What`s next for Son of Beast?

fighting31irish

Okay, so let's recap today's action in the What's Next For Son of Beast? forum, shall we?

BY THE NUMBERS:

- 4 posts about the knowledge of new decisions being made about Kings Island

- 3 funny pictures

- 7...? 7 whats?

- 4 posts about the demolition of SoB, including one about Delirium being used as a wrecking ball for SoB?

- countless amounts of sarcasm

WHAT WE LEARNED(...?)

- some people are bent on destroying SoB in any way possible

- we have two new Dippin' Dots guys working at the park!

- the SoB station is apparently a werewolf lounge

- Timberwolf hosts one magical weekend of music all year, and it is named Jeebus Fest

(Don't get offended by this post, please. All in good humor, right?)

• Like 5

Hey, I heard it's haunted by werewolves - packs of them. Is this really true?

No. They do not haunt the area. They lounge about in old chairs and admire the collections of items they've obviously purloined and artistically arranged on the wall.

Explain to me how a gaggle of barroom furniture nailed to the wall in the style of vertigo and bicycle wheels strewn about is considered "artistically arranged"? I swear, werewolves these days have no sense of style. They can't Feng shui their way out of a cardboard box, let alone a cabin in the woods, and now they feel the need to run around in nothing but cutoff shorts in their human form? I've all but given up on being afraid of them.*

*If anyone has noticed, I'm poking fun at the Wolf Pack attraction for Haunt, which was one of the best houses of last season.

Okay, so let's recap today's action in the What's Next For Son of Beast? forum, shall we?

BY THE NUMBERS:

- 4 posts about the knowledge of new decisions being made about Kings Island

- 3 funny pictures

- 7...? 7 whats?

- 4 posts about the demolition of SoB, including one about Delirium being used as a wrecking ball for SoB?

- countless amounts of sarcasm

WHAT WE LEARNED(...?)

- some people are bent on destroying SoB in any way possible

- we have two new Dippin' Dots guys working at the park!

- the SoB station is apparently a werewolf lounge

- Timberwolf hosts one magical weekend of music all year, and it is named Jeebus Fest

(Don't get offended by this post, please. All in good humor, right?)

I think you've summed it up perfectly.

• Like 1

I say we bring back the King Cobra track with the trains and use Son of Beast's station and supports as part of the construction. Then we move the building from the Crypt over and use that as the main entrance.

We can do it guys!

(I hope it doesn't sink after all the work we put into it.)

• Like 1

I say we bring back the King Cobra track with the trains and use Son of Beast's station and supports as part of the construction. Then we move the building from the Crypt over and use that as the main entrance.

We can do it guys!

Would also need to re-use the que for Flight Commander, the supports for the Sky Ride to reach across the park, and, the cars for The Bat.

We can do it guys!

Would also need to re-use the que for Flight Commander, the supports for the Sky Ride to reach across the park, and, the cars for The Bat.

The finale: use the splashdown from KCKC with Papa Smurf laughing at you for riding willingly.

• Like 1

Eureka! We have the 7 things...gonna throw out the Crapt building, as they are still using it. 7 defunct rides, all rolled into one. Flight Commander que, SOB station, KC track, Bat cars, Sky Ride supports, KCKC splashdown, and Papa Smurf laughing as you re enter the station.

I hope Matt, Greg, and Don are keeping a careful eye on this thread. This is a billion dollar idea!

Eureka! We have the 7 things...gonna throw out the Crapt building, as they are still using it. 7 defunct rides, all rolled into one. Flight Commander que, SOB station, KC track, Bat cars, Sky Ride supports, KCKC splashdown, and Papa Smurf laughing as you re enter the station.

I hope Matt, Greg, and Don are keeping a careful eye on this thread. This is a billion dollar idea!

That may be the best idea yet! But along with the creepy, demented storyline of Son of Beast, I'm not sure how we'll Papa Smurf laughing would work out..... :D

Finally! Our seven question has been answered!

This will make for an interesting photoshop... ;)

Smurf Valley coming 2013:

Replacing Action Zone:

Flying smurf (formerly flight deck)

2 new family rides one a mushroom tea cup type ride:

Oh the possiblity!

A live stage show on the new Smurf stage (formerly timberwolf).

