New Action Theatre Show?

TheBeastLover

I hope the Spongebob show stays...I absolutely love it! :wub:

See...I love it too, but when it plays over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, it gets annoying. Did I mention it plays over and over again?

• Haha 1

See...I love it too, but when it plays over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, it gets annoying. Did I mention it plays over and over again?

& then...& then...& then...&then,& then,& then...tongue.gif

& then...& then...& then...&then,& then,& then...tongue.gif

I happen to enjoy the over and over and over again-ness of the movie! :P

• 9 years later...

Not sure if anyone has brought this up before but got me thinking with The Vortex removal.  If there were still seats available or they could order new ones . . do you think it would be a popular attraction again if they did POV's of defunct roller coasters.  We could have one for Vortex, SOB, King Cobra, etc..  Maybe even POV's from other parks like MF, Fury, etc..

I would like it but don't know if it's even possible to retrofit Action Theatre to do those types of POV's.  Or how hard it is to program the ride for multiple coasters.  Cause I think people would get tired if it was the same coaster all season long.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, rlentless said:

Not sure if anyone has brought this up before but got me thinking with The Vortex removal.  If there were still seats available or they could order new ones . . do you think it would be a popular attraction again if they did POV's of defunct roller coasters.  We could have one for Vortex, SOB, King Cobra, etc..  Maybe even POV's from other parks like MF, Fury, etc..

I would like it but don't know if it's even possible to retrofit Action Theatre to do those types of POV's.  Or how hard it is to program the ride for multiple coasters.  Cause I think people would get tired if it was the same coaster all season long.

Its.....a possibility....I don't really see it happening though tbh...

47 minutes ago, rlentless said:

I think perhaps the best way to implement something like that would be motion VR and CG renders of the old rides. Seeing as we're probably gonna be losing Invertigo and The Bat within the next ten years, there would be plenty of rides to include. It would be very easy to maintain a high throughput with theater seating and individual headsets.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Benjamin22 said:

I don’t see both The Bat & Invertigo leaving within 10 years, rollercoasters aren’t really a normal occurrence & the park has already removed 2 Coaster recently.

Well unfortunately with the direction that Cedar Fair looks to be going in, we'll likely see a lot more rides/coasters removed over the next few years. Especially the ones that are high in maintenance cost and/or have low ridership. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pkiridesmaint said:

Action theater has been neglected for so long that it would Require a complete overhaul and I don’t see Cedar Fair using any CapEx on it, it’s been used as storage for years. when I worked in Tech Services in the paramount days it was already in bad shape. 

They could do the overhaul if they wanted to add something like what Carowinds has. I'm talking about the plants vs. zombies show.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Well unfortunately with the direction that Cedar Fair looks to be going in, we'll likely see a lot more rides/coasters removed over the next few years. Especially the ones that are high in maintenance cost and/or have low ridership. 

Until other parks start removing more of their older coasters I don’t foresee either of them going anywhere. There’s dozens upon dozens of other older, less popular coasters in the chain.

31 minutes ago, Benjamin22 said:

Until other parks start removing more of their older coasters I don’t foresee either of them going anywhere. There’s dozens upon dozens of other older, less popular coasters in the chain.

Agreed, the only problem being that the older coaster some parks have are located at smaller parks in the chain where they need to keep the coaster for capacity reasons. But I do agree, Kings Island has gotten the short straw in terms of coaster removals. But I think Kings Dominion has gotten worse luck and they might be in for more trouble with Anaconda. But I do hope to see Bat and Invertigo stick around for some time. Also I love the idea of a new film and renovated Action Theatre. That section is really lacking after the absence of Vortex, with basically just Wind seeker and Antique Autos.

I've never much cared for Action Theater, to be honest. When it first opened with Days of Thunder, I'd already been on the simulators at Universal and Disney and I remember leaving feeling really disappointed. The illusion just never worked for me when I could see everyone else in their chairs moving around and laughing (and now, you can basically get the whole concept anywhere with D-Box and 4D movie theaters). It felt like a cheap attempt to try to take Universal and Disney on, although I suppose I could see the appeal for kids (opening a similar attraction in Planet Snoopy might be an interesting attempt). 

As for POV movies of former coasters to replace it, I don't necessarily see that as possible. Aside from maybe Vortex and Firehawk, I don't know that the video footage that exists would be high quality enough to sustain an attraction; especially when talking about old attractions like King Cobra or the original Bat (I doubt a POV for that even exists). But I do wish KI and other parks did more to honor the past; Cedar Point has a really nice little museum, and I wish KI would create something like that. And maybe a possible feature could be a video of old rides or a VR setup or something. As for Action Theater, I'd rather they just tear it down (I know, it's been used for a Haunt building, but I think keeping old buildings around to use once a year just turns them into eyesores in the peak season). 

