What`s next for Son of Beast?

fighting31irish

Rumor has it that during the Coastermania Q&A at CP with Dick Kinzel, the topic of SOB was brought up. Reportedly, DK said they were considering the TG treatment but were waiting to see how it held up, price of steel, etc.

Can I ask where you read that at? It seems to "predictable" to be true. I mean, that's been my guess for the last year and a half. I just want to make sure the source is somewhat reputable.

Elmer- Texas Giant. If your still not sure, do a bit of searching. Shouldn't be too hard to find. And from what I've read, a 3 hour wait for Texas Giant isn't too uncommon now.

It may not be written down anywhere as of yet, but as Avatar states he was there, along with IBEWSparky and myself. I am sure at least a few other members of this site were there as well. Several CM people were video recording the session so you might be able to find the whole thing on the web soon to hear the full answer to the SOB question. Several options were brought up in his answer and the way he left it, all were just as likely as the next. This leads me to believe a full decision has still not been made. hence the no feedback from the park. I will say though, in my opinioin it did seem like he was leaning towards a fix more that a tear down. That is the way I interpreted it, but some others may think differently.

I agree Hendrick. That's why I used the words "rumor" and "reportedly". :)

Personally, I read a trip report over on Pointbuzz: http://pointbuzz.com...read/26681.aspx

Sorry for the double post, but I disagree with this quote in their TR.

I also read from one of Dick's comments that we are going to see another coaster possibly in 2013, and the announcement would be coming next year about this time. Did anyone else pick that up?

I never heard anything about a coaster come out of his mouth, just that an announcement would be made this time next year. I am not saying it is not a coaster, but don't think he hinted it was a coaster.

Thanks for posting that. Certainly makes it seem like either it's going to become a steal coaster, or it's gone.

And apparently, The Beast cannot exist by the very laws of physics! ;) Haha.

I think it would just be cost prohibitive to give the coaster the Texas Giant treatment. It wouldn't be all that exciting anyway, unless it got a new lay out, which takes us basically to just building a new coaster. Without the loop, there's not much excitement to that ride anyway, IMO. I hate to see all that wood destroyed, but at this point, that seems inevitable, unfortunately.

• Like 1

Also, it seems as though some truth has come forward in regards to CGA. It is pretty interesting to know that Prowler was originally intended for CGA, that is, if Kinzel is being honest. ;)

I agree on the premiss about no wooden coaster over 80 feet tall seems a bit odd but maybe with all the new technology and the wood cost versus steel Mr Kinzel maybe right on with what he knows from his current position.

Wooden coasters can't be safe over 80 feet?

Racer

Beast

Mean Streak

Voyage

Legend

Raven

El Toro

Boss

American Eagle

Ev- American Thunder

etc...

Another thing, When CF is seeing for 2-3 years if the Texas Giant treatment is worthwhile for the son, are they just going to let SOB sit and rot for another 3 years? Doesn't wood need periodic coatings of anti-rot-icides to make it safe from bugs and weather?

Wooden coasters can't be safe over 80 feet?

Racer

Beast

Mean Streak

Voyage

Legend

Raven

El Toro

Boss

American Eagle

Ev- American Thunder

etc...

Another thing, When CF is seeing for 2-3 years if the Texas Giant treatment is worthwhile for the son, are they just going to let SOB sit and rot for another 3 years? Doesn't wood need periodic coatings of anti-rot-icides to make it safe from bugs and weather?

I did not hear him or anyone else say it was unsafe for wooden coasters to be over 80 feet. Not sure where you got that. Maybe, maybe not on your second question but from being there and my interpretation of his body language and the way he said it, I would not bet on the Texas giant route. But others there interpreted it differently so who knows.

I think he was saying wood coasters over 80 feet cost more to maintain than they want to pay.

If that's the case, he might want to think about removing Mean Streak and Gemini from his home park to make way for two more Timmys, preferably before he leaves the company next year. ;)

Modern wood is pressure treated. And remember, Mr. K is an operations guy, not a finance guy. I feel ever so much better knowing that. Then we have steel coaster expert extraordinaire, Mr. Gramke.

Is that the same Mr. Gramke who will gladly tell anyone who will listen that he designed The Beast?

--Beatle, having memories of Al Gore claiming that he created the Internet.........

• Like 1

It's a money pit, pure and simple. Like I've said before, beautiful structure, bad coaster. After the first hill, it is mediocre-and the helix is just plain awful. The amount of money poured into it already has been a waste, and I can't see another 20 million going into it, only with the same result. Plus it's been sitting for two years and the weather is taking its toll. It's time to let it go.

• Like 1

Gemini is not a wood coaster.

I should also point out that Mr. Kinzel will be retiring in January, long before any real decision is made most likely. So while his thoughts explain what the story has been for the past 2 years, it does not indicate what might happen in the future.

"It can't operate the way it is with the wood configurations. It's just too high and too big. And if you've noticed, is you guys are experts on roller coasters, there's no good wooden coasters that go over 80 feet, or 100 feet if that. Just the wood, the chemistry, the physics of it do not allow a wooder coaster to go over, I'd say, 80 feet"

That's the quote

• Like 1

In the old QTV video from the 25th anniversary of The Beast, there was a great quote as to how all of John Allen's calculations didn't go over a 100 feet, and in order to achieve the height they wanted, they had to go underground.

Also, don't look so much at the number exactly, look at the concept. He's not saying any coaster 81 feet or higher is awful, he's just ball parking a number. Which, in all honesty, isn't that far off. Son of Beast 218', Texas Giant 153', Hercules 151', Rattler 179'... Should I continue?

I should also point out that Mr. Kinzel will be retiring in January, long before any real decision is made most likely. So while his thoughts explain what the story has been for the past 2 years, it does not indicate what might happen in the future.

I don't see a new leader pulling the trigger on a $20+ million project on a coaster that has had, at best, minimal success. There are too many other coaster projects that have been enormously successful for much less. A decision like this, right out of the gate, could end his/ her leadership very quickly.

If a quote has already been submitted, the decision has already been made. Unless something MAJOR changes (i.e. CF wins a $200 million Powerball jackpot or steel prices drop by half), SoB's current status will not change with new leadership.

• Like 1