What`s next for Son of Beast?

fighting31irish

What? The ride had already been cleared for operation by the State of Ohio. In fact, it reopened and operated during public days for many, many days after those "cracked beams and loose bolts" apparently caused the July 2006 incident. So, those were fixed long ago.

The reason for the most recent closure has been publicly stated as that the park's general manager is not happy with the ride experience.

In addition, you seem to assume those drawn to Son of Beast would come from other lines in the park, to the extent Fast Lane would be canceled out.

Three problems: First, after capex/major repair costs, a ride had better be drawing additional riders to the park, plus their families and friends.

Second, Fast Lane is highly profitable. Why would the park make major investments to reduce profits?

Third, the decision about what to do about Son of Beast is in large part a cost/benefits analysis where numerous alternatives need to be explored and a best buy chosen. The enthusiast preferred plan may not win the analysis. And every alternative has benefits, every alternative has costs. Here, ironically, the so-called without project condition includes a standing but not operating ride...a condition that has its very own costs and few if any benefits.

One thing is nearly certain. The decision making process under the new regime is more inclusive and more sophisticated than it was before.

By "cracked beams and loose bolts" I was sarcastically referring to an earlier post in this thread.

Agreed, any park will find a way to make more money.

Interesting. thanks terp, always grateful for explanations so that I can be more informed on topics as such. I just have what seems like the ONLY good memory from SoB, and want it to return.

• Like 1

so virtually you are saying, that having the ride SBNO which is in effect costing money and adding almost no positives to the park, is better than demoing it or reopening it.

interesting to hear it put that way

How does a SBNO ride cost the park so much money it justifies a decision before all avenues have been pursued to open it, or enough revenue has been generated to take it down?

Nope. More like: Measure twice. Cut once.

Something I'm sure Cedar Fair wishes Paramount Parks had done... and CBS is most probably still happy with the amount of measuring Mr. Kinzel & Co. did before bidding in 2006.

Which makes sense. if they demolish the ride before exploring all options, then well that would be a problem for the board. Same way as reopening the ride.

so virtually you are saying, that having the ride SBNO which is in effect costing money and adding almost no positives to the park, is better than demoing it or reopening it.

interesting to hear it put that way

How does a SBNO ride cost the park so much money it justifies a decision before all avenues have been pursued to open it, or enough revenue has been generated to take it down?

Thats not exactly what I was saying. I meant my remark to sound more like this "its better for the park to leave a ride SBNO (which costs money to keep it from falling down, but not drawing fans to the park) is better than rushing into a decision to demolish or reopen the ride."

During my visits to the park last summer, I couldn't believe how many people were still being drawn to the park by Son of Beast.

During one of my visits last year, I was in line for Adventure Express and that was literally ALL that was being talked about in the line.

A lot of the people in line kept asking the ride op's about SOB and they told them that they were not sure about the future of the ride

and that it would not be operating today although I could tell they wanted to say something else, like

"I wish they would tell us" or "I overheard the park GM and Don talking about it in they're office earlier" :D

but they were all told to say the same thing. It still makes you wonder if Don or the park GM even know anything about the ride.....

During my visits to the park last summer, I couldn't believe how many people were still being drawn to the park by Son of Beast.

while a closed ride may draw some people to the park, an opened ride would have the potential to draw many many more....

http://www.negative-g.com/NoLimits/No%20Limits%20Defunct%20Coasters.htm

If you are thinking, "WHY IS THIS DECISION TAKING SO LONG?!?!?!?", take a look at the link above. This guy recreated a bunch of old coasters. Some fans have been waiting for a decade (LeSourdsville Lake Park), others two decades (Lincoln Park) to learn the fate of their favorite coaster.

Even though the site looks like it hasn't been updated since 2004, it's still cool to look at.

I was reading around and found this interview from the Coaster Crew last week with Don Helbig and of course

I happened to hear Don talk about Son of Beast and his answer was a little bit different than normal but stil about the same.....

Besides SOB it was a good interview and he talked once again about the Crypt and how it has had techinical difficulties all it's sad life,

and also he talked a lot about KD?

http://coastercrew.net/intheloop.php?page=play&file=444

Same here, I could hear at least 5 groups of people from states all over, some at least 10 hours from here, asking why the ride they came for was closed.

Same here, I could hear at least 5 groups of people from states all over, some at least 10 hours from here, asking why the ride they came for was closed.

