WindSeeker Construction is underway

Colonel_SoB_fan

Wow. Is that all?

KI uploaded another construction picture as well. It essentially shows them forming the rebar cage for the pile cap. You can also see two wide flange beams that are being used to hold the rig that has all the bolts that will be used to attach the first tower segment to the foundation. Hopefully, the forecast for light snow towards the end of the week won` t delay the pour. After the poor, don`t look for any vertical construction to occur for about a month, as the concrete will need time to cure.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I understand, there is science behind some natural events that do increase in likelihood over time - earthquakes as one example. After a major release of energy, and when earthquake insurance rates rise (ironically) it is actually less likely for a location to have another major earthquake.

From what I understand, there is science behind some natural events that do increase in likelihood over time - earthquakes as one example. After a major release of energy, and when earthquake insurance rates rise (ironically) it is actually less likely for a location to have another major earthquake.

Kind of like this:

(I think about this scenerio in life every now and then when I see something bad happen.)

But that's because the pressure in the plates have to build in order for a major earth quake to occur. Lets look at California. Those plates haven't moved substantially in years. But say 10 years from now, they pressure builds great enough that they finally move, and a huge earthquake occurs. If the plates move the following year after that, little will happen since all the pressure has been released.

But that is earthquakes. Flooding has no force behind it that builds up, year after year, which could cause a higher probability.

And from yesterday`s blog post, a short description of the foundation for the ride. As I predicted sometime ago, the foundation is comprised of a series of concrete piles, with a concrete pile cap above the piles. In the case of WindSeeker, the pile cap is 6' of concrete!

Here is the segment about the foundation:

You might be interested to know the (12) 42" diameter piers are 33' below grade. The bottom of the 45' wide octagonal foundation pier cap is 7.5' below grade and 6' thick. The 16' diameter pedestral around the (176) anchor bolts extends to grade above the pier cap.

And here is the blog entry: http://www.visitkingsisland.com/public/fun/blog/2011/1/5/WindSeeker_construction_update.cfm

I really wish I could see them pour this first hand... or at least see it when it's ready to be poured. It's just massive.

I hear a lot of buzz about WindSeeker from friends and kids at the school I work at. I think CF will get a lot of bang for their buck on these.

Yes. I saw that. But, like I also said, actual vertical construction won`t begin for quite some time (early March). This is typical because it allows the concrete in the foundations to properly cure. It will be cool to see pieces starting to arrive in the parking lot in a couple of weeks though.

Well, while it may be warmer in sunny California, it still typically takes about 28 days for concrete to gain most of its strength. AND, they just started site work on Knott`s WindSeeker. And they have an open park to work around as well. That in and of itself can restrict the hours in which they can work. And since they were originally supposed to start construction, I`d imagine that the ride is going to open later out there than originally planned. And to site the article that Terpy linked to, Knott`s hopes to open their WindSeeker sometime between Memorial Day and the Fourth of July.