Platinum Pass Instant Renewal ?

TopThrill

...and then, when you go to Kings Dominion on the last day of the 2010 season, you will find your Platinum Pass, which worked just fine at Cedar Point the month before, no longer works at Kings Dominion.

Terpy...don't ask me how I know this...(and thanks Jim in Admissions, for being far nicer than anyone at Carowinds was on the second Sunday of the season...a call to Kings Island and three pieces of photo ID later, I was in the park and happy!)

I feel as though you, in particular, deserve "The Interpreter Passport," a season's pass made out of pure diamonds that affords you unlimited access to all Cedar Fair parks on any public operating day (and four pizzas for the price of three, of course). If anyone got locked out of a Cedar Fair park, I can't help but roll my eyes disbelievingly that it was you. Of all people to close out... Wow.

It wouldn't bring up my picture AT ALL, and it claimed I had not renewed.

So by all accounts, not renewing your 2010 Platinum Pass would thus make it inoperable at Kings Dominion... during 2010? Or did the renewal process make your pass work only in 2011 by the computer system?

Kings Dominion could not possibly have been more gracious...which is far more than I can say about that place in the Carolinas ran by the CEO and Chairman's son...

Perhaps you answered your own question there in that last bit... Perhaps.

So by all accounts, not renewing your 2010 Platinum Pass would thus make it inoperable at Kings Dominion... during 2010? Or did the renewal process make your pass work only in 2011 by the computer system?

Heaven only knows...probably both. This process is broken...to put it nicely. I would have had them switch the darn thing to a Kings Dominion Platinum Pass, but their processes were not set up for that...yet...and besides, there was a certain matter of a Howl-O-Fest somewhere else to attend to...(Yes, Terpy ended his seasonal season on a giant simulator with fans...and somewhat like Holiday World's pizza...Terp must be getting old...he actually THOROUGHLY enjoyed it...that thing has either changed a lot since just before the ill fated goose meeting, Terp has, or both!)

Heaven only knows...probably both. This process is broken...to put it nicely. I would have had them switch the darn thing to a Kings Dominion Platinum Pass, but their processes were not set up for that...yet...and besides, there was a certain matter of a Howl-O-Fest somewhere else to attend to...(Yes, Terpy ended his seasonal season on a giant simulator with fans...and somewhat like Holiday World's pizza...Terp must be getting old...he actually THOROUGHLY enjoyed it...that thing has either changed a lot since just before the ill fated goose meeting, Terp has, or both!)

Both I'd wager... The former, certainly. Haha!

GYK, who liked being up in the air much more than his traveling companions!

Yes, Terpy went to a BooFest...at Busch Gardens Williamsburg...where he found the hypercoaster much to his liking, unlike in the past when he compared it rather unfavorably to a giant simulator with fans. References to Nitro are somewhat self explanatory. And Europe In The Air? The new ride at said park.

Oddly, the highlight of the evening may still have been riding all three segments of the skyride in the dark!

And sadly seeing Big Bad Wolf's station building, forlorn...waiting for something to drop in.

And Monroe, you've confused uncle/nephew for father/son of late. Right Ed?

Terp, who interprets some things and just leaves big broad hints on others...like Drachen Fire...and a loop...or sumthin.

No Maple Grove for Terpy last weekend, shocking.

As for the renewal, why cant one renew his/her pass at any CF park. I like to buy mine at the park so I have a receipt from the park itself. My job at "The Amazement Park" prevented me from getting to KI in the fall, making me have to buy a new pass. If history remains the same (at CF a big IF) I will have to get it processed at KI and end up with a KI pass that cant be renewed in Sandusky. Thus next season will be in the same boat, if you can see der point.

It was, indeed, the first year in many when Maple Grove did not see a Terpy on closing day.

Terp made three parks for their closing day last weekend...not unusual for him...(he's been known to hit Carowinds and Kings Dominion on the same day....and Six Flags Over Georgia and Carowinds on the same (but a different) day, too.)

And Monroe, you've confused uncle/nephew for father/son of late. Right Ed?

That depends on if you are Irwin and Erwin....or is that Darryl and Darryl? no that's Bob. Any way, I'm glad you made it out and had a good time. As for me, the pass is going to have to wait and see what my daughters employment status will be next summer. She had a great time working this fall, and was very sad Sunday night when she realized it was over. Sadly I did not make it to any closings, a certain young man needed the Shriners touch but he needed wings to get there.

• 5 months later...

Just utilized the instant renewal system for my Platinum Pass, I made sure to print off my receipt to avoid any confusion if the card does not work. Can anyone else see this instant renewal business causing some serious problems, or do you all think it is a reliable choice. I still get to keep my same card which is a good thing, I have been through one hell of a season with that card last year and this one will be no different.

Can anyone else see this instant renewal business causing some serious problems, or do you all think it is a reliable choice.

Given the technology available today, you'd think it would be a simple, straightforward efficient way to do things.

But...

Given the technology available today, I think you were right to print off your receipt.

Automatic renewals was something we were working towards even when I was in Admissions (1995-2004). We saw it as the best and most convenient way to cut down the amount of time the guests have to spend in line every year waiting to have their pictures taken at the Season Pass Processing center. The development of the Gate Central system made that possible. It's great to see it finally come to be (especially now that I'm a season pass holder again, since I'm now reaping the benefits).

Sure, there are bound to be some glitches. That's why I always keep my receipt from my purchase in the fall and bring it with me on opening day the following year. I haven't had a problem yet since they've been doing the renewals, but I'd rather be safe than sorry!

Now I'm slightly worried about my Gold Pass (never had one before, I bought it in October when they had their $69.99 deal). I guess I still have a few weeks to dig up those receipts.

I have gotten my family's in Oct for at lest the past 4 years, and never have had a problem.

Although, I plan on upgrading my pass in a few weekends to platinum so I can go to CP, and possibly KD this summer, so I hope I am not jinxed by the same issues others have had at sister parks with theirs!

Will you have to get a new picture this year?

If you renew your pass, it should be ready to use as soon as the renewal is confirmed and you pay. In other words, you should be able to take the same physical card straight to the gate. If you're getting a new pass, you'll need to have it processed and get a new photo taken.

At least, that's my understanding.