Turn Boomerang Bay Into Halloween Haunt?

firehawkboy

Sorry if this has been posted before, I haven't been on here in a while

How crazy would it be if Kings Island turned parts of Boomerang Ba, if not all, into Halloween Haunt, to make it bigger?

Imagine all the things they could do over there:

• Turn the lazy river into a new & improved CornStalkers. I'm sure it'll be much better than behind Congo.
  • Turn the wave pool into some sort of crazy maze, with the slanted floor. Tall walls, strobe lights, fog.

I'm sure there are lots more ideas.

You guys think this is a good idea??

Write down some of your ideas.

While I agree that it would be a good idea to utilize some of that space, I think there are also a few reasons why they don't.

For all intents and purposes, I would guess that once Boomerang Bay's season is over and it's cleaned & covered, it is "dead" for the year, and the operating costs for that part of the park are reduced greatly - no electricity, no food service, no bathrooms, etc. If the main part of Kings Island can support the Haunt crowds (which, granted, some allege that it cannot), then why open up a whole other part of the park that will require more electricity, more water, more food, more employees, etc.

Probably another reason is that for the most part, there's very little cover in which to place the haunts, and little protection from the elements. Mazes like CornStalkers or Tombstone Terrortory can be outside because a lot of the props they use are weather resistant and sparse. As a whole, I think that the indoor mazes are held in higher regard because they have much more attention to detail, much more elaborate props and settings and designs etc. simply because they're protected. They're a bit warmer and protected and they can use more intricate lighting... Just the impression I get is that the indoor haunts are generally "better," and there isn't much room for indoor haunts in Boomerang Bay. And the slanted floor of the wave pool would probably not work in practice, simply because it would amount to people falling into walls (and knocking them over), losing their footing, and being generally tired after trudging up and down that incline, back and forth, for the duration of the maze. EDIT: And Marketing Express makes a very very very valid point about the rain and such.

Probably the most notable reason is that Boomerang Bay is so far removed from the park, it would be a chore to get people there (especially with the train already being occupied as its own haunted house). Essentially, they'd have to erect a pathway through (the closed) Planet Snoopy, down past the Picnic Grove, across the train tracks, and through Boomerang Bay's main entrance just to access one or two houses. Even if the train was reconfigured to serve as transportation, that's a wait for the train, a ride on the train, a walk through Boomerang Bay, and then a line for a haunted house. It would probably cause a lot of confusion.

I think it would be cool, and I bet they could alleviate some of the crowds and make a nice outdoor maze or two, but I don't know that the benefits outweigh the costs...

First thing that pops into my head is when it rains, all of that water flowing in and into the lazy river and wave pools. Granted both have several drains, but there still remains a puddling problem and a slip and fall issue. Not to metion damage to the props and scenery

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,,,,,, So what's so different between our Lazy River & the one at Cedar Point? They use theirs for CornStalkers.

There's ways around building indoor haunts outdoors. Don't forget, Cut-Throat Cove originally started out as Sleepy Hollow Horror back in 2004 underneath a giant white tent next to the Showplace stage. Sometimes black tarp or mesh is placed over certain portions of an attraction, although usually this is done to distinguish an indoor from an outdoor scene in the maze (ie: a kitchen scene leading to a backyard scene). So I'd venture to say that it's possible to house indoor haunts in the Bay by way of big white tents. It's just the question of where in the water park could one fit a maze the size of, say, Slaughterhouse or even one as massive as Urgent Scare (which equates to around roughly 3000+ square feet, which is massive in haunted house terms; the average haunt only reaches 2000 or so).

First thing that pops into my head is when it rains, all of that water flowing in and into the lazy river and wave pools. Granted both have several drains, but there still remains a puddling problem and a slip and fall issue. Not to metion damage to the props and scenery

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,,,,,, So what's so different between our Lazy River & the one at Cedar Point? They use theirs for CornStalkers.

Can't say that I've had the pleasure of drifting through CP's lazy river, or walking through it while drained as I have at KI.

The area for BB is not large enough and does not have enough amenities for the crowd HH brings in.

Well, I never did say ALL of HH, just some, if not most.

I'm saying, like Cornstalkers could be moved over to BB,

or maybe even more Haunts.

I think GYK made some valid points and I think it's just too far out of the way from the rest of the haunts. It would be one thing if they could fit it all in BB. But you get back to the problem with guests walking through or past a closed area of the park (PS and picnic grove)and trying to make sure no guests wonder off in the closed area.

