WindSeeker Construction is underway

Colonel_SoB_fan

Well, even if we have a nice day like today in the middle of April, it won`t mean that KI will open any earlier than April 30th. I really wish they were opening in Mid-April like they used to. I just think that they don`t want to take a gamble on those days in case the weather is bad. And likely a fair majority of the people visiting the parks those first few weekends are pass holders, as there is no big event to draw them to the park those first few weekends (unlike in October when there is Haunt).

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to wonder about the reasoning behind opening April 30th myself. They're not cutting days, as they're adding days in May to make up for it. So I would guess attendance issues for those first few weeks in April would be the culprit, but then why open those weekdays in May?

I dunno, I'm not a finance guy. Just looking forward to the thirtieth is all! :)

Yeah. I got a "new" computer at work this past week. It is essentially a computer that has been pieced together from other computers and is supposed to be faster because it has more RAM. The only issue is any CD drive I put into it doesn`t seem to work. It always crashes the computer when I try to load something from the CD or even see the contents of the disc...

And it was really windy today. But I got a lot of exercise in. I went to the park and ended up walking 7.2 miles! Bring on spring already!

To much Wind? Ironic

For anyone who is interested in what the KI skyline might look like from the parking lot when Wind Seeker is added, out of boredom, I made this in MS Paint. Beware, it is very fake and cheesy (at least Wind Seeker appears so, the rest of the rides look real because it is a real photo). If you are drinking soda, you might want to swallow first...

SkylinewithWindSeeker.jpg?t=1297650853

Yep...I used the apparent height of Vortex (which I know is 148 feet) to determine about how big Wind Seeker might look from this location. Also, original photo is not mine.

Remember that back in 1999, Face Off opened with the park on opening night (they had a preview night for season pass holders from 5-10pm. Drop Zone didn`t open until sometime in May of that year.

And I do know that there used to be Math and Science days where the park was not open to the general public or pass holders. And then they had a couple alternate dates that were some of the first weekdays of daily operation where the park was open to the general public and pass holders. I know, because my senior year in high school my AP physics class took a field trip to Kings Island, about a week and a half before graduation. I got in with my season pass. Ironically, I was the only person on the bus that had a season pass!

I'm even more impressed with grand old rides like the Coney Island Cyclone or even Beast, designed without computers, by hand, modified in the field, and operational even today. It was a totally different way of doing things, and it is amazing it worked as often as it did...(some things didn't...see Harry Traver's Crystal Beach Cyclone, for just one example...)

I agree with you there. I also am amazed how one person in particular could make coasters based on a twisted wire hanger! :lol:

Of course, none of this says anything about when the wind blows on a perfectly straight structure. A 300 foot tower would seem to have a mind boggling amount of leverage.

To sum up, that foundation is one piece of awesome engineering!

This is actually pretty insightful! The "leverage" you mentioned is known as moment, which is expressed in units of force*distance, like pound*feet, pound*inch, or kip*feet (a kip is a unit commonly used in structural engineering applications, equivalent to half a ton, or 1000 pounds). A moment occurs just as you described it- when a force is applied at a distance away from where that same force is being resisted. So, in the case of WindSeeker, the force is applied to the tower, and the as the tower tries to rotate (fall over), a moment is induced in the foundation as it keeps the tower upright.

Kinda curious as to why they didn't continue the pavers down there. Only thing I can think is that the pathway will go behind that rest room and that is the queue line, but it doesn't seem very efficient.

I do not believe that this is part of the Mall area, but rather the ride pad itself. In terms of circumference, I don't think we are considering the size for both the tower and the device holding the swings. I may be wrong, but I believe this is what is going on...

windseeker1copy-1.jpg

And consider the size/scale of the rides top section by comparison to the above depiction:

__windseeker2.jpg

I don`t believe that the concrete you illustrated as being part of the ride pad will in fact be the ride pad. I think that it will in fact be part of the midway. I think the ride pad will be the area where concrete has not been poured. The tower itself will likely be about the size of the raised foundation with all the anchor bolts. Keep in mind that each arm of swings will be almost completely vertical when it is loading, which means the ride pad won`t have to be as wide as the rendering that shows the swings at their full angle. Does that make sense?

I`m still curious as to what the posts are on the right side. One of them is just barely visible on the right edge of the webcam.

Now that you mention it, I did notice that. But keep in mind it is just a rendering. Renderings are not always accurate in depicting color. See Backlot Stunt Coaster, where the original rendering showed yellow track, but the park decided to change it to gray track after the rendering was made. Or, look at Cheetah Hunt at where, the rendering incorrectly depicted the height of the sky ride cable. The new coaster will actually go OVER the sky ride.

You mean KI changed their website after stating things would be one way for 2011 and then deciding on something different???

I sure hope all those parents who bought gold passes for their children who will only be 48' tall on opening day for the ERT aren't disappointed.

You mean KI changed their website after stating things would be one way for 2011 and then deciding on something different???

I sure hope all those parents who bought gold passes for their children who will only be 48' tall on opening day for the ERT aren't disappointed.

i don't think someone 48 feet tall could even fit on WindSeeker. ;)