What`s next for Son of Beast?

fighting31irish

All indications are that the ride has just been sitting for several years. No maintenance or testing of any kind has happened.

Well some maintenance has to be done. You cant have a massive structure like that sitting without any work being done. If that was the case, then the structure could collapse. Odds are they are doing maintence to keep the structure upright, but maintence on the tracks may be another thing all together...

Why would you think that? Closed wooden coasters have often stood for years without maintenance. See, for example, the wooden coaster that stood closed and forlorn for many a year in Brooklyn, or another in Middletown, Ohio. Then there is one in Aurora.

Well the one in Middletown was in a shuttered park. So with all due respect I am not going to address that one :D But did either roller coaster have the massive footprint this coaster does?

As a non engineer, I would think that a massive structure like that would need some maintence to ensure guest safety. Since its so big wouldnt it face more weather? But Im not sure who knows....

Guests aren't riding the ride, at the moment anyway.

Oh I meant guest safety from a collapse.... like if the the ride would suffer a collapse wouldnt it have the potential to cause damage to surrounding rides (flight deck/Adventure Express/thunder alley)

You cant have a massive structure like that sitting without any work being done. If that was the case, then the structure could collapse. Odds are they are doing maintence to keep the structure upright, but maintence on the tracks may be another thing all together...

Structures are not made to fall apart. Coasters are thouroughly checked daily due to the stress/ pressure the support structure endures from the movement & weight of each passing train. If there are no trains (aka SBNO) the ride should stay structurally sound minus some support beams that have loosened due to weathering. These few fallen beams will not make the structure collapse. Much older coasters, have survived much longer (Conneaut Lake Park's Blue Streak comes to mind http://www.rcdb.com/249.htm) and have not collapsed.

You cant have a massive structure like that sitting without any work being done. If that was the case, then the structure could collapse. Odds are they are doing maintence to keep the structure upright, but maintence on the tracks may be another thing all together...

Structures are not made to fall apart. Coasters are thouroughly checked daily due to the stress/ pressure the support structure endures from the movement & weight of each passing train. If there are no trains (aka SBNO) the ride should stay structurally sound minus some support beams that have loosened due to weathering. These few fallen beams will not make the structure collapse. Much older coasters, have survived much longer (Conneaut Lake Park's Blue Streak comes to mind http://www.rcdb.com/249.htm) and have not collapsed.

While I agree that it shouldn't collapse, didn't the hill partially collapse during construction?

That's because the rest of the rollercoaster wasn't up yet. Once it all went up, everything sort of "snapped" into place so it wouldn't collapse. Once the circuit is complete, the stronger the ride is. I don't really know how else to describe this.

I like the explanation from Browntggrr and a few other folks, about why SOB does not just fall down. I appreciate the questions about a rides structure and ability to stand over time without noticeable improvements or maintenance. But to bring to life the face palming, the reason behind it is simple it started with the fact that so many people are interested in answers about topics that don't necessarily have answers yet. And when you ask these questions time and time again without reading the thread first this can cause the face palm. But my favorite is when those who call themselves enthusiasts can be condescending and have you question why you even join the thread at all. Stay informed before you post and stay positive even when surrounded by pessimists. I too and very excited about the possibility of getting the scoop on what will become of the big pile of wood.

While I agree that it shouldn't collapse, didn't the hill partially collapse during construction?

Yes it did. From what I can recall, the collapse was due to a severe weather condition called a "downburst" which is often confused with a tornado.

Combine that with (as kjkjkj mentioned) the rest of the ride was not constructed yet, the incomplete structure did not stand a chance.

^ Yeah.

I seem to remember (if anyone knows for sure, please chime in) it was either the hill either before or after the loop which resulted in much speculation about why the 2000 downtime was so time consuming.

For those who do not know what I am referring to, there was a crane near the transition track before the loop for the entire 2000 season & I believe most of the 2001 season. They kept "fixing" a significant "bump" between the two areas.

How long will this topic go for, it will be 50 more pages when they do decide their answer. For some reason KI/and Cedar Fair has not just torn it down, that lends to hope, plus lots of money to do anything with it.

Does this go to say we will never see another Son of Beast, FAMILY OF BEAST, A Beastie , who knows, probably not in any of our life times.

It was Kings Island 2nd biggest failure next to The Bat, in terms of support, fan favorite etc.

I loved the ride when it opened, loved it with and with out the loop, loop better, it was one of a kind.

Thank goodness we have The Beast!!! The best wooden coaster stil in my book, longest, too!

Who knows what direction Kings Island will be, in the future, more or less coasters, but if in 1972 the park had not opened closing coney who knows what fan favorite site we would be calling home ...

For the whole indy, Columbous, Louisville, Lexington, Dayton, and Cincy markets is very fortunate to have Kings Island and Soak City,

I for one would love an answer soon on SOB but who knows!!

How long will this topic go for, it will be 50 more pages when they do decide their answer.

Don't fret. Once a decision is made, there will be another topic with 100 pages as to why CF gave up on SoB.

Does this go to say we will never see another Son of Beast, FAMILY OF BEAST

I believe it is safe to say the roughness of Beast family de-rails here.

It was Kings Island 2nd biggest failure next to The Bat, in terms of support, fan favorite etc.

C'mon give SoB it's just due. It is by far not only the biggest failure in KI's history, but argueably the biggest failure in amusement history (of course only compared to non-fatal rides, which SoB will one day be accused of).

C'mon give SoB it's just due. It is by far not only the biggest failure in KI's history, but argueably the biggest failure in amusement history (of course only compared to non-fatal rides, which SoB will one day be accused of).

I don't see how it could ever be claimed to have been fatal. I mean technically, I have ridden every coaster at KI (minus SoB) and one day I guess I will die, having previously ridden them so...

Then again, I've heard people claim that rides were fatal when they absolutely were not. For example, my girlfriend's dad swears not only that The Bat derailed once, but that he had ridden it earlier that day. And a good friend of my mom's once tried to claim that "The batman coaster" formerly at KI was closed because it cut a girl's legs off, and refused to believe when I said that it was the SUPERMAN ride, which was a Drop Tower at KENTUCKY KINGDOM.

Many years ago my friend's parents said that people died on The Bat (they were being absolutely serious) and I tried to argue and say that, that was completely untrue. I was like 12. So they discredited me, because I was too young to actually KNOW anything...even though they were completely wrong.

i was riding The Bat when all of a sudden the land rose and The Bat was thrown in the air and The Vortex rose from the ground where The Bat used to be. After all, The Vortex is not sinking but rather the land continues to rise until the new ride shoves The Vortex into the sky. Isn't that how all rides are made? :) :)

• Like 2

i was riding The Bat when all of a sudden the land rose and The Bat was thrown in the air and The Vortex rose from the ground where The Bat used to be. After all, The Vortex is not sinking but rather the land continues to rise until the new ride shoves The Vortex into the sky. Isn't that how all rides are made? :) :)

Since The Bat was a hanging ride, and The Vortex is a sit down ride, I guess we can expect "Son of King Cobra" to "pop" up any season now.