What`s next for Son of Beast?

fighting31irish

Hiring people with the competence to make a decision in less than three years > what CF has now!

Until mid-last year one person and one person only had de facto authority to make/veto any operational decisions at Cedar Fair, subject only to some rather dire financial costraints, all while claiming not to be a finance guy. That era, and its sometimes nickel wise and long term foolish

decisions (and intense involvement by creditors), is well and truly in the past now.

Put another way, a decision maker, delegator, and empowerer has been hired. There were and are many smart people at Cedar Fair, though many left or were forced to leave under prior management. Now, they will hopefully no longer have to hide their knowledge merely to survive the authoritarian autocrat who once ran the place.

Although all hope is not lost and I still believe SOB has at least 5 years in him if Re-constructed,

I am giving up on my tirade about Son of Beast but...

When (if) Kings Island decides to wake him from hibernation he will probably return as the most

massive (not heart attack) roller coaster in history and rise above all of the rest (The Beast) to become something great.

I still believe SOB has at least 5 years in him if Re-constructed,

So, if rebuilt it might last only 5 years? That is not a good investment and not worth the 12 or more months to do the rebuild. If a fix is to be applied, it should last a lot longer than 5 years.

When (if) Kings Island decides to wake him from hibernation he will probably return as the most

massive (not heart attack) roller coaster in history and rise above all of the rest (The Beast) to become something great.

If SoB returns, it will certainly retain a "most massive" claim.

The "most massive" price tag for a wood coaster on planet Earth.

It's not doing them any good, after all, so why shouldn't they give it to the fans?

Spare parts and scrap metal that save and generate cash > Appeasing fan boys.

First off, why should everything come down to a bottom line? Secondly, it is hard to define where that bottom line actually is. Who is to say that the park would not make more in the end from the goodwill of appeasing fan boys than selling something for scrap metal prices? A happy "fan boy" is probably going to be spending even more money at the park because they feel they have a special bond to it.

Over the years in the record store where I work we have received TONS of amazing promotional posters and items that we could have sold for big money...and I did turn down some nice offers...but we would always just give them away, by doing that we had loyal customers. ( We are the last standing record store in our town...we outlasted 6 other stores.)

Here is a nice item that the park gave away to some of it's employees back in 1989:

coinemployee.jpg

I have a feeling that in today's world this would never happen because of that almighty "bottom line" mentality...the park would be handing out printed certificates. :(

• Like 2

Typically, the pricetag for a destruction/ demolition project has all the possible useable/ valuable material being sold by the demolition company.

Unless requested, KI will not see any material saved for memorabilia.

That said, why would anyone even want a piece of SoB? A failure that caused pain (literally & figuratively) & spent millions of dollars is not something I would want to be remembered.

I am guessing that when most people say that they would like a piece of a ride it is just like Goodyellowkorn...just a minute little piece as a keepsake. Just one timber of Son of Beast cut into small chunks would be MORE than enough to "appease" the fan boys...I consider that cheap goodwill.

There are some people on this site who appear to be fairly level-headed individuals who brag they they have a piece of a ride on their computer tables that they are using as a paper weight...is that so bad? To each their own, everyone appreciates different things in life...which is what makes the world an interesting place. :)

• Like 6

I wish they would tear it down, and build other stuff back in there, get it out of misery, or kids teens and adults asking what is that?

Sure I would love to ride it over and over, again but the price tag to rebuild safely seems hi.

Hope I get a piece of the timber, from the only looping, fastest, tallest wooden mommoth known to man.

The question is will ever have as fast wooden coaster?, as tall?, or even a loop or two?

Time will tell, but Son of Beast was something.

I still say parts of it will go to the NATIONAL ROLLER COASTER MUSEUM, for display,

for being tall,fast, and looped wooden coaster.

It's not doing them any good, after all, so why shouldn't they give it to the fans?

Spare parts and scrap metal that save and generate cash > Appeasing fan boys.

First off, why should everything come down to a bottom line? Secondly, it is hard to define where that bottom line actually is. Who is to say that the park would not make more in the end from the goodwill of appeasing fan boys than selling something for scrap metal prices? A happy "fan boy" is probably going to be spending even more money at the park because they feel they have a special bond to it.

What it comes down to, in my opinion, is it worth going through the hassle of salvaging things to auction or give as gifts? If this ride was a classic (let's say The Beast), I could see it. However, this is Son of Beast, its reputation isn't a good one.

Over the years in the record store where I work we have received TONS of amazing promotional posters and items that we could have sold for big money...and I did turn down some nice offers...but we would always just give them away, by doing that we had loyal customers. ( We are the last standing record store in our town...we outlasted 6 other stores.)

That's great and awesome and I'm glad to see there's people like you still out there. That kind of mentality is the reason why I like shopping at the local shops downtown and in OTR. The personal connection you get when you visit small business like that.

Here is a nice item that the park gave away to some of it's employees back in 1989:

(Image)

I have a feeling that in today's world this would never happen because of that almighty "bottom line" mentality...the park would be handing out printed certificates. :(

That's an awesome token of appreciation right there.

Well I guess you're just not sentimental. Well I'm sorry to inform you some people are.

Yeah, while channel surfing, I have seen many sentimental people on Hoarders.

;)

I believe I saw a browns fan on that show the other night... just sayin' LOL!

I have a chunk of the turf from when Ohio State beat that team up north in 2002. I am sure if the Browns did something significant, that you may want something from that.

"Full time staff"

No, it'd probably be gold now.

Food for thought:

If Son of Beast did reopen, under the assumption that the same amount of people would be going into the park everyday, it would draw a BIG number of people to it, therefore causing many other ride lines to be shorter, thus possibly cancelling out the Fast Pass lanes. If CF wants to do anything with it, though, they need to act fast. Those "cracked beams and loose bolts" won't fix themselves...

What? The ride had already been cleared for operation by the State of Ohio. In fact, it reopened and operated during public days for many, many days after those "cracked beams and loose bolts" apparently caused the July 2006 incident. So, those were fixed long ago.

The reason for the most recent closure has been publicly stated as that the park's general manager is not happy with the ride experience.

In addition, you seem to assume those drawn to Son of Beast would come from other lines in the park, to the extent Fast Lane would be canceled out.

Three problems: First, after capex/major repair costs, a ride had better be drawing additional riders to the park, plus their families and friends.

Second, Fast Lane is highly profitable. Why would the park make major investments to reduce profits?

Third, the decision about what to do about Son of Beast is in large part a cost/benefits analysis where numerous alternatives need to be explored and a best buy chosen. The enthusiast preferred plan may not win the analysis. And every alternative has benefits, every alternative has costs. Here, ironically, the so-called without project condition includes a standing but not operating ride...a condition that has its very own costs and few if any benefits.

One thing is nearly certain. The decision making process under the new regime is more inclusive and more sophisticated than it was before.