CP's Cornstalkers takes place in Thunder Canyon, not the lazy river.

You also have to remember its not well lit back there.

Your answer is correct.

They looked into doing stuff for Haunt (Fearfest at the time) several years back, but couldn't solve the lighting issue in a reasonable way. Boomerang Bay is definitely designed to be a daytime area of the park..

They could add lights easy enough back there it wouldn't be hard.

Really? You'd be astounded how much the Kochs spent and how difficult it was to add lighting to Holiday World. Until several seasons after Raven was built, there was essentially only minimal security lighting in the park. I was fortunate enough to be in that park after dark several times back then, and to get out was best done with a flashlight (or torch).

CP's Cornstalkers takes place in Thunder Canyon, not the lazy river.

It's the same thing. Both flow water. Both drain water. Both can be used.

I think some of you guys are taking it a little further than intended.

^My hot tub flows and drains water, is that a lazy river or river rapids ride?

A lazy river is typically 2-3 feet deep and is lined with concrete walls. A river rapids ride (like thunder canyon and WWC)is a little deeper however much wider.

The difference is like comparing the width of a hallway in your house to the width of a 2 car garage. Obvously in a lazy river bed there is a limited area in which people can go. This becomes more congested when you start adding halloween props and scare actors. I won't even get into fire codes and emergency exits, but I'm sure that would also be a factor.

We're not taking it further then intended, we are answering your original question...

• Turn the lazy river into a new & improved CornStalkers. I'm sure it'll be much better than behind Congo.
  • Turn the wave pool into some sort of crazy maze, with the slanted floor. Tall walls, strobe lights, fog.

Write down some of your ideas.[/font]

^My hot tub flows and drains water, is that a lazy river or river rapids ride?

A lazy river is typically 2-3 feet deep and is lined with concrete walls. A river rapids ride (like thunder canyon and WWC)is a little deeper however much wider.

The difference is like comparing the width of a hallway in your house to the width of a 2 car garage. Obvously in a lazy river bed there is a limited area in which people can go. This becomes more congested when you start adding halloween props and scare actors. I won't even get into fire codes and emergency exits, but I'm sure that would also be a factor.

We're not taking it further then intended, we are answering your original question...

Write down some of your ideas.[/font]

And I wasn't talking about a hot tub. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Well though having HH at boomerang bay might seem like a good idea, it really isn't. And there is also the purpose of theme that plays with it as well. Agreeing with goodyyellowkorn it would cost KI more money to keep that area open. They have to fun food, water electricity and even more workers than the extra 400 they hire to work as scareactors for the Haunt. I actually have worked for HH as a scareactor and this discussion comes up between employees often. One reason this would not be a good idea is what theme of haunt would the put in there? Most of the haunts actually are placed in a certain area of the park to further accent the horror theme, like Carnevil is close to the children's area and Tombstone is set by the western side, and Pirate Cove is over the lake. So what would Boomerang By accent? The outback gone wrong with rabid kangaroos? Also there is the fact of getting guest from the main park to there since the train is closed and the children area gets closed off to preserve for the children's events during the day time on Saturday.

Well though having HH at boomerang bay might seem like a good idea, it really isn't. And there is also the purpose of theme that plays with it as well. Agreeing with goodyyellowkorn it would cost KI more money to keep that area open. They have to fun food, water electricity and even more workers than the extra 400 they hire to work as scareactors for the Haunt. I actually have worked for HH as a scareactor and this discussion comes up between employees often. One reason this would not be a good idea is what theme of haunt would the put in there? Most of the haunts actually are placed in a certain area of the park to further accent the horror theme, like Carnevil is close to the children's area and Tombstone is set by the western side, and Pirate Cove is over the lake. So what would Boomerang By accent? The outback gone wrong with rabid kangaroos? Also there is the fact of getting guest from the main park to there since the train is closed and the children area gets closed off to preserve for the children's events during the day time on Saturday.

Actually, Tombstone is the only maze that even closely fits with the surrounding area. Coney Maul is themed to a dilapidated carnival, yet its attractions include a haunted mansion, haunted hospital, psychotic prison, and backwoods trail. And Waste Land, which used to be themed to a government outpost overrun with aliens, hold a slaughterhouse, a vampire bar, a farm with rabid scarecrows, and a werewolf-infested forest.