What`s next for Son of Beast?

fighting31irish

Get on AE and take a good look at the catwalk when you're climbing the hill. You can see where it is collapsing and it appears the track is starting to do the same. I think that says more than Cedar Fair's silence on the issue.

Perhaps Cedar Fair is hoping to avoid the costs of demolition by allowing nature to do it for them. It may take a few decades, but hey it's cheaper right? Don't worry, I can assure you that I caught a glimpse of Dick Kinzel himself standing at the base of the lift hill with a jar of what appeared to be termites, and an axe. ;)

Ah, the operations guy at work. His last major "contribution" before retirement I suppose.

Really? A collapsing section? I don't see how anyone can make an accurate architectural assessment while riding the roller coaster nearby. Come on people.

So my post of my wondering if it was part of the design, and my wonderment of the aesthetic enough to walk around in the park getting a look at the rest of the ride sailed blithely right over your hooded head, am I right?

I'm used to seeing fun houses and haunted houses with faux decay designed onto it. The Beast has a bit of that.

I couldn't make an architectural assessment from one look alone. That's why I walked around it, trying to see as much as possible.

It's a big fella, I'll give it that. I didn't see any trompe l'oeil or any other design elements that would lend a look of false decline anywhere else but the section I saw.

Go ride AE and see what you see. I'm sure someone can draw up a plan of what it looks like, if Jan doesn't mix it up for a poster and leave it on a canoe.

Actually, I was moreso referring to those who claimed they rode AE and could see wood rotting. I realize you get close to the ride and I understood your post on how it looks, but taking a ride on AE and claiming to be able to see the structure crumbling sounds a little too far fetched for me.

Actually, I was moreso referring to those who claimed they rode AE and could see wood rotting. I realize you get close to the ride and I understood your post on how it looks, but taking a ride on AE and claiming to be able to see the structure crumbling sounds a little too far fetched for me.

"beauty is in eye of the beholder" In this case "rot" :lol:

Guest TombraiderTy

Get on AE and take a good look at the catwalk when you're climbing the hill. You can see where it is collapsing and it appears the track is starting to do the same. I think that says more than Cedar Fair's silence on the issue.

Son of Beast is not collapsing, and claiming that it is after riding a nearby roller coaster is just ludicrous. I mean, if you built a deck in your backyard and didn't use it for two years, would it have started to fall apart? Highly unlikely.

Gah, I wish they would just do the whole Texas Giant make over, put in some neato LED lighting like they did, rename it SOB2 and be done with it. Its what everyone wants, so just do it already lol. But it would be even neater if they redid it with steel tubular track (b/c I dont think Texas Giants its tubular, anyone know?) and put the loop back in ;3 Its such a incredible structure that isnt being used and It makes me sad ;( I feel bad for the workers who put so much into building it.

Are you referring to the automatic spiel that went something like this "Welcome back riders, we hope you enjoyed your ride. Push down and pull up on your lap bars, walk down the exit ramp and enjoy the rest of your day at Paramount`s Kings Island. Oncoming riders, please secure all loose articles and step into the row directly in front of you"? I think there was some more to it, but that is all that I remember.

Gah, I wish they would just do the whole Texas Giant make over, put in some neato LED lighting like they did, rename it SOB2 and be done with it. Its what everyone wants ...

Uh, no it isn't. Some people may, but definitely not everyone wants this.

I think what everyone's referring to are the Son of Beast's ledgers, which, at least on the large banked turn after the first drop, are connected at very unusual angles compared to most other wooden coasters. Do a bit of research (e.g. look up an SoB POV, which I would link to were I not on my iPod) and you'll see they've been like that since the ride opened. Nothing's going into visible disrepair from at least what you can see on Adventure Express.

TRFTW, who wonders what people here would make of Kennywood's Thunderbolt and its aging wood... which, as I found out yesterday, I love!

Its what everyone wants

Ummm.....

