What`s next for Son of Beast?

fighting31irish

I was talking to Karen yesterday (I don't know her last name, some of you may know her, she belongs to several coaster clubs, friends with Darlene) and she said they're not looking to destroy it, they're still looking to save it b/c of the amount of money they invested in it, and there's a coaster somewhere (I think Texas Giant) that's been open for about a year, similar to SoB, but it has a steel track on a wooden frame, and they're considering doing that with SoB to make it smoother. Based on the pics I saw, it looks pretty cool, but would definitely take awhile to transform SoB into this. I went on SoB three times when it was operating, 2 of the 3 times I cried it beat me up so bad. I'd be willing to ride it again if they gave it a steel track, just to see what it's like :)

Is the coaster even able for the transformation, as long as it sits.

Just watched the Texas Giant on top 5 coasters on Travel channel last night it was great looking coaster.

Sure its not a wood coaster anymore nor a metal coaster its a new hybrid.

Would not have Cedar Fair KI not started working on the coaster yet?

Would the frame of the son hold up>

Time will tell

Wouldnt you have to have heaver trains to fit on the steel tracks? Wasnt that the original problem with SoB w/ loop? The trains were too heavy and the track could not hold it, right?

I really hope they will decide to save SoB, but the final choice is still up in the air.

The track is fine, it's the support structure that was the problem back in 2006. I also can't see how this ride will receive the Rocky Mountain treatment. An article I read awhile ago said they simply cannot add more wood to the structure, as that creates it's own set of problems. So while Rocky Mountain may retrack the ride, the structure is still fundamentally flawed.

I know I'm one of the few who enjoy this ride, but I don't see any practical way that it'll ever operate again.

^^ No, and the reason being everything would change.

What is known as the "TG Treatment" literally made an entire new coaster minus the name.

For this to be done on SoB, the cost would be so tremendous, it isn't worth it given SoB's dark history.

TG cost= $10 million for a 4920' coaster with a 153' hill. SoB was 7032' with a 218' hill & additional drops of 164' & 150'.

Rough numbers= Initial SoB cost was reported near $15 million. Renovations & modifications were reported around $10 million. It would be safe to say a "TG Treatment" would be $15 million+ making SoB one one the most expensive non-themed wood coasters on the planet.

All this, plus, would the company that did the "TG Treatment" be willing to be associated with SoB and it's history? One incident could take everyone associated with SoB down- and it could be some moron that decided to break a rule. It's just not worth it.

^According to the state auditor's report (paraphrased)...

A cracked vertical timber broke causing a deviation between two joined sections of track. This should've been fine, but due to the heaviness of the trains and the speed at which they traveled this slight deviation caused injury to riders.

The ride required heavy trains in order to perform the vertical loop element. The loop was removed, such was the need for heavier trains.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a TG style retrofit of SOB. The writing is on the wall folks and a member recently gave a report of his conversation that sounded pretty firm. What's done is done. The ride was never that good anyways.

• Like 1

All this, plus, would the company that did the "TG Treatment" be willing to be associated with SoB and it's history?

No one really wanted to be associated with it from the beginning so I agree with your point, no one would certainly want to now. Was it GCI who was working on the section that replaced the loop when an intern slipped out that news then he and his blog suddenly disappeared?

Texas Giant at least had a history and good reputation.

• Like 1

was in the vicinity of some management-types at the park looking in the general direction of SOB. They didn't look like park patrons or a dippin dots guy (unless they upgraded the dress code for "Smitty"- assumed Dippin Dots guy name- to wearing jackets and ties). I didn't try to be in an area where I could hear what they were saying, but while they were walking back through AZ, I overheard several distinct phrases:

"that will take almost a year"

"there's still several months before that announcement is made"

... "effect on the foundation of existing structures"

so, in closing- that can mean anything.

was in the vicinity of some management-types at the park looking in the general direction of SOB. They didn't look like park patrons or a dippin dots guy (unless they upgraded the dress code for "Smitty"- assumed Dippin Dots guy name- to wearing jackets and ties). I didn't try to be in an area where I could hear what they were saying, but while they were walking back through AZ, I overheard several distinct phrases:

This is the second report on these forums of suits discussing SOB in public. I'm encouraged by the fact that the tight lips we've see the past couple of season have, if these reports are to be believed, loosened and that visible (or at least audible) progress is being made toward a decision. Based on Dwight_Schrute's post, I would expect an announcement in August or September. I don't think anything else can be drawn from those snippets of conversation.

This is the second report on these forums of suits discussing SOB in public. I'm encouraged by the fact that the tight lips we've see the past couple of season have, if these reports are to be believed, loosened and that visible (or at least audible) progress is being made toward a decision. Based on Dwight_Schrute's post, I would expect an announcement in August or September. I don't think anything else can be drawn from those snippets of conversation.

to be fair. they were walking away from SOB when I heard that and though I was curious as ... was trying not to be obvious. they weren't being quiet or secretive, so anyone around them would have easily heard the conversation(s)- likely all of it.

^Thanks Captain Obvious. Your little schtick of trying to sound like you have some sort of inside info when you don't is really apparent and obvious. Give it a rest.

LMFAO!! Thank you, Completely agree with Gordon Bombay.. I understand that this is the rumor forum but the bull Sh** is starting to build up too high.

Hey Bud, I just stated a fact.

fact/fakt/

Noun:

• A thing that is indisputably the case.
  • Information used as evidence or as part of a report or news article.

Synonyms: reailty- deed - actuality - truth - case - circumstance

This seems more appropriate:

hear·say/ˈhi(ə)rˌsā/ Noun:

• Information received from other people that cannot be adequately substantiated; rumor.
  • The report of another person's words by a witness, usually disallowed as evidence in a court of law.

Synonyms: rumour - rumor - report - gossip - whisper - scuttlebutt

Although if fact, how can it be a rumor?

This is a rumor forum.

Just sayin'.

• Like 1