP" in the upper, left-hand corner laughs every time they read this thread.

I agree with whoever said that the Haunt display designers probably know no more than the Dippin' Dots Guy when it comes to the future of SOB. i would agree that CF brass have to know what the future holds for it. It's too large of a structure, too much of a potential insurance liability to leave go, etc...

Personal opinion- given its history of "personal injury" claims- I'm not sure they would find an insurance company that would cover it. My bet is that sometime very soon after November 1- there will be an announcement regarding it's future, and if I'm a bettin' man i'm putting money on it won't be favorable for "fans". Anybody that thinks that CF will announce their thinking before action doesn't pay attention to their past. Geauga Lake patrons were not told that the park wouldn't reopen until it was closed for the season. KI will probably announce it the Day after the park closes for the season so fans of SOB won't chain themselves to the structure in an effort to save it.

• Like 1

And if the ride is to be removed, there won't be any hoopla over it. Kings Island will not call a media meeting and issue a press release and video of Helbig saying the ride will be removed. There's simply no reason to talk about it. That's what was so laughable when people said the three boxes on Facebook represented three things, and that one was Son of Beast's removal. It's like, really? They're unlikely to even officially mention it if it happens, much less announce it via viral marketing...

Perhaps one day it will be mentioned in relation to a replacement. I think it's at least reasonable that they'd request to save up a few years of budget so they can remove it and build something new in its place in one year's work, even if that means the new ride doesn't open till mid-summer. Again, that's just what I think makes the most sense. Doesn't mean it'll be done that way.

GYK, who always liked Son of Beast and would ride it again if it opened as it was in 2007 or 2000, and who would ride a fitting, fun replacement just as quickly.

That was done purposely for a reason. What that reason is who knows?

Probably so the person who made the headstone can sit back at his computer and laugh.

As has been said earlier in this thread, and I will completely back this up from personal observation, please ride Adventure Express and look over at SOB as you go up the lift hill on AE. You will then rethink your assessment as to SOBs rideability. I have been in Construction as an Electrician for over 10 years, and I can tell you with 100% conviction that any carpenter Ive met or worked around in those 10 years would take one look at the catwalk structure along the track, and the structure under the catwalk and tell anyone who asked them to walk on it to take a flying leap. That structure is not even walkable any longer, let alone able to withstand the forces of that rollercoaster. I think the powers that be should get a clue and simply give a positive or negative answer as to whether or not this ride will ever run again... though I am 98% positive what the true answer is once you strip away all of the P.R. bullcrap and the "we have not made a decision at this time" garbage. We all know this is not a make or break "I will or will not buy a season pass dependant on the answer" situation... so just spill it and get this entire subject resolved.

How many of these carpenters you've met or worked around in ten years assess things from a distance while they ride around on a 35 mph roller coaster?

Come on.

Okay, apparently I'm missing something. Can someone please explain to me what's actually changed about the ride between when it stopped operating and now? For it becoming so completely structurally unsound as it allegedly has become since it shut down, it sure looks an awful lot like it always has.

(On second thought, it is Son of Beast... :lol:)

I'm not calling out anyone in particular, but I think people want news so bad that they are trying to find something wrong with the ride for the sake of conversation.

Okay, apparently I'm missing something. Can someone please explain to me what's actually changed about the ride between when it stopped operating and now? For it becoming so completely structurally unsound as it allegedly has become since it shut down, it sure looks an awful lot like it always has.

(On second thought, it is Son of Beast... :lol:)

I'm not calling out anyone in particular, but I think people want news so bad that they are trying to find something wrong with the ride for the sake of conversation.

I did snap a pic of that on Sunday. I will try to post it tomorrow. From a non-carpenter, does not look in tip-top condition...but, what do I know?

Guest TombraiderTy

^Evaluating the sturdiness and structural integrity of a roller coaster from such a far distance, whether at a standstill or slowly ascending a lift-hill, still isn't an accurate way of determining the ride's condition.

Edit - Oh. And I've ridden Express a fair share of times this year. Never once have I spotted anything unusual or unsafe about Son of Beast. It doesn't look too different than it did back in 2009 when it shut-down.