What`s next for Son of Beast?

fighting31irish

But maybe, just maybe, they can make some minor improvements on the ride and give it a one-year trial run. If it works, use it. If something bad happens, immediately tear it down and use it for toothpicks. Plain and simple.

No one is going to say "we'll let it go until something bad happens." That's just plain stupid.

They'll never know until they try...or at least that's what we think.

Newsflash: They did try, more than three times, over many years. The GM is unhappy with its performance. It has a bad reputation. It has been sitting there not operating for what will soon be three years. The corporate entity is now run by a guy who doesn't care much for massive coasters, let alone sketchy ones. Writing is on the wall folks...

I believe that they possibly could use the three-strike method on this ride.

SoB had used so many strikes, the game has gone into extra innings.

Like the Cleveland Indians :P

Couldn't resist

This comment is out of hand and uncalled for.

The Indians are hardly ever competitive enough to bring the game into extra innings. :P

• Like 2

The point is, it would cost a lot more money to tear down SOB than to leave it sitting in its current state. When you have nothing to put in its place it is kinda pointless to waste the money.

The Reds are looking good for this season.

Or, perhaps more on point, like having a 12 year old Mustang that's had a lot of issues in the past, been involved in several injury accidents--some of which caused lawsuits-one of which you lost, and though the state says it's okay to drive the car--at least it did a couple of years back--the spouse is unhappy with the ride experience. Before it can be driven again, at least some assurances are necessary that it is roadworthy and comfortable. Where the analogy fails is the Mustang can be sold or junked quite easily.

Reasonable substitutes are also easily acquired on the open market should you decide to replace the Ford. Dealers even take trade-ins.

• Like 1

*Pictures that type of conversation involving SOB going the following way:*

Gravity Group HQ:"Good morning, Gravity Group, this is John Smith how may I help you?"

Cedar Fair HQ:"Good morning, this is Matt Ouimet, CEO of Cedar Fair LLC. I was calling to see if there would be any interest in, and what the trade-in value would be for Son of Beast with your company?"

Gravity Group HQ:"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!" *click*

Cedar Fair HQ:Hello? Hello? Hmmm, must have gotten disconnected."

• Like 3

Or, perhaps more on point, like having a 12 year old Mustang that's had a lot of issues in the past, been involved in several injury accidents--some of which caused lawsuits-one of which you lost, and though the state says it's okay to drive the car--at least it did a couple of years back--the spouse is unhappy with the ride experience. Before it can be driven again, at least some assurances are necessary that it is roadworthy and comfortable. Where the analogy fails is the Mustang can be sold or junked quite easily.

Reasonable substitutes are also easily acquired on the open market should you decide to replace the Ford. Dealers even take trade-ins.

Oh, but it's so sentimental!!! We made love in that car!!! One more ride before we, sniff-sniff, say goodbye!!!

.....and the hits just keep on comin'!!!

The point is, it would cost a lot more money to tear down SOB than to leave it sitting in its current state. When you have nothing to put in its place it is kinda pointless to waste the money.

The Reds are looking good for this season.

Depending on what the salvage value is for all of that treated lumber (I have no idea what, if anything, its worth) as well as the steel and concrete footers, they may make money tearing down the structure. Of course, if that is true, then its doubtful the salvage value is dropping so they're not lossing money leaving it up either.

There is value for treated lumber; now how much value.... I don't know

It can be recycled at any pulp/ paper plant (you would not believe the insane strength of the chemicals used in paper making).

I doubt they will make money, or even break even taering it down. But the cost is much less than some have anticipated.

I heard that the Son of Beast won't be open any longer. I also heard they were thinking about putting it under construction to fix it and get it going again. Honestly, I think they should put a different coaster in. SOB just caused way too many problems and was broken down alot. Not worth the money to fix it on my opinion.

Ok, time to redeem myself:

Maybe one of the reasons SoB is SBNO is money, with the recent additions/rebrandings of Soak City, WindSeeker, and Diamondback. Kings Island probably doesn't have the cash right now to deal with it.

So I guess the only option for us fans is to say to ourselves that nothing will be decided for possibly a few years.

^ Stop trying to redeem yourself. This topic has 49 pages of the same thing. Most of it useless crap, and a good chunk has my name on it (I do like to get a good laugh-or at least attempt :) ). Don't keep trying to figure out what the next step is, because I don't believe the execs at KI/ CF even know. Read my signature. I put it there, with a link, for a reason. Often times, there is no hidden agenda. There is no spin. It is exactly what they say it is.

You are right though: it is about money, but has nothing to do with the cost of any addition or rebranding. It has to deal with reality. Up until the ride closed (the final time), smart people with smart ideas attempted to save the ride resulting in millions upon millions of dollars literally being thrown at SoB with zero results (just because it didn't work does not make them dumb- see Thomas Edison: "I have not failed, I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work").

Nobody has a greater desire to see SoB operate than CF and if there was one specific "fix" to make SoB a good ride, it would be done. But there are so many issues that need addessed, and combined with SoB's well deserved reputation, it is just not worth it to keep moving forward with fixes that may, or may not, work.

As enthusiasts, all of us are better served for KI to invest money into other rides/ areas of the park. They did try on countless occaisions to "fix" a $10,000,000+ ride by investing an (almost) $20,000,000. You can polish up a piece of crap, make it nice & shiney, and you still have a piece of crap.

The loop made the ride unique that beat the heck out of you. Once the loop was removed, it became just a ride that just beat the heck out of you. (I'm sure the diehards will disagree that it beats the crap out of you. They need to cut the personal feelings cord and understand that rides, even wood coasters, are not supposed to feel this way.)

Although stranger things have happened, I cannot imagine KI letting SoB sit SBNO this long with the intent of it operating again. The writing is on the wall and we ALL need to take Don's (almost) year old quote to heart.

• Like 2

I like this thread. :)

I'd say I've lost all hope of Timberliners being put on SOB at this point. Holiday World recently announced that the trains will not be on the Voyage this year either. That marks a 3 year delay from their announcement. If GG can't get the trains on a ride they built and designed, I don't have much hope that they will be on any KI coaster for a very long time.

• Like 2