What`s next for Son of Beast?

fighting31irish

Guest TombraiderTy

So driving extensive hours does not constitute research on your destination? How do you know the park will even be open, or what kind of weather to prepare for?

Research is definitely beneficial, but I doubt a large fraction of guests bother to do it. They're going to Kings Island to have a good time and ride some rides. They're not overly-concerned with what those rides are, as long as they are tall/fast/scary/whatever and fulfill their thirst for fun. And they know that such rides will be at the park whether they research it or not.

Also, your posts suggested someone would Google something related to Son of Beast. But if there's a first-time visitor who relied on the park's website to plan his or her trip, they won't have a clue what Son of Beast is and, therefore, could not search it.

• Like 1

Well now. How profitable is the SOB? I don't know. When you are in Ohio, all that you want to do is take a trip to DisneyWorld, Universal Studios, or SeaWorld. The people who I know in Florida, who grew up around all of the previously named parks have a very common denominator. They all want to visit Cedar Point. When they read about a wooden coaster the size of SOB, their interest is blocked by a red flag. Most of my friends in Florida whom I have discussed this coaster with have the idea that this coaster idea is crazy. Why would anyone want to ride a wooden coaster that tall and that fast? Then again, One of the tallest and fastest wooden coasters in Florida between Orlando and Tampa looks a lot like a mini SOB in the beginning of the ride. It takes off in that same out of the station direction and circles back around to go up the lift hill, and goes over that same circular bounce before the drop. Of course, I am referring to Busch Garden's Kwazi. This ride alone is rather uncomfortable, and would not send a good message about the Son of Beast. Long story short, the ride is not attractive to a lot of people. And honestly, it's not attractive at all to me. Maybe I've been in FL. for too long. But I'm willing to bet that family attractions would attract more Floridians than not. But then, there are other places besides Florida. Please do not take my opinions to heart if you love this ride. Just take comfort in knowing that we are agreeing to disagree. Even if the ride opens again, it will still be closed to me.

41st season.

40th anniversary.

Tomato...tomato

Footer....footing

"I never made a mistake, but once I thought I did, but I was wrong." :)

Also, your posts suggested someone would Google something related to Son of Beast. But if there's a first-time visitor who relied on the park's website to plan his or her trip, they won't have a clue what Son of Beast is and, therefore, could not search it.

Exactly. That visitor that has no clue what SoB is thus cannot be upset about (or looked forward to) SoB SBNO as has been previously suggested.

The park is taking the lesser of two evils by ignoring the white elephant in the room. The same practice was followed by BGW about 12 years ago.

Anyone that came to KI only to only "enjoy" SoB is missing out on a great park.

OK, I'll take KI out of the equation and use a real life example that will likely happen to me and I imagine is pretty common for many long distant vistor's to KI.

My sister lives in atlanta, some day, when the kids are old enough to ride most of the big rides, I imagine we'll head down there over spring break or in the summer to visit my sister and take a day at Six Flags over Georgia. I'll have no need to worry about lodging in the area, or where to eat around the park, all I truely care about is how much it costs and when it is open. I'll probably spend some time on their web site to check some height requirements and get a feel for the park. Its an amusement park, I'm not going to overthink and plan each ride out minute by minute.

So, what if I get there, and I see this huge 200+ Foot tall wooden structure. I agree that people's eyes often see what they want to see, and they'll overlook a park rule, but its pretty darn hard to miss a structure that big. Naturally it looks like it could be fun, but I don't see it listed on the park map, it was never mentioned on the park's website, I have no idea what it is. I'm going to ask a ride operator, another vistor, what that ride is, and what its story is, is it open, do they plan to open it.

its that simple, as long as Son of Beast is standing and not operating, its going to generate many questions by infrequent visitor's to the park. Sure people could go to their phone and google "big wooden structure at King's Island not running?" and probably figure it out, but often its much easier to turn to the person next to you in line and ask, what's the story with that ride, how come there are no cars operating. You say that since they never knew about before coming to the park, they can't be dissapointed, but you're wrong. You see something that looks like fun, but told its not working or off limits, and some are bound to be dissapointed with that aspect. Doesn't mean they can't or won't enjoy the rest of the park, I think just about everyone will enjoy the park regardless, otherwise the park is in trouble.

KI has likely taken the best route to remove mention of the ride on their site and on the park map, however to not expect questions about the ride is ignorant.

• Like 2

^The truth right there.

Personally, I think people are VASTLY OVERESTIMATING how many people "care" about whether or not Son of Beast is open. If you're a local passholder or infrequent visitor, they've probably already made up their own story in their head as to why it's not open.

If someone comes from out of town, I think Medford is dead on, they may see it and have questions, but I doubt they let it ruin their day.

If you're some coaster enthusiast who came all the way here just for Son of Beast and for a specific purpose, then it's your fault for not doing your homework.

Let's talk real for a second folks, we're talking about Son of Beast. This ride sucked when it opened. Sucked when they took a car off and re-tracked it. Sucked when they removed the loop. The ride sucks. I seriously doubt anyone's day is ruined because they got ALL THE WAY TO Kings Island(!!!!) and that ride wasn't open.

