What`s next for Son of Beast?

fighting31irish

I don't understand the whole "assets" thing - if we're referring to what I understand, how does a stand up hurt these assets?

You need to be bigger to understand. ;)

Haha, I bet I do.

But now I understand. I didn't know there was a saddle, I thought you just stood up with a OTSR

It's not really the saddle part where your butt is, but the BIGA$$ hook that angles upward in the front.

Think of an oversize bicycle seat, with the front part pointing up.

It's one of those- yup did it once & I'll be certain to NEVER do it again.

Doubtful.

The only stand-up roller coasters I've been on are Kings Dominion's Shockwave, Cedar Point's Mantis, and Great America's Iron Wolf.

Of the three, Iron Wolf is most deserving of its new name.

I've been on Vortex at Carowinds and Mantis. I don't remember Mantis much, it was a few years ago. Vortex is a pretty small standup, featuring 2 inversions. (A loop and a corkscrew) I actually found Vortex a bit tame. It's a nice ride, just tame (and kind of old too I believe).

According to the Save Son of Beast Facebook page, people have been seeing crews walking the track on Son of Beast. Any validity to that?

Yes, multiple reports of maintenance men on SOB over the last couple of days. Also reports that SOB has a fast pass lane now. Just news I am passing along. Cannot confirm this since I am not there. But wonder why that would be? Haunt?

And the same one that's made (as I recall it) multiple accounts here that only added to the spam.

Luckily, we've since gotten rid of members claiming to have the ins with "the suits" and the people who claim that presidents, managers, and CEOs have personally and candidly shared multi-million dollar hints with them... Right?

The only way you would see a standup is if it was relocated from another park, they're out of demand. And coming from a guy, they're very unpleasant.

That's only if it were to be Togo, B&M still has the Stand-Up line going but they just aren't being built lately.

It's really all in your legs, if you actually stand, you will be fine. If you rest on the bar, of course you'll have problems.

The only way you would see a standup is if it was relocated from another park, they're out of demand. And coming from a guy, they're very unpleasant.

That's only if it were to be Togo, B&M still has the Stand-Up line going but they just aren't being built lately.

B&M does not still have a stand-up line going. The last new opened in 1999. The ones that opened in 2011 and 2012 were relocations of old stand-up coasters. B&M would likely build a new one for the right price, but no one seems to want them. As was mentioned, they were a "fad" from a certain era and are no longer sought after...

I won't believe it until I see a picture, and even then I'll find a reason to believe its photoshop. That's the same Facebook group that said it had a tarp over its drop last winter.

i am a member of the group and most things that are said on thier are truthful. When news about a tarp was posted i don't think that was, but i wasnt thier so i cant say it was fake or true. i think the tarp was problay a plastic bag that ws stuck on the track and got thier from the wind blowing it up thier. when i find/hear news about SOB all my news has be truthful.

Note: I am not in charge of Save Son of Beast or an admin in any way.

i am a member of the group and most things that are said on thier are truthful.

There are ONLY THREE things we can say about Son of Beast for sure:

1) The general manager of Kings Island is displeased with the ride experience.

2) The public relations manager speaking on behalf of the park's management says that no decision has been made about the future of the ride.

3) Firms had been contacted to consider what to do with the ride, and at least one was returned as "unsatisfactory" as of a year or more ago.

Those are the ONLY THREE THINGS we can say for certain about Son of Beast at this moment, PERIOD. ANYTHING ELSE is pure speculation, hearsay, misunderstandings, and / or imagination. From my very, very limited exposure to that group, it is about as informed as the rest of the park's Facebook fans - they provide rumors and misinformation back and forth, serving only to further confuse each other. Many of that group's members have been banned from commenting on the park's official Facebook page, and the few that have found their way here are pretty quickly shot down and / or banned for trying to spread the same garbage "facts" and trying to insist on what their friend-of-a-friend who works at the park overheard from a coworker who heard it personally from Mr. Island himself.

That is to say: anything said on that Facebook group page that extends beyond the three points listed above is NOT true, NOT verifiable, and NOT official. End of story for now.

when i find/hear news about SOB all my news has be truthful.

I don't even understand this. What news have you heard about Son of Beast from that group that has turned out to be truthful? The ride is still standing but not operating and has been since 2009. No visible work has been done on it for better or worse, the trains have remained on the ground under the station, and the park continues to remind us that no decision has been made. What have you "heard" that has ended up "being truthful" when absolutely nothing has been done to the ride in three years?

• Like 2

yes i understand and agree with you about those being the only truthful things. i don't/plan on spreading the word. to be honest i try and avoid the subject becuase it is very touchy. when need i will simply state that i wish SOB was open and go on my merry way. i try to avoid anger disscusions.

that's why i havent commented or posted any news about SOB i say idea's on the group and that's it.

I was enjoying this thread for awhile... then we went back to the same old SOB talk :)

A note on Mantis, I find riding on the left side near the back to be a great ride. I hated Mantis until my friend had me ride there and now I look forward to riding it every visit.

B&M does not still have a stand-up line going. The last new opened in 1999. The ones that opened in 2011 and 2012 were relocations of old stand-up coasters. B&M would likely build a new one for the right price, but no one seems to want them. As was mentioned, they were a "fad" from a certain era and are no longer sought after...

They technically do, it's still listed on their website.

I've been on King Cobra & Mantis. I've got a big butt. Yes, the coasters were a bit painful, but I enjoyed the ride experience.

Now, you don't know if the coaster train designers can't come up with a new standing restraint - or maybe they have already. This would provide another different ride experience and give the coaster designers a new avenue to pursue.

Hank, just givin' food for thought.