WindSeeker Construction is underway

Colonel_SoB_fan

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know. When I was doing research for my thesis document years ago and came across that term, I had to do a double take. It doesn`t seem to be in character for a Disney term. But that is how they spell it. Having met an Imagineer at EPCOT before, it is simply amazing the amount of time and energy they put into designing their attractions down there. No detail is too small. They often redesign queues for rides, after they see the actual operations of the ride, and what people will do. (Ie, will adding a wall, block a view that will enhance the experience and keep people from ducking under a rope? Or are people`s hands wearing down a certain material, that they need to replace with a more durable material.) All stuff that most seasonal amusement parks do not have the time or resources to pursue.

I am personally excited to see the completed WindSeeker standing tall above Kings Island skyline and to see the height looking more and more higher with every step I make walking down Coney Mall. I am also excited to ride WindSeeker for my first time but in truth you probably will not see me running to ride it first everyday or even with every visit as I tend to feel a bit queasy with some rides that go super high while my feet dangle below. What I hope for more than anything with WindSeeker is that it gets some type of light package and not just floodlight typ lighting. I think having a light package will really make the Kings Island skyline really pop and add a fresh look to the evening skyline.

I am adding another thought here as it does relate to this topic but relates to other topics as well especially when Kings Island puts out information. I feel that when Kings Island puts out information other than through press releases, they often present it in a heuristic way. I feel this serves them well as most discussion about Kings Island is good, it keeps interest and at times builds excitement for the park. I have come to feel this is in a way good for this community as I have witnessed when some other parks put out information it is often very informative and leaves little out for readers imaginations or for discussion. Sure at times it is a bit frustrating to figure things out but like in this thread it has been a informative learning experience and lead to exploring a variety of scenarios from the past to the future. I mean if we get to far off base it seems a carrier pigeon gets sent from Kings Island to KICrentrals Admin office, so in a way no big harm if we explore the various options. I do enjoy when fellow members offer up their knowledge from their own experience to wild theories as sometimes when a combination of the two gets thrown out there as a group we are challenged to think out side the box, versus just have the plan up front facts on a subject. This community should feel proud because not only do we become more insightful because of heuristic information but because at times when we wonder off base to much at least we have secured job security for carrier pigeons and the KICentral Admin's.

Another well crafted post Jesse!

I too hope that WindSeeker gets a nice lighting package. Apparently the one at Cedar Point is supposed to get a nice lighting package. Hopefully, that is uniform with all four WindSeekers. Although, I could see Cedar Point`s getting some special treatment since Cedar Point is the flagship park (and they aren`t repaving an entire midway with pavers either).

Plus let's get real: new pavers, landscaping, and atmosphere will last much longer than a lighting package...

True in many ways but me personally I think I would rather wait a year for the landscaping if it meant getting a nice atmosphere lighting package this year because it seems once a ride is installed it seldom gets an update for a while. I appreciate either one but it would be a nice touch to have both and they would compliment each other nicely. It would be like building a nice deck in the back yard overlooking a sculpture or waterfall/pond and just putting up a spotlight to illuminate it instead of accent lighting. It adds an additional expense sure but it makes a big difference in overall appearance and enjoyment.

I wonder why they don't put it in the grassy area where the laser tag building was. It seems like the perfect spot, and since parks comes up with their plans for new additions a couple years before, you would think that when they decided to install WindSeeker, is when they also took out the laser tag building...to put it there.

Your post reminded me of my visit during Ride Warriors Weekend at Kings Island back in 2009 on May 8th. I was walking with Captain Picard and his wonderful wife from The Beast to go up Coney Mall for a scheduled event and when we got by Juke Box Diner I looked over to the right and seen a bunch of white shirt and tie guys surrounding a one Mr. Kinzel and they are walking up from about the area that the WindSeeker is being planed. Mr Kinzel was very approachable and we had a nice short conversation about Kings Island and I was able to get a quick picture with him.

0_0_62b89800479033d4d270a8f31b2c54e6_1.jpg

I remember discussing with Captian Picard in wondering if they where discussing a possible new addition around that area as we were a bit perplexed why so many white shirts and Mr. Kinzel would all be in that area together like that. I was hopping that maybe they would be exploring a new addition for 2010 of something like Cedar Points Nights of Fire Show to be put at the end of that area. Obviously that did not happen but now wonder if that meeting had something to do with WindSeeeker placement. I guess we will never know but I thought I would share.

Plus let's get real: new pavers, landscaping, and atmosphere will last much longer than a lighting package...

True in many ways but me personally I think I would rather wait a year for the landscaping if it meant getting a nice atmosphere lighting package this year because it seems once a ride is installed it seldom gets an update for a while. I appreciate either one but it would be a nice touch to have both and they would compliment each other nicely. It would be like building a nice deck in the back yard overlooking a sculpture or waterfall/pond and just putting up a spotlight to illuminate it instead of accent lighting. It adds an additional expense sure but it makes a big difference in overall appearance and enjoyment.

I wonder why they don't put it in the grassy area where the laser tag building was. It seems like the perfect spot, and since parks comes up with their plans for new additions a couple years before, you would think that when they decided to install WindSeeker, is when they also took out the laser tag building...to put it there.

Your post reminded me of my visit during Ride Warriors Weekend at Kings Island back in 2009 on May 8th. I was walking with Captain Picard and his wonderful wife from The Beast to go up Coney Mall for a scheduled event and when we got by Juke Box Diner I looked over to the right and seen a bunch of white shirt and tie guys surrounding a one Mr. Kinzel and they are walking up from about the area that the WindSeeker is being planed. Mr Kinzel was very approachable and we had a nice short conversation about Kings Island and I was able to get a quick picture with him.

0_0_62b89800479033d4d270a8f31b2c54e6_1.jpg

I remember discussing with Captian Picard in wondering if they where discussing a possible new addition around that area as we were a bit perplexed why so many white shirts and Mr. Kinzel would all be in that area together like that. I was hopping that maybe they would be exploring a new addition for 2010 of something like Cedar Points Nights of Fire Show to be put at the end of that area. Obviously that did not happen but now wonder if that meeting had something to do with WindSeeeker placement. I guess we will never know but I thought I would share.

Thanks for sharing Jesse! That is very interesting! I guess I missed seeing all of them on RRW.

I just wish that Ride Warrior Weekend hadn`t happened only in 2009. It was a really fun event, and I missed it in 2010. Hopefully we could see it return in some form in 2011.

I hope so to Robbie! I really enjoyed RRW and have made so many friends since then and think I would really enjoy it even more now that I know so many more members and other enthusiasts!

Luckily, do to new advances in science and technology, researchers have discovered that trees can actually grow back.

In do time.

Terpy, who sometimes likes undo puns

HA!

As far as the actual tree situation goes, I think that any type of construction is good--as long as we end up getting new rides. Landscaping can be made to fit a ride stamp, but a ride can't usually be made to fit a landscape...at least not without altering said landscape a little bit.

RWW was one of the best times of my life. I also remember telling my friend to enjoy it because things that good don't always last. However, I ahd the same thought at Holiwood nights this year and I'm sure they'll have that event again.

I doubt flattery would work but I'm totally willing to beg and grovel for another RWW. Heck I'll even write a theme song!

I was restraining myself from explaining my theory on the correct terminology of the foundations that underpin and restrain the forces of the ride, for fear that not many people would be seeking that information.

And, technically, WindSeeker may not have footings or footers in the traditional sense. Like Drop Tower, it will likely use piles to anchor it into the ground. So it won`t have typical spread footings that are found in typical buildings or ride stations.