What`s next for Son of Beast?

fighting31irish

My opinion is that this coaster is probably getting 1 more chance and that will be in 2013.

Why do you believe SoB deserves 1 more chance & what makes you believe it is 2013?

I think it is 2013 because if KI was to do anything with it at all they couldn't do it in 2012 unless they have secretly already started

with construction because what ever they do will take quite a while. So 2013 I believe will be the year of the return of SOB.

Second, I believe it deserves another chance because it is the worlds tallest, fastest wooden roller coaster and anyone who never got

to ride it but wanted to was turned away with no notice that it would be closed for 2+ years, while most coasters are given final rides or at least

a more in depth explanation for closing reasons. KI would not have let it sit this long if they weren't going to do something with it and I think

with Action Zone being the next in line for an update/remodel, SOB will be the start of that renovation of Action Zone. SOB Project 2013

• Like 2

Yesterday, it is said, Mr. Don Helbig stated no decision has been made about Son of Beast. Assuming, arguendo, that that be so, it's mighty late in the typical planning cycle to be making decisions about a major new/remodeled ride debuting in 2013 in the same location as Son of Beast.

A rhetorical question...could Mr. Helbig either: (a) purposely not have been told of Son of Beast's decided fate, to make his job easier? And/or ( b )

Could a decision to raze the ride already have been made with only the timing thereof left to be decided?

One thing is clear. Cedar Fair is in the amusement business, with a goal of safely and profitably providing FUN for the public and distributions for unit holders. A standing but not operating Son of Beast does not seem to be the highest and best use for the real property on which it sits. Change WILL come.

I think it is 2013 because if KI was to do anything with it at all they couldn't do it in 2012 unless they have secretly already started with construction because what ever they do will take quite a while. So 2013 I believe will be the year of the return of SOB.

This reason is, at best, vague. It sounds more of a personal hope than a reason.

Second, I believe it deserves another chance because it is the worlds tallest, fastest wooden roller coaster and anyone who never got to ride it but wanted to was turned away with no notice that it would be closed for 2+ years, while most coasters are given final rides or at least a more in depth explanation for closing reasons.

As opposed to 15+ years ago, records are a minor part of a ride's attraction today. The competition for -est between parks became so tainted (i.e. highest full circut coaster, fastest coaster in midwest, most coasters at one park) and changed so often, it has turned off guests.

Also- you really need a more in depth explanation than safety as to why SoB closed? And there has been no notice of SoB being closed? Really? You must be joking.... The last time a park goer did zero planning and traveled down the holiday road; a moose was assaulted, park security was treated like a dog with another park security member being shot in the behind with a BB gun.

KI would not have let it sit this long if they weren't going to do something with it
Why not? What does a SBNO ride hurt? Other parks have down the same thing.
and I think with Action Zone being the next in line for an update/remodel, SOB will be the start of that renovation of Action Zone. SOB Project 2013

How does anyone know what is in line next for an update/ remodel, and, if an update/ remodel did happen to be true for AZ, you believe KI has waited to work on SoB for the supposed update/ remodel date?

I can sense your frustration with a ride that can be seen, but not enjoyed, but honestly, grasping onto dream scenarios is a set-up for disappointment.

• Like 1

I was at the GOCC party on 12/10/11, I can confirm what Terpy has heard. Don stated, "No decision has been made." He did state that he understands we all want an answer, and would let everyone know when that decision is made.

Don talked about corresponding with someone that stated something along the lines of "It would be a tragedy if SOB did not open in 2013." Don brought up that a family of KI has had a real tragedy with the loss of their loves one, KI performer Morgan Judd. Her sudden death is a tragedy, SOB's fate not being determined yet is not.

It makes me think, what got us excited about going to KI? What made you fall in love to the point of joining a fan site and possibly a coast club? I doubt worrying about a coaster operation, trim breaks, and pot holes was in your mind at the time!

I doubt worrying about a coaster operation, trim breaks, and pot holes was in your mind at the time!

Enthusiasts visit the park easily more often during a season than anyone else.

Guests that visit the park 1-2 times per year will typically see "new" things and don't sweat the small stuff. For enthusiasts that visit 6+ times per year, there is nothing new to see, and typically look for things to change.

I don't know if SOB deserves 1 more chance or not, I wish it would get done, but will live if they tear and down and put up something else.

But, why 2013? To me, its pretty simple, if you look at the track of improvements made around the park, that is the last area left to get major attention. Firehawk added something back by Flight of Fear, The Diamonback spruced up Rivertown, WindSeeker and Dino's Alive spruced up that area, the water park is getting its treatment this season. Rivertown usually pretty busy, Coney Mall is usually pretty crowded, walk over to Action Zone and its dead. We typically watch the fireworks by the ice cream station in Action Zone. Its a great spot to catch them, I don't think we had a single person sit down at one of those tables to catch the fireworks at night. The action around that area is pretty dead, walk back to Top Gun and the ride is usually dead.

