Ocean Motion Lives!

http://www.facebook.com/cedarpoint#!/cedarpoint?v=wall

Fans of Ocean Motion, your ship has come in…well actually it never left...but Ocean Motion will be setting sail from a new port in 2011. Look for it near the front of the park close to the former site of the Demon Drop.

The carousel wont be so lonely this year.

http://www.facebook.com/cedarpoint#!/cedarpoint?v=wall

Fans of Ocean Motion, your ship has come in…well actually it never left...but Ocean Motion will be setting sail from a new port in 2011. Look for it near the front of the park close to the former site of the Demon Drop.

The carousel wont be so lonely this year.

Raise your hand if you didn't see this coming... B)

Wish it could be situated a little closed to the delightfully-themed Hurricane Hannah's, but this will work just fine.

I was very glad to hear this news! Although I hope the accompanying rumor is false. That rumor being that they are removing Chaos and moving the 3-point shot game that was near Demon Drop to the site of Chaos. Anyway, regarding Ocean Motion - my favorite viking ship ride is at Michigans Adventure - the Sea Dragon. During the ride, they lower the tires after it has reached its peak height and the ship is allowed to swing freely for several (back-forth) cycles. It's the coolest feeling! On the last day of Cedar Point this year, we noticed that they did the same thing for Ocean Motion, only for one half-cycle. Is this feature commonly found in viking ship rides? From my recollection, I don't think neither Viking Fury nor the Rage at Canada's Wonderland did this.

I was very glad to hear this news! Although I hope the accompanying rumor is false. That rumor being that they are removing Chaos and moving the 3-point shot game that was near Demon Drop to the site of Chaos. Anyway, regarding Ocean Motion - my favorite viking ship ride is at Michigans Adventure - the Sea Dragon. During the ride, they lower the tires after it has reached its peak height and the ship is allowed to swing freely for several (back-forth) cycles. It's the coolest feeling! On the last day of Cedar Point this year, we noticed that they did the same thing for Ocean Motion, only for one half-cycle. Is this feature commonly found in viking ship rides? From my recollection, I don't think neither Viking Fury nor the Rage at Canada's Wonderland did this.

I enjoy the Chaos ride experience quite a bit, but their inherent problems have caused most models to be scrapped... we're lucky CP has kept theirs as long as they have, especially considering the accident at sister-park Michigan's Adventure.

Is this feature commonly found in viking ship rides? From my recollection, I don't think neither Viking Fury nor the Rage at Canada's Wonderland did this.

I can't speak for whether this is common or not, but the ship at Waldameer definitely swung freely for a bit during its cycle.

Is this feature commonly found in viking ship rides? From my recollection, I don't think neither Viking Fury nor the Rage at Canada's Wonderland did this.

Viking Fury doesn't (and neither does Berzerker: The Asthmatic Experience at Kings Dominion), but River Runner at Coney does. I know this because you suddenly stop feeling the jerk of the tire beneath the ship (not to mention because my stomach suddenly decided motion sickness was a good replacement for butterflies that day). (I didn't ride it, but the kids' swinging ship at Indiana Beach appeared to as well.)

Yep, as stated above, River Runner at Coney does have several free swings where the tire does not engage the boat. The number depends on the balance of the ride. That ride has issues centering upon completion of the ride if the weight is not evenly distributed, resulting in the bars not unlocking.

• 5 months later...

Ocean Motion is being given a bit of new life.

The ride will now have fake rockwork and a 4100 square foot filtered pool of water around it, which should make a good impression on visitors since it's the first thing they'll see upon entering Cedar Point. This small sort of detail is such a great sign to me. If you recall, this is pretty much exactly what Cedar Fair did when transporting Six Flags Ohio's Texas Twister to Great America as FireFall... The simple addition of this volcanic looking rock and a pool of water will undoubtedly create an entirely different experience than a simple 'swinging ship' would by itself.

Yet another step in the right direction. Small details are worthwhile, and we have seen so much evidence to support that Cedar Fair is finally "getting it." Now I'd be happy as a clam if they utilized those small details that are already present in our Crypt and Tower Gardens... They're willing to build it from scratch, but not to utilize it when it's already there... Hopefully that changes, but this is still nice!

OM_ModelSign_main.jpg

OM_ModelTop_main.jpg

Color me surprised with this one... it should look great!

I know it's awful, but I wonder how many of these little details are getting approved by slipping them by Kinzel. With the complete corporate mess happening up there, perhaps he's been too distracted to micromanage. :rolleyes:

Right! Like Chaos. And what about those dark rides that the park had... And Demon Drop.

And of course, the year that Ocean Motion originally opened is also the year that the park removed the Sky Wheel, the Funhouse and the original Shoot the Rapids... And quite recently, White Water Landing was removed for Maverick...

Sometimes rides are removed to make way for other rides. Sometimes they're removed so that another park can have a new ride, instead... But Cedar Point does it just like any other park (and perhaps even moreso - I imagine that we'll see one or two flats removed in the coming years, because at Cedar Point, roller coasters claim eminent domain, and Cedar Point "needs" more of them).

I`m still surprised about Qs latest filing, as it seems like the person stated in that filing could be a good fit for Cedar Fair.

The thing I find most surprising about all the work being done for Ocean Motion, is that they originally said they were going to remove the ride. And then to be spending all this extra money on site work to relocate the ride. Maybe they intended to keep the ride and relocate it all along? But wasn`t it listed on one of those used ride websites as being for sale briefly?

Right! Like Chaos. And what about those dark rides that the park had... And Demon Drop.

And of course, the year that Ocean Motion originally opened is also the year that the park removed the Sky Wheel, the Funhouse and the original Shoot the Rapids... And quite recently, White Water Landing was removed for Maverick...

Sometimes rides are removed to make way for other rides. Sometimes they're removed so that another park can have a new ride, instead... But Cedar Point does it just like any other park (and perhaps even moreso - I imagine that we'll see one or two flats removed in the coming years, because at Cedar Point, roller coasters claim eminent domain, and Cedar Point "needs" more of them).

Don't forget Schwabinchin was removed in 2002 for the move of Chaos to make room for TTD. Dodgems 1 was also removed that year.