What`s next for Son of Beast?

fighting31irish

Pine is very weak fOr the same reason it is very cheap (which is obviously why it was chosen) it grows quick and is seen as easily replaceable

True pine is sometimes very weak, depending on the grade. My company uses a high grade of pine inside of barges to hold up 6500-8500 lbs steel coils, this works very well its cheap yet strong to do the job.

Wow, thats pretty strong, but could it hold approximately 13,000 pounds( train+people)under all of the forces of Son of Beast.

It's all in how you design the supports--which, based on the 2006 incident, seems to have been done imperfectly in (at least) the rose bowl. You can very easily design your supports to spread the weight of the train, as well as the other forces at play, among several beams, thus exerting less force on each one. You just have to be careful how you do it; you have to make sure all forces are accounted for. (For example, according to the SoB accident report from the Ohio Department of Agriculture, the structure didn't account for an extra lateral load, which, in turn, caused that bent to fail.)

It's pretty much just a Statics/Dynamics problem. (I'm so glad that all these hours of engineering homework have only equated to me being able to post more on KIC... :lol: )

While I’ve heard about various plans to save Son of Beast so far this month, another anonymous source wrote in to say that none of it is going to happen. From what they’ve been led to believe, the board determined that it really wasn’t financially feasible to repair / rebuild / remodel Son of Beast and still get a decent ROI on the project, so one of Kinzel’s last orders of business may have been to sign the death warrant for Son of Beast. After all, they’ve already lost more than the coaster, but a slew of lawsuits from injured riders which were all settled. The SOB has cost them quite enough already...

Screamscape

Surprised this has not been talked about yet.

It's non-news.

Screamscape is fun. I generally read it every day.

But true to form, his "Son of Beast" section now includes rumors of a conversion to steel using the Iron Horse track, GCI coming in to fix everything, and the ride being demolished. Honestly, he does his job, which is to report rumors. If one person working at the Xtreme Sky-flier attraction reported that he had seen Mr. Scheid and associates walking past Son of Beast and overheard their discussion, it would be posted... As it should, really. Rumors are rumors, and they're fun to imagine and speculate on. I think all of us here have seen information transferred directly from this site to Screamscape, even, as he uses our ideas and suggestions as potential fixes for the ride.

But as for Son of Beast, "insiders" are NOT talking. I think we've all come to the conclusion two+ years later... Either no decision has been made, or a decision has been made. And either way, we do not know yet because we aren't meant to know yet. Even if this whole community knew, what good would it do? If news broke that the ride was being demolished, what could we do to save it? And if official news broke that the ride was being redesigned/profiled/tracked/etc., would us knowing speed up the timeline? Could we help influence decision making? Nope.

Something will happen to Son of Beast when something happens to Son of Beast, and not a moment before. Throw enough darts and one will hit the bulls-eye, but there's really no logical importance in us knowing or guessing. It's a worn out, tired topic.

And anything of that scale will look like it's made of toothpicks, don't forget!

No, I mean it looks like I could have made it. The boards are just placed in random places.

I for one, have always boggled by how awful the track bracing is too. I just don't get why The Beast ant Racer have very neat trackwork but the Son of Beast looks like it's track was completely done in 45 minutes including a coffee break.

It's a worn out, tired topic.

I have to agree that it has been drove into the ground, but does this also mean that there is some grounds for KI to try and save it? It seems that KI enthusiast have SOB on their minds a lot. Even GP friends of mine ask me about what is happening to the ride. I seem to get asked at least every few weeks by someone. Either way, I think this is some prof for KI that there is enough interest in the ride to at least entertain the idea of fixing.

• Like 1

It's a worn out, tired topic.

I have to agree that it has been drove into the ground, but does this also mean that there is some grounds for KI to try and save it? It seems that KI enthusiast have SOB on their minds a lot. Even GP friends of mine ask me about what is happening to the ride. I seem to get asked at least every few weeks by someone. Either way, I think this is some prof for KI that there is enough interest in the ride to at least entertain the idea of fixing.

Well with a big structure like that in the skyline, people will talk and wonder.

Still my opinion, get rid of it and try something else (B&M is coming out with some really fun stuff)

From what ive heard they that during the off-season they were going to re-construct parts of the ride and about that steel coaster, ive heard that Kings Island is getting a new coaster in 2014 and that there will be no big additions to Kings Island for the 40th aniversary

From what ive heard they that during the off-season they were going to re-construct parts of the ride and about that steel coaster, ive heard that Kings Island is getting a new coaster in 2014 and that there will be no big additions to Kings Island for the 40th aniversary

Sources?

"Hearing" does not mean it will happen - and I really have a feeling you just made this up, so please, don't post anything that could get our hopes up.......

When was the last time Son of Beast tested? Just curious! I would think that they would have to do some kind of maintenance on it every once in a while. I always loved SOB with the loop and without. Just wish they would decide what they are going to do with it!!

When was the last time Son of Beast tested? Just curious! I would think that they would have to do some kind of maintenance on it every once in a while. I always loved SOB with the loop and without. Just wish they would decide what they are going to do with it!!

Nothing at all has been done to the ride since it closed other than the re-theme of the station to Wolf Pack. That's from Don Helbig himself, when I asked him your exact question.

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest, I only got a look at it recently. It was suggested that I never ride it, so I didn't. I didn't even know where the station was. I had a hard time enough with The Vortex, so I wasn't going to voluntarily risk injury.

I only saw the hills looming over the park, never the whole thing. Once I got right up on it, to be honest, I was impressed by the size, and that was all. It doesn't seem like they are interesting in running it again.

It would be a huge demolition project. It's taking up space, it's not being used, but the price of taking it down would be behemoth.

I personally think it's ugly, and can see where more rides can be put in it's footprint if it were removed.

Why does everyone want it resurrected?

I agree they can't keep it silent. I would think at some point it'll become a safety hazard (more than what it already is... :P) I have had a lot of people ask me about it (non- enthusiast).

^Are you talking about the ride warnings that played in the queue, and that area of Action Zone? If you are there is a video on You Tube that has it. It's called "Kings Island July 2009 Son of Beast Closed". I believe it is a video of the first day of complete no operation, but I'm not sure. The spiel I believe starts around the 16 second mark.

-MagmMForce247 :)

Get on AE and take a good look at the catwalk when you're climbing the hill. You can see where it is collapsing and it appears the track is starting to do the same. I think that says more than Cedar Fair's silence on the issue.

That's why I went to take a closer look at it. I saw it while on AE, and thought that can't be how it was made- The Beast is supposed to look like ramshackle mine, but SOB was shackley rammed to the ridiculous. Aesthetics are one thing, but what I saw was unusable.