SOB should be the anchor of this part of the park, it should be the reason people go back to ride Flight Deck or Amazon Falls. Unless you really like drop zone, its an area that seems ignored. If you're laying the groundwork for a trip to the park, Flight Deck goes from a "awe just skip it, not worth the time" ride to a "hey lets catch this after we get off SOB"

If/when they get around to improving Action Zone SOB should be addressed one way or another. If you think having a skyline adjusting ride like SOB, SBNO doesn't hurt you're fooling yourself. How many kids have come thru ohio w/ their parents on a trip to KI, have seen that ride and said "cool" only to find out it can't be ridden. Kind of takes away from the whole experience, leaves you wanting more. You don't miss what you don't see, so it would be better to just tear it down then leave it standing forever with no goal of making the needed improvements to get it running again.

Did you say "The Diamondback"?

**Shivers**

My thoughts exactly on that post. :rolleyes:

I am really surprised no decisions have been made yet on what to do with the ride, but if you really step back and think it has only been 2 FULL seasons of the ride being close, 3 overall seasons of it being closed. That isn't a terribly long time compared to oh say Drachen Fire that closed down in 1998, was put up for sale in 1999, lay dormant until opening day 2001 where a train was circuiting the course to possibly re-open the ride, and then demolished in February of 2002.

• Like 1

Don't forget (even thought this might totally wrong info by now) that Kinzel mentioned at Coaster Mania that CF was looking at several different options for SOB. He also went on to state they were waiting to see how some new technologies applied to other coasters like the TG treatment have worked out before moving forward. It could be another 2 seasons before they have good enough data on a new application like that before a intelligent decision can be made for SOB. Then, you have to figure in when are they going to have room in the budget to apply the said fix or removal...

KI not making a quick decision shows me they are thinking things out and want to make a rational decision . Making a quick decision to please the enthusiasts is not rational.

• Like 1

Did you say "The Diamondback"?

**Shivers**

My thoughts exactly on that post. :rolleyes:

I am really surprised no decisions have been made yet on what to do with the ride, but if you really step back and think it has only been 2 FULL seasons of the ride being close, 3 overall seasons of it being closed. That isn't a terribly long time compared to oh say Drachen Fire that closed down in 1998, was put up for sale in 1999, lay dormant until opening day 2001 where a train was circuiting the course to possibly re-open the ride, and then demolished in February of 2002.

Remember that Drachen Fire was a steel coaster not wooden. I think sometimes a steel coaster could last longer SBNO than a woodie. :D

Information available to the public indicates the ride was/is closed because the park's general manager is not satisfied with the ride experience. The State of Ohio has, at a point after the closure, cleared the ride for operation, but the ride has not re-opened. Why it closed most recently in the first place has, to my

knowledge, never been publicly stated.

I'd not assume the situation with the woman claiming a burst blood vessel was the reason. Just because b follows a does not necessarily mean a caused b. Perhaps. Perhaps not.

I doubt anyone can tell you exactly what led to SoB being closed. The park GM once stated he was not happy with the ride experience. Beyond that, one must look at the totality of the ride history for reasons including:

- The accident in 2006 that led to many lawsuits, settlements, and in one case a judgement against CF

- Multiple incidents of ride complaints including the most recent head injury claim from 2009

Edit - I should have assumed terpy was also typing a response.

Can someone explain to me exactly what led to Son of Beast's closing? Did that lady who had major headaches win in a lawsuit? Or did Kings Island just close it because they knew it was too rough, and many people disliked it?

i don't keep up much.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

When my Uncle and I went to the park back in 2005, we rode SOB, it was his first time.It was a very rough ride as usual. The rest of the day he wouldnt ride anything else because his back hurt, he had troubles with his back after that, and eventually had to get back surgery a year later. he never pursued a lawsuit because he would never do that. He had had hurt his back years before but didnt have troubles with it as recent as 2005, but he pretty much knew he took a risk when he rode it knowing he had back problems before. Plus i warned him it was rough. heck I even had bruises on my legs, but I knew what to expect when riding it. But again i only weight like 105 lbs, so i get beat around pretty good when i ride wooden coasters. lol

I definetly don't mind the roughness. Though, I don't remember how rough it was, because I haven't rode it for 3 years!!!!!! The Beast is rough, but I like it. I actually rode SOB on the last day of operation, I forgot exacly what day, but June 2009. Later that day I hear somebody complained she got hurt, and SOB will be closed, but it's inapropriate to state when it will reopen. I just wonder if I rode SOB on the last day of operation.