What`s next for Son of Beast?

fighting31irish

They need to make up their minds and do SOMETHING! I, personally loved Sonny.

But when riding Adventure Express, especially at night, looking over and seeing SoB standing dormant is pretty eerie and creepy, and just plain SAD.

• Like 1

I have to admit that I'm surprised that the 2012 season has kicked off and there Is no announcement or indication of activity on the SoB site.

Personally, I beleive a decision has been made (and agreed to now by the new boss), but the park is not ready to share this news yet.

I don't know what this means, but I'm thinking replacement attractions in Action Zone in 2014 earliest.

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

^Why do you capitalize Beast? Son of Beast.

I was thinking exactly that as I was reading his post. Then I scrolled down to your post. What is it they say about great minds?

I distinctly remember when Paramount Parks had the annoying habit of emphasising new attractions by using nothing but CAPITAL LETTERS. It still happens, but not nearly as much it seems. I just find it slightly aggravating.

The decision regarding what to do with Son of Beast is a very complex issue and I am sure Cedar Fair is consider all options when it comes to SOB. Do they tear it down and wait before announcing what will go in its place? Do they repair it and open it as it is now? Do they rebuild it? Do they tear it down and announce at the same time they are going to build another roller coaster (wood or steel) or do they build another record breaking roller coaster in its place? What are the cost of all the options and what will it cost to borrow the funds for the expansion? These are just some of the complex issues in this business decision. But I would tend to think whatever decision they make, it will be to announce another major roller coaster to replace it (if they go that route). But with this being said, I think it should be replace with another wood coaster and not a steel coaster. As for some discussion of building a hyper mega steel coaster with 300 plus drop hills and mega loops and high G forces and such, what would be the reaction when the first guest complains of getting injured by riding this hyper coaster?

If they did take down SOB, how feasible is it to re-purpose that space? I know there's a lot of land down there, but I would think that valley would present some real challenges getting people down in that area.

If they did take down SOB, how feasible is it to re-purpose that space? I know there's a lot of land down there, but I would think that valley would present some real challenges getting people down in that area.

They could fill it in, couldn't they? They did just dig up a bunch of dirt, right? And they could always use the land around SoB anyway for extra dirt.

Personally, I believe the Son of Beast should be brought back, even for one season, just for the riders that want to have one more chance to experience it. I only rode it once when I was younger (it had the loop) and I had an experience and a half with that ride (my head was sucked into the my lap bar and I couldn't move...) Anyways, I'd like to ride it at least one more time and buy a photo of me on the ride. I know it probably isn't feasible, but still.

No body is spending the money to open up SOB for 1 more season. Think about the cost of just getting the station and track up to par, the cost would far outweight the benefit. You can certainly fill in the valley behind SOB, but the cost would be extremely high, fill dirt isn't exactly free and the amount that you would need would be huge.

Now what you could do, is use Action Zone as a "launching point" for several coasters if SOB was removed. You'd probably have to take out the go-karts and timberwolf theater (is it still called that?) to get stations in, perhaps amazon falls as well, but if you had one that turned right and ran around Adventure Express like part of SOB does today, one that ran outside straight out from the current SOB station area and one that ran out left of flight deck (I'm not sure if the property lines and great wolf lodge would permit that), perhaps even squeeze in one more in that area if they so desired. It would seem awfully crowded however, and would obviously be on an extended time line.

another thought, a Church is now using the old showecase cinemas across the street. One of my thoughts when the theatre closed, was for KI to buy that area as a parking lot for buses and RVs. Then with that save part of parking, you could fit a pretty good sized coaster b/w what is now timberwolf and the last north-eastern most part of the parking lot. Not sure how much it would cost to acquire the land the old theater sits in, nor how valuable timberwolf is to the park, and if something could be replecated elsewhere in the park for its limited use (ie, how many does the stage area behind the Eiffel Tower hold? Could you put tickets in there for things like spirit song, so that the people with tickets would be up close, while the rest of the park could enjoy the music as well? Would you get more benefit out of that long term?