WindSeeker Construction is underway

Colonel_SoB_fan

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. That totally went over my head! (My brain must still be back at the office, since I got to leave early today for Christmas). I thought you were referring to Coney Mall, not "Old Coney," aka, Coney Island, the place that "has it." A little known fact. You can actually see some of the old red sealant on a small section of pathway at Coney to this day. It is located by the fountain near Moonlite Pavilion, right by the Racing Rocket and Super Round Up ride. For those curious, the Monster ride that was located at Coney (and later moved to KI), was located where the Round Up is situated today.

I wouldn't call them pavers...I'd call it what it was, I do believe....brick. Pavers as such were relatively unheard of...in any event, it was most definitely red...I only got to Kings Island once a year most years back then...and the surfaces didn't get as much attention from the younger me as they do now! But yes, Old Coney aka Coney Island had a red hard surface...

I wouldn't call them pavers...I'd call it what it was, I do believe....brick. Pavers as such were relatively unheard of...in any event, it was most definitely red...I only got to Kings Island once a year most years back then...and the surfaces didn't get as much attention from the younger me as they do now! But yes, Old Coney aka Coney Island had a red hard surface...

I thought it was acid-stained concrete... much like what was used in parts of the then-new Walt Disney World?

Then I still have the same question...why was the midway CONCRETE removed and replaced with asphalt so early in its life?

I would guess that the concrete was deemed too expensive to maintain (especially with the addition of restaining it every few years), and was replaced with asphalt to simplify surface maintenance park-wide.

Nope. The original site of the Flying Eagles at Kings Island (as seen in that pictures) is now the home to the very mundane Dodgems ride. The concession stand on either side of the Dodgems, can be seen in that same image (the Skyline, originally dubbed the Lunch Basket) is visible in the lower left corner of the image. The Coney Refreshments stand is visible right by the `Tiques station building.

The original Dodgems building is now the home to storage and also serves as the home for House of Darkness/Massacre Manor during Haunt.

I cannot wait to see the new Coney Mall in person! Moving it back to a nice, high class amusement park area over the old, run down area it was last year sounds good to me! I can't wait to see what the pavers do to the area. It'll be like adding new carpeting to an old room.

I'm waiting for the comments after opening day... "It's ugly, I liked the old asphalt better"... dry.gif