;)

But it would be even neater if they redid it with steel tubular track (b/c I dont think Texas Giants its tubular, anyone know?) and put the loop back in ;3 Its such a incredible structure that isnt being used and It makes me sad ;( I feel bad for the workers who put so much into building it.

Given your ideas: steel tubular track & loop; why not just build a brand new coaster with a new idea?

While many seem to like the TG treatment, let's face it, while the name stayed the same, it is a brand new coaster. Minus the layout (and that is up for discussion), it hardly resembles the former TG.

No matter what they do, it would be a "new coaster" either way, It will never go back to its original form. At least make use of all the money they already put into it, and re do it. So thats my idea. And the "Its what everyone wants" was meant for it to reopen somehow.

I can assure you there are many who in fact do NOT want it to ever reopen. The ONLY plaintiff to ever win a court judgment after trial over a Son of Beast injury said that, more than anything, they wanted to be sure this could never happen again. Then, before the punitive damage phase of the trial was over, the parties

settled. The terms of that settlement are not public. The ride has not operated since.

Jasper and I were waiting in line to ride Slingshot yesterday and overheard a patron having a conversation about SOB with a Kings Island employee. The employee stated that SOB was going to be torn down and in it's place, there was going to be an "enormous steel coaster" constructed for the 40th anniversary in 2012. I find that hard to believe with the given financial standing. Has anyone heard anything similar from a source a little more reliable than that guy???

my friend who works at KI said the same thing, he said his supervisor was talking about it

I for one having ridden The New Texas Giant would love to see this happen to SoB. Texas Giant is my new number one coaster. And out of the 211 I have ridden I'd say that's a pretty big accomplishment for the ride. I have ridden it over 35 times and I loved it more and more each time. But having said that. I still think the future for SoB is pretty bleak. I'm not saying they are going to give it the same treatment, I'm just saying I would love to see it.

It looks pretty great! Like I said, Id rather see SOB get that treatment then for it to be demolished. No, it would not be the same, but at least it would still be there. I wanna ride the new TG so bad, and I hear there is a Chicken area where you can go if you decide not to ride, and people cluck at you like a chicken. Lol. My dad lives in TX...maybe its time for me to go visit him!

Are you referring to the automatic spiel that went something like this "Welcome back riders, we hope you enjoyed your ride. Push down and pull up on your lap bars, walk down the exit ramp and enjoy the rest of your day at Paramount`s Kings Island. Oncoming riders, please secure all loose articles and step into the row directly in front of you"? I think there was some more to it, but that is all that I remember.

You missed my favorite part! It was all that and then it finished with "Welcome to the Son of Beast". I always thought that sounded cool the way they said it for some reason.

Yup. That's what I was thinking of. I also remember it ending with the "Welcome" which was kind of weird the first time you heard it.

When I was at the park last week, I tried to get some pictures of the station, but you really can't see if from anywhere on the midway due to trees, etc. I liked that the station was so high up and that the train would disappear down the drop once it left.

It was...and quite thrilling too. Never thought it was that rough IMO. They do need to make a decision though. As much as I'd like it to stay around, it seems Son of Beast has cost the company more than they would like already, so I see it torn down before rebuilt into something else.

I can vouch for this...just saw it yesterday, you can see it plainly from Adventure Express. Not real familiar with the layout on SOB, but, one of the middle lifthills is completely turned askew, track faces directly towards AE, the support boards are turned over as well, many look broken and missing. Looks like the whole area collapsed, and twisted the track sideways.

Didn't take my camera, but, would be very easy for someone to get a shot of it.

True as the North Star.

Wasn't the top of the second large hill (going into the painb.. I MEAN rosebowl) already highly banked in the direction of AE? I mean, I guess it's not impossible for that section of track to become unstable and slightly shift, but after only 2.5 years? It would be frightening if SoB was really THAT flawed. However, I have not been to the park lately, so I really have no say in what may or may not be going on.