^The truth right there.

Personally, I think people are VASTLY OVERESTIMATING how many people "care" about whether or not Son of Beast is open. If you're a local passholder or infrequent visitor, they've probably already made up their own story in their head as to why it's not open.

If someone comes from out of town, I think Medford is dead on, they may see it and have questions, but I doubt they let it ruin their day.

If you're some coaster enthusiast who came all the way here just for Son of Beast and for a specific purpose, then it's your fault for not doing your homework.

Let's talk real for a second folks, we're talking about Son of Beast. This ride sucked when it opened. Sucked when they took a car off and re-tracked it. Sucked when they removed the loop. The ride sucks. I seriously doubt anyone's day is ruined because they got ALL THE WAY TO Kings Island(!!!!) and that ride wasn't open.

Agree with the first part! But the ride was not that bad!! Parts of the ride( Rose bowl) are. The drop was sweet!

I think the ride it's self would be alot better with new cars like the Timberliners!! Just saying lol :)

I think the SOB should be turned into something that could be used. I don't know maybe toothpicks would be useful. I only rode it twice once with the loop and once without. Hated both. Seeing it go would be no great loss.

^The truth right there.

Agree with the first part! But the ride was not that bad!! Parts of the ride( Rose bowl) are. The drop was sweet!

I think the ride it's self would be alot better with new cars like the Timberliners!! Just saying lol :)

You know, I'll admit what I said was pretty harsh. I LOVED the ride when it opened, but I was 11 and under five feet. Even when they removed the loop and the ride was "ok," it just never seemed that great. Regardless, its reputation precedes it. We're not talking about a coaster that just randomly closed, this one closed for good reason.

I can understand numerous guests coming to Cedar Point and being sad pandas because TTD is closed, but I imagine the only ones who care about SOB are the few who complain to guest services all year and infrequently post vague knowledge on these sites.

As for the Timberliners, would that have helped? Maybe, but it seems that the rides those trains go on are designed much differently. I understand where you're coming from though and have to agree - trying almost ANY train option would've been better than modifying already used Gerstauler trains (seriously, Gerstauler!?). Then again, who would've wanted to manufacturer trains for that thing?

• Like 1

You say that since they never knew about before coming to the park, they can't be dissapointed, but you're wrong.

Disappointed? Absolutely. Upset (as I put it)? Why? The information is readily accessible.

I believe we are both on the same page. My comments are more directed to these opinions/ stories:

like "I wish they would tell us" or "I overheard the park GM and Don talking about it in they're office earlier" :D

but they were all told to say the same thing. It still makes you wonder if Don or the park GM even know anything about the ride.....

while a closed ride may draw some people to the park, an opened ride would have the potential to draw many many more....
During my visits to the park last summer, I couldn't believe how many people were still being drawn to the park by Son of Beast.

And the icing on the cake:

Same here, I could hear at least 5 groups of people from states all over, some at least 10 hours from here, asking why the ride they came for was closed.

^The truth right there.

I can understand numerous guests coming to Cedar Point and being sad pandas because TTD is closed, but I imagine the only ones who care about SOB are the few who complain to guest services all year and infrequently post vague knowledge on these sites.

That would be me. I'm devestated when that ride is down!

Let us do the worlds largest Burning man at Kings Island, camping and one heck of a bond fire at the end with flames going up and down hills . Okay a little excessive I love the ride hate seeing it sit there.

http://www.burningman.com/

But really I understand I'm a huge fan of the ride, and it will cost a fortune to knock down. But has anyone realized Kings Island lost 2 thrill rides, lately.

The park has land to expand maybe they will. But Kings Island is one of the top 3 or 4 in the Cedar Fair Chain of parks, and top 10 in the seasonal business over all.

Kings Island needs to move on and build some rides.

I was thinking maybe a antique car ride you don't steer you ride on 4 adults to bring back the feel, and you go through different buildings full of some anamatronic characters and wind through the woods and park like settings.

Plus Kings Island for such a big 40th year needs a monumental ride installed and some of its bad apples fixed or taken out.

Plus as Don already said the Tomb raider the ride was already removed.

The Crypt has been dismantled and left the building!

I think it would be cool to do a walk through of the building now that the ride is gone!

Come this October we will be able to do a walk through of the building now that the ride is gone. 'Course, there will guys in masks hiding in the corners waiting for opportune moments to leap out and scare unsuspecting passersby, but still...

The Crypt has been dismantled and left the building!

I think it would be cool to do a walk through of the building now that the ride is gone!

Come this October we will be able to do a walk through of the building now that the ride is gone. 'Course, there will guys in masks hiding in the corners waiting for opportune moments to leap out and scare unsuspecting passersby, but still...

I hope not! I much prefer makeup to masks. :)

I do know that alot of people that are not season passholders or frequently there, ask about the big pile of wood sitting in Action Zone BUT....

