What`s next for Son of Beast?

fighting31irish

Over the years, I've been lucky enough to have worked with a few coaster video shoots - one for FOF and one for Diamondback. People would get to ride the ride over and over and over again. I can't imagine what happened to the poor souls who had to do that on Son of Beast.

Anyone remember the footage of those riders? There was a kid up front wearing goggles on his head...

I've done Media Day ride marathons during filming for Italian Job and Diamondback, and NatGeo shoots for FOF and Beast. But Son of Beast? Ouch... I hope they had an ambulance on standby.

The General Manager says the ride is not open because he is unhappy with the ride experience....

ride experience meaning ? could this be a simple as comfort or more ? oh if we only had answers ;)

SoB is not SBNO because it was uncomfortable.

^ So what your saying is Son of Beast would of been the greatest coaster to ever to be made if it was made in the 70's-80's.

Just trying to stay on topic.

Or if this was the 70s/80s the ride would have been dismantled by now.... the comfort of the ride is not the problem....

i have been lurking for a long time here. it all started when i went to ki for my birthday last year. i live on nky so it isn't a far travel, i just don't go often. last summer was the first time i had gone in at least five years. myself, i had never rode the ride. i am twenty, and in SOB's prime time, i was much too "young" to ride that ride, as my mom would tell me.

what brought me to this website: the sun was setting and my friends had gone off to ride top gun/flight deck. i was watching the other rides when i heard someone talking about that "eye sore." an outsider, of course, whom had no idea of what it was or the amount of people for/against its lively hood. until that moment, i never paid attention to the fact that it was sbno. i saw it sitting there, with the sun going down, and it just looked miserable. the lady, the outsider was right, in my opinion. it was an eye sore.

for me, it isn't about the ride so much. when i was a kid, my family and i would go to Kings Island weekly, i'd say. the SoB being shut down for me is another piece of my childhood slipping away. i remember wanting to ride all the "adult" rides my brother got to ride. i always said i would ride SoB when i was older. do i want to? not now, no. I am just one of those people who refuse to call the new names by anything other than pki names, and really, wouldn't recall their new names if it weren't for this site! those names are what i know and love. change--such a dreadful thing.

it looks sad, basically my two cents. which i know has been said over and over. although it costs them nothing, i hope for 2013 or even 2014 they focus on that area. that giant, lonely track just sitting there, yes causes so many questions (& because of those questions, people like me ene up lurkers here) but again, my opinion, it kind of takes that fun and excitement away for just a second. it also made me doubt the ability of ki's safety... but only for a minute until i decided to ride something else.

anything ki could do to it, i could accept with open arms. i, like many, just want to see SOMETHING! Even a restaurant would do... at least it'd be operating :P

• Like 2

^What do you mean both made the news? I don't recall an accident on The Bat being in the news.

Sorry. Word tangle. Browntggr made reference to both the Cobra and the Top Flight accidents. Those were the incidents I was referring to as making the news.

Yeah... not to rain on your parade, but you might as well look into the Save Son of Beast page on Facebook if you're wanting somewhere to rally. Those guys are pretty crazy about the coaster. (Not that it'll force a decision for KI, like The Interpreter said.)

They don't own the land back there???

I said they could buy it.

The power of underlining is great.

Yeah, it is, but you could also just answer the poster's question instead of trying to speak in riddles. One member does that on here sometimes, he's really good at it (hint: I'm not referring to you or speaking in a riddle).

To answer your question westcoaster: depending on what your opinion of "behind" the ride is, they do and they don't own the land. You can take a look at the Warren County website to view property lines and titles if you'd like. Kings Island owns most of their land in certain directions all the way back towards the river. Heading towards Great Wolf Lodge the property line eventually ends as they sold off a parcel of land that was once the campground. That land is now a luxury hotel with an indoor waterpark.

And as aside: Son of Beast currently sits on land that was once occupied by the Wild Animal Habitat safari monorail. Even after that attraction closed, much of its infrastructure sat in place until they decided to build something else there in a day before there were Facebook pages.

• Like 1

And as aside: Son of Beast currently sits on land that was once occupied by the Wild Animal Habitat safari monorail. Even after that attraction closed, much of its infrastructure sat in place until they decided to build something else there in a day before there were Facebook pages.

Good point. I could definitely see this happening. The Wild Animal Habitat's closing was announced though, correct?

I have created a Facebook page to start a movement to get a decision made about the Son of Beast!

Please join at

http://www.facebook.com/opsob

3 Years is enough! We want a decision Kings Island!

I'm sure your SoB FB page will encourage KI/CF to move forward more than the other SoB FB pages.

http://www.facebook....797142262842125

Good point. I could definitely see this happening. The Wild Animal Habitat's closing was announced though, correct?

It was announced, after the park closed for the year.

I just had to join in! My wife and i rode Son of Beast several times and one day she freaks out and says she felt jerked as if a support had moved and i couldnt tell any difference. We got off the ride and she said "never again,something was wrong".I Laughed at her and 40 minutes later the ride has never been open since! Funny thing is she never was injured on S.o.B but messed her back up on gemini last fall(of all the rides!). Not really funny but still! I really enjoyed S.o.B and his out of control temper but his daddy last fall seems to be getting pretty rough himself,ive rode The Beast since 82 when me and my cousin were seven and he busted his face on the bar and got blood on me and i never seen him so rough since then.

Hi KIC. i think SOB should be ether torn down or repaired because its a real embarasment. My dad and my 2 bros rode it back in 2005 and said it was great except the "rosebowl"and dad said it felt like something ruptured(not really). then they scared me by telling stories about how it got stuck in the loop and a person died on it. It was a big letdown that it wasnt open in aug. of 2011(when i went there for the first time since 2005) went there but it dosent ruin your day.

Remove SOB. Overgrown wooden coasters creep me out. Going to the Louisville Convention Center kills me because of the weeds growing through the tracks of the coasters at KK. I don't care if they do nothing with the space yet; just remove it. Or take a weed whacker to it all season.