Hardest Ride at KI to Operate

benred23

Capacity is king.

Heck, on several rides at Coney, there is no timer. Ferris Wheel, Rock O Planes, Bumper Boats and Round Up have no timers. It is up to the individual ride operator to time the ride. But on Round Up, the longer the cycle is, the higher the likelihood of protein spills. Same goes with the Ferris Wheel. Just mind your arm when you go to grab the stick to stop the ride after someone has motioned they are going to get sick on the Ferris Wheel, or you may become collateral damage. I speak from experience, and had to run to the restroom to clean my arm up!

I know it is no longer at KI but I would imagine that operating the old Sky Ride took a lot of muscle. I have noticed how the Sky Ride operators at CP have to push the cars out and they look like they are pretty heavy.

Not only is it the heavy cabins, when in full operation (38 cabins) CP's Skyride dispatches and thus arrives every 9.5 seconds! However when things go smoothly, the crew gets in to the groove and move in rhythm with the machine.

That's awesome! I wanna get drive trained at DB! Firehawk looks fun to drive too, but I think the funnest is FoF still, it's so fun to launch! If it's allowed, I could take a picture of our computer next April, and I do have a picture of the main control panel along with some other cool stuff, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it :/

Do it, I'm sure it will be fine... rolleyes.gif

• 3 weeks later...

My guess would be a tie between White Water Canyon as well as The Monster. I suppose there are not too many rides that have manual ops anymore at KI.

I did have a question that may fall under ride operations, however: How long does it take to fill the waterway in White water Canyon? I notice during the off season and when under repair it is drained (makes sense in general) and I just wondered how long it took to refill the waterway and loading area. I can't imagine what kind of Emergency SOPs are required when you are working water rides.... yow.

I did have a question that may fall under ride operations, however: How long does it take to fill the waterway in White water Canyon? I notice during the off season and when under repair it is drained (makes sense in general) and I just wondered how long it took to refill the waterway and loading area. I can't imagine what kind of Emergency SOPs are required when you are working water rides.... yow.

Not as long as you might think. The pumps used are quite impressive and quickly fill the trough.

That's awesome! I wanna get drive trained at DB! Firehawk looks fun to drive too, but I think the funnest is FoF still, it's so fun to launch! If it's allowed, I could take a picture of our computer next April, and I do have a picture of the main control panel along with some other cool stuff, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it :/

It just your typical Allen bradly Contraol Pannel lol. Ive seen what the Main Pannel of FOF looks like many of times. I have many more Pics Id love to show but thats just the Log in screen I don't see a prop with the log in screen beign showed. I know my limits what to post on hear and what not to lol.

Actually, sir, it is in fact not a "typical" Allen Bradley control panel. Aside from the rides in Planet Snoopy, no two rides have the exact same control set up. The majority of the rides feature an Allen Bradley diagnostic screen and while the physical control panels may use plastic Allen Bradley buttons, the one at Flight of Fear is not made specifically by Allen Bradley.

If you had actually seen the FoF control panels, you'd know this. Also, there are a total of three control panels and two diagnostic screens throughout the entire ride area. Austin, if I were you, I would not post it.

PkiBoy, you may claim to have seen things and you have stated numerous times that you have "friends" in high places at KI, but you can't even use the right form of "here" in a sentence.

Haha, I always liked that guy. The Maple Tree King is right except there are three diagnostic screens. Two touch screens and one PanelView. While all the push buttons and such are made by AB, the control panel itself was manufactured by an outside company(not Allen Bradley) I do believe. So it's not your "typical allen bradley control panel".

Haha, I always liked that guy. The Maple Tree King is right except there are three diagnostic screens. Two touch screens and one PanelView. While all the push buttons and such are made by AB, the control panel itself was manufactured by an outside company(not Allen Bradley) I do believe. So it's not your "typical allen bradley control panel".

My apologies on that sir, thank you for the clarification!

Joe Cool's Dodgem School is clearly the most difficult ...

While the Planet Snoopy rides may not be the hardest to actually operate, I'm guessing that having to deal with the kids (and parents) may make them one of the hardest places to be a ride op.

You're right in that area, though the parents could be worse than the kids at times.

Having worked both flats and a couple coasters at Cedar Point, the rides themselves are the easy part. They don't talk back, and always follow directions. Except for the platforms on Super Himalaya and the Matterhorn, by the end of a summer climbing around those things you have some pretty sweet calves...

I did have a question that may fall under ride operations, however: How long does it take to fill the waterway in White water Canyon?

During the season, in the morning when it is time to start up White Water Canyon it takes approximately 5 minutes for the water to make its way all the way around the trough. White Water Canyon has 4 pumps that move the water from the bottom of the lift to the top at the station. At any given time, only 3 pumps run. Each pump pushes about 10,000 gallons of water per minute up and out of the valves and with 3 pumps running during operation, you are looking at 30,000 gallons per minute. With it taking about 5 minutes for the water to first make its way around in the morning you are looking at about, at minimum, 150,000 gallons of water in the trough at any given time.

I did have a question that may fall under ride operations, however: How long does it take to fill the waterway in White water Canyon?

During the season, in the morning when it is time to start up White Water Canyon it takes approximately 5 minutes for the water to make its way all the way around the trough. White Water Canyon has 4 pumps that move the water from the bottom of the lift to the top at the station. At any given time, only 3 pumps run. Each pump pushes about 10,000 gallons of water per minute up and out of the valves and with 3 pumps running during operation, you are looking at 30,000 gallons per minute. With it taking about 5 minutes for the water to first make its way around in the morning you are looking at about, at minimum, 150,000 gallons of water in the trough at any given time.

Cool information to know tycoonrebel. Thanks for sharing!

Guest rcfreak339

My apologies on that sir, thank you for the clarification!

I have a question both of you can probably answer,

How many screens do most control panels on the coasters at Kings Island have? Do some coasters have fewer or more? How many diagnostic screens do most rides have?

What he said....All of the major coasters have some sort of AllenBradley PanelView or MessageView that the operator can see/use. Same goes for many of the major flat rides. Most do nothing more (at least for the ride ops) than keep capacity and display the fault in the event of an electrical problem. Nine times out of ten there will be a much larger PanelView or touch screen in the rides PLC room as well as a desktop computer. One of my favorite memories from being a ride op is operating Congo Falls with a laptop computer.

On the subject of designing, I have been involved with some projects in the amusement industry that are very near and dear to my heart. Lets just say that one of my co-ops provided an excellent opportunity! Those of you who know me well, know where I worked and what I got to work on!

Oh yeah? Well I had a great deal of input in the development of Gate Central, in the user interface aspects of the program. So there! :P:lol:

Gator, trying to compensate for the fact that I can in no way beat resetting equipment in the Netherlands with my cell phone in the US, or designing parts for rides at WDW! (however some of my ideas are used at parks around the country with Gate Central :D )

I've discovered a rip in the space time contenum where one can fall in, and super age to death and then be reborn over and over and over again, each death and life is different...I have also came up with the solution to world hunger, and elixer of death AND life, and well this is a small feat designed a new program for Nuclear Fission creating only .000002% Radioactive Waste....

Alls a good week of work....

Beat that?