What`s next for Son of Beast?

fighting31irish

Well I just read over on the Point that the Big Dipper was to be torn down and in a later post it says someone is buying it and putting it in storage to be reassembled somewhere else. (Thats the other exumed casket next to SOB)

You guys are looking way too far into this.

Something I didn't expect from this crowd!

And it will not matter how many times you point that out because it'll just be followed with fifteen posts of people nit picking every detail trying to find the answer to a question in the decorations of a special event.

They did a similar prop set up last year and people tried to make sense of it as if it was some sort of divine prophecy, I bet they enjoyed their rides on Son of Beast this year.

Such decisions at Cedar Fair are made in Sandusky, not Mason, Ohio.

Terp, just saying...

"No decision has been made at this time."

As has been said earlier in this thread, and I will completely back this up from personal observation, please ride Adventure Express and look over at SOB as you go up the lift hill on AE. You will then rethink your assessment as to SOBs rideability. I have been in Construction as an Electrician for over 10 years, and I can tell you with 100% conviction that any carpenter Ive met or worked around in those 10 years would take one look at the catwalk structure along the track, and the structure under the catwalk and tell anyone who asked them to walk on it to take a flying leap.

I don't understand how being in construction as an electrician for over 10 years qualifies a person to make a statement about the stability of a structure being seen from a distance while in motion.

I bet if you told KI maintenance that you can determine a structure's stability from a distance, while in motion, they would also tell you to take a flying leap.

Could SoB operate tomorrow? No. Could it operate opening day 2012? Yes.

As has been said earlier in this thread, Blue Streak (1938) at Conneaut Lake Park was SBNO from end of season 2006 till September 2010. While it needed some some much needed maintenance, once the money was available in June 2010 it quickly was up and running in Sept.

• Like 3

I don't know why Cedar Point gets to fix Mean Streak right now when SOB is first in line? but you know Cedar Point is Cedar Fairs premier park :rolleyes:

and that's why Canada's Wonderland is getting the 1st B&M over 300 ft right?! I wonder how similar it is to the design they pitched CF for Millie.

SOB and Meanstreak are very different situations... and I'm actually a Meanstreak fan now. WOW! that looks weird in text!

I felt kind of sorry for SOB the other night. All the other rides are lit up with people enjoying themselves, and there it sat in the dark, like the old crazy aunt who stole all the popcorn balls that one Halloween.

Then I remembered that the station was being used as a grunge den of hairy.

As much as I don't want to ask this for fear of stirring up the rumor mill... Does anyone else see red steel cross-beams in the last two pictures? (They look a bit like the cross-sections on Arrow track that connect the rails to the spline.) Or is the blue tint of the pictures playing tricks on my eyes? Or have I not paid that much attention before now, and they've always been there?

EDIT: Should be noted in case someone misunderstands... I'm not talking about how the cross-beams are positioned. I've just never noticed the red-ish beams before.

http://coaster-net.c...post__p__244918

not to beat a dead horse, but these photos make me re-think wanting to ride this again!!!!

Interesting-when were these taken?

Even if they were taken yesterday, what does it prove? The cross ties in that section have always looked like that.

As for the reader asking about the red beams, those are steel. That's what the extra bracing added after the 06 incident looks like. There's photos of it in the state report which can be found online.

Sorry!! face palm!! Did not mean to get any thing started.

I have been waiting (just like many of you) for any new information, All most every day I check around for any thing new. I just came across those photos and they made me re-think about the structure. Looking at examples below, Why are the cross members not flush with the track? To me it looks like the building crew half as*** this!! Can some one agree with this, or am i totally wrong?

http://www.barge2rail.com/img/Untitled.jpg

I see why they below cross members are the way that they are due to the bend. This photos looks normal.

http://www.barge2rail.com/img/1.jpg

^ This is how I think all of the track should look like. Except for the high speed bends.

http://www.barge2rail.com/img/2.jpg

I guess what I'm try to get at is that there must be something bigger that we all over look that is keeping the park and or Cedar Fair from rehabbing or re-tracking this ride. Other than money!

http://coaster-net.c...post__p__244918

not to beat a dead horse, but these photos make me re-think wanting to ride this again!!!!

Interesting-when were these taken?

Even if they were taken yesterday, what does it prove? The cross ties in that section have always looked like that.

As for the reader asking about the red beams, those are steel. That's what the extra bracing added after the 06 incident looks like. There's photos of it in the state report which can be found online.

Posted 21 August 2011 - 04:46 PM

^

His post was in August so I 'm to assume that it was around this date.

That poor horse. He died so long ago and people keep beating him like a drum.

And I thought this horse had been sent to the glue factory long ago.

Some of us didn't even know this was a horse. :lol:

With the name Son Of BEAST one would assume that it is some type of large beast of a creature not a horse :lol: