Coney Island Employment Opportunities

Coney Islander

Nepotism is alive and well... And thankfully, the related employee is almost always the best man for the job - so much so that he probably could've gotten the job even if he weren't related to the employer... Right?

BIZ_Dick_Kinzel_05142010_3-500x282.jpg

It was a very tough decision, but I eventually decided to place my picks in the following order: Landscaping, then Rides.

Do you happen to know when the interviews will be conducted? / Will you be one of the interviewers?

Conflict of interest there? :P

No.

Get used to real life. It IS not only what you know but who you know, so get to know the right people. That is called networking. An employers job (see what I did there?) is to hire the best people it possibly can to deliver the products and services of the organization. If employees' friends and family are the best source of employees, many employers go for it. Nepotism is NOT illegal, but some companies/organizations have policies forbidding it, for reasons of their own.

Public sector employment has more restrictions, as taxpayers' monies (and borrowed monies) are being used, and fairness, and the perception of fairness (that latter can be different from the former) are deemed more important than even hiring the best person sometimes is. Not to mention societal goals that Government is seen as best being able to implement and to serve as an example for others. Yes, EEO, for instance, comes to mind. EEO does apply to both the public and private sectors, but in slightly different ways.

To sum up, networking is one of the very best ways of getting a job. So do it!

This is very true. I have my current job because of a coworker I have known since 1998. In the field I'm in, we all bump into each other at some time or another, and I was able to transfer down to Cincy for the same reason. I now have connections in Florida, although I think it's too hot there.

Get used to real life. It IS not only what you know but who you know, so get to know the right people. That is called networking.

That is so true. That really helped me get my current job, even though I didn't know it would when I walked into the interview. I had applied with this company several years ago but got the standard rejection letter at the time. When I was laid off from my last job, I applied with this company again and got an interview. During my interview with the department heads, one of the interviewers said, "I see you graduated from Princeton in '91. I graduated from there in '96, and my brother graduated from there in '91." I asked her who her brother was, she told me, and I said "Oh my god, I only ate lunch with the guy every day!" It turns out he had been a good friend of mine back then, and the overall tone of the interview became a lot lighter after that. After the interview I left, went down the street to grab some lunch, and not even 20 minutes after the interview ended, they called me and offered me the job.

So yes, connections are good. You never know who will be able to help down the road, or when it will happen!

Remember, it is not uncommon to see Vic Nolting, the President of Coney out and about with a pan and broom in hand.

That sentence reminds me of another favorite little park of mine, in Indiana. That's how I first met Pat Koch, near Raven, with a pan and broom in her hand. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We gave begin interviewing new hires for the 125th season at Coney. It's hard to believe that the long cold winter months are drawing to a close and the summer amusement park season is approaching quickly! Before we know it, it will be Memorial day weekend! I certainly can't wait, but also know that the time will fly and the season will end all too quickly!