What`s next for Son of Beast?

fighting31irish

• 2 weeks later...

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110423/NEWS01/104240311/What-s-next-Son-Beast-?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

So it looks as if Son of Beast will NOT operate again this year. We are still no closer to finding out the ultimate fate of the ride. Although, the article does give some interesting insights. Well worth a read.

Wow, I kind of forget sometimes what a MASSIVE structure Son of Beast is. It really is a shame that it doesn't operate. I remember waiting in line for it in 2000 and thinking "do I really want to get on this thing?".

I agree. Spiegel seemed to be purely speculating on what he thinks the park should do and was trying to dance around the subject.

It is a waiting game. Unfortunately, I feel the longer Son of Beast remains inoperable, the slimmer the chances are of any portion of the ride running again. I think it goes without saying that if the ride ever reopens, it will be a dramatically different ride than it was the last time it operated for the public.

Its future is pivotal to the park's future, whether you like it...or not.

Really? I know that any SoB solution is expensive, but pivotal to the park's future? That's a sobering thought. Didn't realize so much was riding (coasting?) on it.

It really does sadden me to see SOB just standing there dormant, almost creepy in some ways. I miss the old ride with the loop and I even miss the new ride with that awful new section of track. I am really looking forward to the future of Son of Beast.

If you care about Kings Island, even a little, you must care about what happens to Son of Beast. Its future is pivotal to the park's future, whether you like it...or not.

Terp, bordering on saying too much (and saying far, far more than most of those 'experts' in that article!)

Oh, I care about Kings Island A LOT, all I am saying is I am not THAT concerned to whatever happens. Some people will do anything to ride it. :) Just my opinion.

I want the ride reopened badly, but I just can't imagine it ever happening, because the only people that want the ride open more than the enthusiasts are the trial lawyers. And they can cost your park significantly more than $10 million worth of demolition in defense, settlements, and increased insurance premiums. I hope I'm wrong.

It is intresting the "experts" that were contacted were all part of enthusiast groups.

Except it isn't the case. Dennis Speigel is president of International Theme Park Services, a consulting group. He was a ticket taker at Coney before there was a Kings Island, and was Assistant GM of Kings Island, GM of KD, VP for International Operations for Taft ....

http://www.interthem...yees/dennis.htm

Are they even allowed to legally open it? I thought I heard that somewhere.

The ride was shut down voluntarily by the park, after being cleared by the state to run again. As stated in the article above, they cannot legally operate it this year without a permit through the city of Mason. So unless they make a quick decision to open it and obtain a permit, no SoB this year :(