What`s next for Son of Beast?

fighting31irish

This is just me, but giving that CP will be getting a large coaster next year, it seems that SoB will just be sitting there for at least one more year.

Just my opinion....

The additon up north is consuming a large chunk of capital, but that does not necessarily mean that there won't be any room for some more improvements. Both Intimidators were installed in the same year, and both were the largest ride investments in their respective park's histories.

Then again, a large chunk of capital was spent this year as well: Leviathan, Celebration Plaza, a second order of WindSeekers and a new shipment from Dinos Unearthed, plus Soak City.

Who knows what plans are being discussed at CF headquarters. Only Mr. Oiumet, and those with the sole priveleges know. I fully trust the new CEO in his judgements though, and beleive that we have entered a new generation of word class amusement/theme parks.

Was SoB operating during Halloween Haunt 2007? I was trying to remember my last ride on SoB, and I believe it was in October of that year. Also, it was pretty far into the evening, not long before closing.

Thought I'd share a weird dream I had last night:

So, I went to Kings Island and was waiting in Son of Beast's station with my friend. I told him I was really scared of it. It was the first day it had been open since it closed. The trains weren't there though...instead, there was one toboggan type thing made of wood, a handcar also made of wood, and a sled with no seat belts. All separate and had one person on each. I was too scared to ride it because of this so I left the station but the ride op stopped me and said "C'mon, don't be a baby." But I left anyway. Next, I found Don Helbig walking down Coney Mall so I went up and asked him what was wrong with Son of Beast. He said, "It's open, that's it." And the dream was over.

Just sharing it because it felt so realistic and I woke up a little bit confused! ;)

• Like 2

Was SoB operating during Halloween Haunt 2007? I was trying to remember my last ride on SoB, and I believe it was in October of that year. Also, it was pretty far into the evening, not long before closing.

That was the first time I rode SoB. I was terrified of it at first!

I remember when you came into the break run, and finally stopped the whole track would shake from the shear force that the train came into the break run with

That happens of Flight Deck, too, and nobody is claiming it to be unsafe.

The Raven does that also.

That happens of Flight Deck, too, and nobody is claiming it to be unsafe.

Comparing FD to SoB??

Really??

I think it's not meant to be a comparison so much as making the point that the track shaking when the train hits the brake run is not an issue preventing SOB from re-opening.

^ Just by nature, all brake runs deform elastically (i.e., they move but regain their original shape afterwards) when a train is slowing or stopping on them. Just because it's visible does not necessarily indicate that it's a poor design. It's Newton's third law. In that sense, Flight Deck IS comparable to Son of Beast.

In that both Flight Deck and Son of Beast abide by the laws of physics, they're comparable.

The problem is claiming that both deform during the brake run, and thus both are safe or enjoyable for human riders...

All tigers are animals; not all animals are tigers.

• Like 1

^He's not saying that SOB is safe, he's simply saying that the brake run (non-)issue doesn't make it unsafe. That does not rule out the possibility that other issues may make it unsafe; it just rules out that specific behavior as a safety issue. At least that's how I read it.

• Like 1

So, I went to Kings Island and was waiting in Son of Beast's station with my friend. I told him I was really scared of it. It was the first day it had been open since it closed. The trains weren't there though...instead, there was one toboggan type thing made of wood, a handcar also made of wood, and a sled with no seat belts. All separate and had one person on each. I was too scared to ride it because of this so I left the station but the ride op stopped me and said "C'mon, don't be a baby." But I left anyway. Next, I found Don Helbig walking down Coney Mall so I went up and asked him what was wrong with Son of Beast. He said, "It's open, that's it." And the dream was over.

Just sharing it because it felt so realistic and I woke up a little bit confused! ;)

In 1984, I had a similar dream, about a very tall roller coaster, it was all hills and all there was in terms of seating were lawn chairs on a platform with tv trays to hold you in.

Imagine my surprise when I saw them building Diamondback.

Perhaps it would be fun to have a toboggany thingie.

• Like 1

I keep hearing a rumor every year that SOB will be torn down and a new Inverted roller coaster similar to Raptor only taller would be built in it's place. Even though this is a rumor, I like this rumor. You could have an Inverted roller coaster next to Top Gun(Flight Deck) and have it go around or close to Flight of Fear. That last sentence was a fantasy in my head, don't take it as something I heard.

I Had a Dream Kinda similar to that. It didnt involve the toboggan Sleds, but I remember walking down the walkway from Action Zone to coney mall and I remember hearing that Familiar Clanging sound the Anti Rollback made when the train got to the top of the hill and sure enough, SOB was running a empty Red Train! I ran with my brother over to the line, got in line and rode it just like it was yesterday... Got off and Don was standing there after We got off and I just said simply, "Thank you!" and he just as plain as day said, "Welcome Back.." Then I woke up! Wild!!

I keep hearing a rumor every year that SOB will be torn down and a new Inverted roller coaster similar to Raptor only taller would be built in it's place. Even though this is a rumor, I like this rumor. You could have an Inverted roller coaster next to Top Gun(Flight Deck) and have it go around or close to Flight of Fear. That last sentence was a fantasy in my head, don't take it as something I heard.

I don't see this happening (as much as I would like it), I'm pretty sure Cedar Point signed a contract with B&M when they built Raptor that they cannot build another Invert within 400 miles (as the crow flies) from Cedar Point.

I don't see this happening (as much as I would like it), I'm pretty sure Cedar Point signed a contract with B&M when they built Raptor that they cannot build another Invert within 400 miles (as the crow flies) from Cedar Point.

Source?

And what happens if Kings Island were to construct a beemer invert? ;)

Maverick00, are you on Pointbuzz? Just wondering since I just recently joined this site. That's awesome that I know someone else on here :) Anyway though, I think that would be cool seeing a dive machine at Kings Island.

Haha yes I am, good to know I'm not the only PointBuzzer :)

I think a wing coaster would fit great at CP and a dive machine would fit great at KI. I never went on Son of Beast but if it really does have some kind of valley or something, they could really do great things with the drop on a dive machine.

Not to derail the topic again, but my earlier claim was to exemplify that the deformation on the brake run was not one of the issues that makes Son of Beast unsafe. Whether it is unsafe or not (personally, I side with safe, but not enjoyable for everyone) is up in the air, but that is not a factor in it being unsafe, if it is.