I don't really see many people let it ruin there day at the park and it doesn't ruin mine either. I do wish it was open but it does not ruin my

day to see it and not ride it even though I would like to sometimes.... (That's mostly because I have had to get used to it sitting there)

Though I agree that people should raise a mental red flag when they see no mention of the ride on the website when they do their research, I think there would be somewhat less confusion if the website noted in any way, shape, or form, that yes, the ride exists, and no, it will not be operating. But maybe that would raise peoples' hopes too much.

It's called Google, and it took less than 15 seconds. http://www.google.co...iw=1536&bih=718

While it's true that WE know how to find its status, what about someone who is not from the area, not an enthusiast, and has not been to the park recently, if ever? They may see some rides on the website that they want to ride, but when they get there, either A) Son of Beast will be unfamiliar to them, prompting them to (presumably) annoy staff by asking about it or they could do what one family that I talked to did and miss out on The Beast all day because they only saw one brown wooden coaster on the website, saw that the obnoxiously omnipresent brown wooden coaster is closed, and skipped out on it entirely. We would never make these mistakes, but think about it - we know Kings Island better than even most locals.

Granted, I will say that this family didn't seem... all there, nor did they seem able to read a map (We were in line for WindSeeker and they asked how to find Racer) but if you think about it, The Beast is literally at a dead end of the park that has little else in it. If you thought, for whatever reason, that it was closed, it would be unlikely that you find your way back to that area to see for yourself.

While it's true that WE know how to find its status, what about someone who is not from the area, not an enthusiast, and has not been to the park recently, if ever? They may see some rides on the website that they want to ride, but when they get there, either A) Son of Beast will be unfamiliar to them, prompting them to (presumably) annoy staff by asking about it or they could do what one family that I talked to did and miss out on The Beast all day because they only saw one brown wooden coaster on the website, saw that the obnoxiously omnipresent brown wooden coaster is closed, and skipped out on it entirely. We would never make these mistakes, but think about it - we know Kings Island better than even most locals.

Granted, I will say that this family didn't seem... all there, nor did they seem able to read a map (We were in line for WindSeeker and they asked how to find Racer) but if you think about it, The Beast is literally at a dead end of the park that has little else in it. If you thought, for whatever reason, that it was closed, it would be unlikely that you find your way back to that area to see for yourself.

Suggesting to have SoB on the KI website while SBNO with zero hope of actually operating this season is similar to waving your hand in front of someone's face while screaming "I'M NOT TOUCHING YOU!"

Also, if a guest confuses Beast with SoB, then shame on them. I question how they actually found their way to the park since they obviously cannot read a map.

Let us do the worlds largest Burning man at Kings Island, camping and one heck of a bond fire at the end with flames going up and down hills . Okay a little excessive I love the ride hate seeing it sit there.

http://www.burningman.com/

But really I understand I'm a huge fan of the ride, and it will cost a fortune to knock down. But has anyone realized Kings Island lost 2 thrill rides, lately.

The park has land to expand maybe they will. But Kings Island is one of the top 3 or 4 in the Cedar Fair Chain of parks, and top 10 in the seasonal business over all.

I was thinking maybe a antique car ride you don't steer you ride on 4 adults to bring back the feel, and you go through different buildings full of some anamatronic characters and wind through the woods and park like settings.

Plus Kings Island for such a big 40th year needs a monumental ride installed and some of its bad apples fixed or taken out.

Plus as Don already said the Tomb raider the ride was already removed.

Let's do that.

But I'm going to leave before the bonfire so I don't have to breathe in the toxins released by burning treated wood.

Have fun, though.

Happy Thursday,

Collin.

• Like 1

I think the SOB should be turned into something that could be used. I don't know maybe toothpicks would be useful. I only rode it twice once with the loop and once without. Hated both. Seeing it go would be no great loss.

If they tear it down, they could turn all that wood into thousands, upon millions, of toothpick box's and sell them off at the park. "Have your very own piece of what used to be the tallest, fastest wooden roller coaster in the world!! Only 9.99 per box" :lol:

Very true, my friend. SoB is a HUGE elephant in the room of Kings Island. I believe that they possibly could use the three-strike method on this ride. I know that the two accidents were not good for the park/ride, and drove many away from the coaster. But maybe, just maybe, they can make some minor improvements on the ride and give it a one-year trial run. If it works, use it. If something bad happens, immediately tear it down and use it for toothpicks. Plain and simple.

They'll never know until they try...or at least that's what we think.

The site could be easily used again as that giga coaster we've always wanted... ;)

Either way, I'm sure KI officials feel the same way as we do by saying that the ride looks silly just sitting there. I wouldn't even suprised if Son of Beast is at the bottom of their to-do list.

One last tidbit: Why was the loop removed after the first accident if the accident occurred on the Rose Bowl? Also, was the loop truly wood only? I've been looking at pictures of the loop, and it doesn't even seem to look wooden at all.

The loop was not wood. The loop was originally removed with the idea that the trains were too heavy because of the kind of trains they had to use for the loop. Removing the loop allowed for different trains to be used in the hope that the lighter weight trains would help relieve some of the stress on the ride.

Random question, but how does Timberliners compare to other typical wooden coaster trains, in terms of weight? (I know GravityGroup would be stupid to make trains for SOB, just curious if these trains are on the heavy side too.)