Makes you wonder what research they did before coming to the park - if this was 1983, I could understand someone taking a Vacation only to find their Favorite Family Fun Park closed, but in 2011/12 - little things like the internet make it so much easier to find out what's open/closed before travelling.

• Like 1

Makes you wonder what research they did before coming to the park - if this was 1983, I could understand someone taking a Vacation only to find their Favorite Family Fun Park closed, but in 2011/12 - little things like the internet make it so much easier to find out what's open/closed before travelling.

I-see-what-you-did-there-500x491.jpg

Though I agree that people should raise a mental red flag when they see no mention of the ride on the website when they do their research, I think there would be somewhat less confusion if the website noted in any way, shape, or form, that yes, the ride exists, and no, it will not be operating. But maybe that would raise peoples' hopes too much.

Kings Island is not Disney, people don't spend extenstive hours researching the park. You don't plan for a week long visit, finding the best deals and places wn a series of parks. Its a 1, maybe 2 day event if you're coming from that far away, perhaps in conjuction with visiting family/friends in the area or as part of trip elsewhere. Kings Island likes to pretend both on their website and the park map that Son of Beast doesn't exist. However when you get out of your car, its impossible not to notice, its one of, if not the most noticable attraction. You could spend half a day in the park and never realize that The Beast existed. As long as your eyes work, you know that structure is there. Its only natural that you're going to ask what is up with that ride, will it open today, ever.

• Like 1

So if someone was going to drop a riddle or two, you'd rather the discussion be stifled.

In effect, because you don't want to be bothered, you want the KIC mods to announce "no discussion will be had except if the park has it."

KIC doesn't operate that way. If it did, my consistent, hopefully constructive criticism of the father and son Kinzel would have been deleted long ago. KIC is an open discussion forum. It has been that way since first we met.

By the way, with all due respect, this was a quality post. And it came after yours.

Yes.

• Like 5

Though I agree that people should raise a mental red flag when they see no mention of the ride on the website when they do their research, I think there would be somewhat less confusion if the website noted in any way, shape, or form, that yes, the ride exists, and no, it will not be operating. But maybe that would raise peoples' hopes too much.

It's called Google, and it took less than 15 seconds. http://www.google.co...iw=1536&bih=718

Kings Island is not Disney, people don't spend extenstive hours researching the park.

So driving extensive hours does not constitute research on your destination? How do you know the park will even be open, or what kind of weather to prepare for?

You don't plan for a week long visit, finding the best deals and places wn a series of parks. Its a 1, maybe 2 day event if you're coming from that far away, perhaps in conjuction with visiting family/friends in the area or as part of trip elsewhere.

You may not, but I, and most people, certainly do. Gaining as much information, and finding the best deals, makes for a happy vacationing family, even if the vacation is for two days.

Kings Island likes to pretend both on their website and the park map that Son of Beast doesn't exist.

Does SBNO mean it exists? If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around, does it make noise? But I do have to ask, those you know that do not plan for a 1, maybe 2 day event could not have seen it on the website, so it's a non-issue. Right? :rolleyes:

However when you get out of your car, its impossible not to notice, its one of, if not the most noticable attraction.

Google is your friend. http://www.google.co...36&bih=718&bs=1 Aside from Google, if a road is not on a map, do you still want to drive on it?

Or are you going to ask the SoB status question at Customer Service since you saw it on your way in?

You could spend half a day in the park and never realize that The Beast existed.

Again, you could. As I, and most people, certainly know what Beast is.

As long as your eyes work, you know that structure is there. Its only natural that you're going to ask what is up with that ride, will it open today, ever.

You would be surprised how people's eyes only see what they want to see. Just ask some park employees how often they have to remind a guest not to break a park rule- a rule that has countless signs posted around the park.

People need to stop digging/ pushing to find something to be negative about. It's time to enjoy KI's 40th season!

• Like 1

So if someone was going to drop a riddle or two, you'd rather the discussion be stifled.

In effect, because you don't want to be bothered, you want the KIC mods to announce "no discussion will be had except if the park has it."

KIC doesn't operate that way. If it did, my consistent, hopefully constructive criticism of the father and son Kinzel would have been deleted long ago. KIC is an open discussion forum. It has been that way since first we met.

By the way, with all due respect, this was a quality post. And it came after yours.

Yes.

A quality post it is!

@Brain, no matter how off the wall an idea may be, this is still a great place to chat about SOB.