What`s next for Son of Beast?

fighting31irish

Right. I have a feeling it will not be running come April 30th, which means the same thing as the end of last season when it wasn`t operating. Now if parts of the ride are missing (I`m not saying they are), come April 30th, that will also indicate something to. But I doubt we will see any change come opening day.

We may know a little bit about it sooner than April 30th. IE, when the new map is released. If Son of Beast appears on it, that is probably a good indicator that it will run at some point in the season, but FAR from a guarantee. If it is not on the map, as Terp has said, it means nothing has changed. In the event they release a map without it and clear it to run midway through the season, maps are only paper, and they could print off new ones in a matter of days, maybe even hours if maps are printed on-site (which is unlikely). But the release of the park map will likely be the first RELIABLE indicator of any changes of fate.

I think that one thing is certain: No one will ever ride the Son of Beast of 2000 again. No one will ever ride the Son of Beast of 2008 again. The chances of the ride ever operating as it did during those eras seems so incredibly slim that it's not even worth discussing. The people who are in power now have said that they are unhappy with the ride experience, and even if new power should be instated, I simply can't imagine any case in which they'd review the ride's history and decide to open it as-is anyway.

New trains? New track? New structure? New layout? New empty field?

Who knows!

To me, I'd sooner bet on the return of Nickelodeon Universe than on Son of Beast being on the 2011 park map, much less actually operating on April 30th...

Well, you kind of did just one up him, lol. Its not like those trains were anything remarkable to begin with. They were modified Gerstlauer trains. No real loss there. But it sure seems like a bad investment to purchase those trains when they only ran on the ride for a couple of seasons.

Yeah. I believe that the trains that ran on Son of Beast came from the now defunct Myrtle Beach Pavilion and ran on Hurricane. (Which was a rather wild ride, and it ran rough back in 2003, and it was only three years old). Granted, I believe that some of the Gerstlauer trains that ran on Villian did make their way to KI (I believe that was reported at some time) at about the same time Son of Beast was reopening.

EDIT: It looks like The Interpreter was editing his post when I was typing up my response. He has since rescinded any comment he made about the trains coming from Geauga Lake. Blue B&M at Cedar Point anyone?

If Son of Beast is planned to operate on April 30th I'm pretty sure we'd hear something before hand. I don't see them just opening the park and the ride and acting like the past 2 seasons never happened. They'd say something about it, or at least give hints about it, on Facebook.

Of course this is assuming that it is going to operate April 30th, which I don't believe it will.

So work on Son of Beast is in the category of "every little thing?"

And work of that magnitude would likely be disclosed to investors and potential investors under the public disclosure requirements of the SEC. Even if it were not, word would almost certainly leak out...as it could easily be seen from outside the boundaries of the park, and one or more workers would also likely sing.

Terpy, merely musing

Yep. Bottom line, they are there to make money for the owners of the park. In Cedar Fair`s case, it is the unit holders and the general partner. For parks like Coney, it is for the individual owners of the park, the same goes for places like Holiday World that are family owned. If it doesn`t make good business sense, parks simply won`t do it. Having worked in operations at Coney now for nine seasons, you definitely get a different perspective on how parks are run, and how things are done with regards to how decisions impact guest experience and what makes good business sense.

Sadly, this has been compounded by Cedar Fair being a publicly traded company. Cedar Point has always been my "home park", and while there certainly have been positives, there have been negatives as well. Then again, at KI all of you may have been at least somewhat used to being corporate-owned. Cedar Point lost a lot of "little touches" that made it feel more "homey" and "family-centered"...much like a Holiday World feel...I guess a lot of the charm?

• Like 1

i feel that it is sad after almost 2 years their is still no dission on opening it or to do something with it me think they are toying with us!

KI is not toying with us as less than a year ago, an article was printed stating SoB would be closed in 2010:

http://www.wlwt.com/news/22874809/detail.html

And if you want to read more into the quote, the ride would be closed until KI officials feel it is performing at a higher level.

Given that no work has been done on the ride, I feel safe assuming SoB will be SBNO for 2011.

Sadly, this has been compounded by Cedar Fair being a publicly traded company. Cedar Point has always been my "home park", and while there certainly have been positives, there have been negatives as well. Then again, at KI all of you may have been at least somewhat used to being corporate-owned. Cedar Point lost a lot of "little touches" that made it feel more "homey" and "family-centered"...much like a Holiday World feel...I guess a lot of the charm?

I suppose it depends on what you feel the lesser of two evils are.

While CP (or KI pre-Paramount) has lost some of the charm we remember, those corporate dollars have also introduced some big money & innoventive rides that some of us crave.

Oh I absolutely concur with what you said. Cedar Point would certainly not be what it is today, and the tension that is created by the "two evils", as you said, results in consistent growth in both atmosphere and land-mark rides on a regular basis. I am excited to see what fresh leadership at Cedar Fair will bring.

• 1 month later...