• Like 1

Smurf Valley coming 2013:

Replacing Action Zone:

Flying smurf (formerly flight deck)

2 new family rides one a mushroom tea cup type ride:

Oh the possiblity!

A live stage show on the new Smurf stage (formerly timberwolf).

Thats something to look forward to, and even the new Smurf Drop!

I believe that Son of Beast will be no more. I would love to see the Texas Giant overhaul, but I don't see that happening or maybe Cedar Fair might of hinted on that option. With the cost of the Iron Horse steel track, KI could replace SOB with another attraction. I hope something like a Gravity Group wooden coaster. The cost of the re-tracking could be around 10m.(give or take a few million) but, the Voyage for example was 8.5million, Ravine Flyer II was approx 6million. So, I would rather a Gravity Group coaster go in, than a Son of Beast, standing, but not operating. Please don't send me messages of hate(lol) because I would rather have SOB up and running more than anything.

I would contact Charlie Dinn (my former boss) and his family and ask them to be the lead designer on a roller coaster to rival his Beast of a coaster and have the new roller coaster hug the valley that the park sits in back there.

• Like 1

Well since we all "know" SoB's imminent fate, we must move on from this thread.

I have one question, though.

A post earlier in this forum talked about wooden hyper coasters and looping woodies. Do you think that with the failure of SoB, we won't see another looping woodie or wooden hyper coaster again?

I think that if the project was put into the right hands (ex. Gravity Group), we might see one of these two again.

I think that if Gravity Group built something like SoB they would do a great job with it. They would make sure that a coaster of that size would be safe to ride and would not cause problems. I'm not exactly sure about the loop, though. Supposedly SoB's loop caused so much wear and tear to the rest of the track, hence why it was removed. It would be really cool to see, but it won't happen.

Well since we all "know" SoB's imminent fate, we must move on from this thread.

I have one question, though.

A post earlier in this forum talked about wooden hyper coasters and looping woodies. Do you think that with the failure of SoB, we won't see another looping woodie or wooden hyper coaster again?

I think that if the project was put into the right hands (ex. Gravity Group), we might see one of these two again.

I think that if Gravity Group built something like SoB they would do a great job with it. They would make sure that a coaster of that size would be safe to ride and would not cause problems. I'm not exactly sure about the loop, though. Supposedly SoB's loop caused so much wear and tear to the rest of the track, hence why it was removed. It would be really cool to see, but it won't happen.

It wasn't the loop as much as it was the trains that we required for the loop. That's why we have the "custom fitted" G-Trains. Spoiler alert: They didn't work, apparently.

Contrarian that I can be:

a. The loop in and of itself in no way contributed to the physical problems exhibited by Son of Beast. The loop did require that the ride have trains which could be provided with the loop extant. The structure could arguably have been designed to support Norfolk Southern coal hoppers, should that have been necessary.

b. Paramount Parks sued the designer, initial builder and certain suppliers almost immediately after the ride was constructed, claiming the ride was defective and poorly constructed in certain ways. The company secured a judgment, but was unable to collect, by all accounts. It then attempted to collect the money from its own insurer and failed at the Court of Appeals level. (that is mis-stated in this otherwise excellent article:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20091114/NEWS01/911150350/Coaster-s-future-doubt )

See also:

http://www.kdlaw-blog.net/2011/03/30/roller-coaster-ride-lawsuit-settled-for-king’s-island-amusement-park-in-ohio/

And:

http://statecasefiles.justia.com/documents/ohio/twelfth-district-court-of-appeals/2008-ohio-1351.pdf

c. We don't "all" know what is to happen next. Some doubtless do, others most certainly do not.

d. The park is in highly competent hands whose decision is grounded in safety, caring, the long term best interests of its customers, employees and unit holders and other important business factors. It will not be based on knee jerk emotional responses of one who wants to build coaster empires, break records or compete with another company by building an astounding spectacle in a millennial year. Nor will it be based on a Band-Aid brand adhesive bandage based approach.

But, Dick Kinzel was not involved in the purchasing, design, construction, operation or litigation of Son of Beast prior to July 6, 2006.

Sometimes, one must read The Interpreter's posts with great care. There's sometimes nuggets in them not readily apparent to the typical reader.

This may be one of those times.