6 hours ago, Benjamin22 said:

Cough Cough Anaconda 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, foze.bear said:

There is a VERY low quality full-circuit POV of the old Bat on youtube.  Not the quality needed for the AT, but CERTAINLY worth watching.  

Thanks for that. Just looked it up -- yeah, quality is rough. Easy to see why that thing was tearing itself apart, though; those turns are rough. Also fun to catch a glimpse of Zodiac in the background, which was likely there when I started going as a kid, but gone early enough that I have no memory of it. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, cdubbs727 said:

I've never much cared for Action Theater, to be honest. When it first opened with Days of Thunder, I'd already been on the simulators at Universal and Disney and I remember leaving feeling really disappointed. The illusion just never worked for me when I could see everyone else in their chairs moving around and laughing (and now, you can basically get the whole concept anywhere with D-Box and 4D movie theaters). It felt like a cheap attempt to try to take Universal and Disney on, although I suppose I could see the appeal for kids (opening a similar attraction in Planet Snoopy might be an interesting attempt). 

As for POV movies of former coasters to replace it, I don't necessarily see that as possible. Aside from maybe Vortex and Firehawk, I don't know that the video footage that exists would be high quality enough to sustain an attraction; especially when talking about old attractions like King Cobra or the original Bat (I doubt a POV for that even exists). But I do wish KI and other parks did more to honor the past; Cedar Point has a really nice little museum, and I wish KI would create something like that. And maybe a possible feature could be a video of old rides or a VR setup or something. As for Action Theater, I'd rather they just tear it down (I know, it's been used for a Haunt building, but I think keeping old buildings around to use once a year just turns them into eyesores in the peak season). 

Kings Island is packed in the fall. Probably more so than the so called "peak" season. Part of the reason why is all of your "Eyesores". Your trash is someone else's treasure.  I do not want to see those buildings removed if it means losing Haunts. Haunt is the best time of year to go. I love my night rides and going through all the houses. 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2020 at 3:33 AM, SnakePlissken said:

Kings Island is packed in the fall. Probably more so than the so called "peak" season. Part of the reason why is all of your "Eyesores". Your trash is someone else's treasure.  I do not want to see those buildings removed if it means losing Haunts. Haunt is the best time of year to go. I love my night rides and going through all the houses. 

I get it, and I'm not suggesting Kings Island do away with Haunt at all. But in the summer, certain buildings -- "Black hole" or whatever is by The Bat, and the one by The Beast particularly -- stand out just because they're obviously only there for Haunt. Not being in use and just standing out in the middle of the summer with Halloween themeing just is a bad look. I'm not sure that there's a ton that can be done with permanent signage, but any way to hide the fact that "yes, this building only exists for two months out of the year" would be nice. Imagine if there was a Santa's workshop or some other Christmas-themed building just standing out in the middle of summer. 

Action Theater is out of the way enough that, in the end, it's not like it bothers me hugely. But when you ride The Racer, it's impossible not to notice the large, defunct building there (maybe turn it into another showplace during the summer that can be quickly retrofitted into a Haunt in the fall). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cdubbs727 said:

I get it, and I'm not suggesting Kings Island do away with Haunt at all. But in the summer, certain buildings -- "Black hole" or whatever is by The Bat, and the one by The Beast particularly -- stand out just because they're obviously only there for Haunt. Not being in use and just standing out in the middle of the summer with Halloween themeing just is a bad look. I'm not sure that there's a ton that can be done with permanent signage, but any way to hide the fact that "yes, this building only exists for two months out of the year" would be nice. Imagine if there was a Santa's workshop or some other Christmas-themed building just standing out in the middle of summer. 

Action Theater is out of the way enough that, in the end, it's not like it bothers me hugely. But when you ride The Racer, it's impossible not to notice the large, defunct building there (maybe turn it into another showplace during the summer that can be quickly retrofitted into a Haunt in the fall). 

I think Slaughterhouse is mostly hidden. Its gated off and only really visible during the summer from The Beast ride itself and maybe part of the que.

6 hours ago, cdubbs727 said:

You're seriously underestimating the amount of work that goes into building the mazes at KI. I won't go into specifics, but it isn't just "quickly retrofitting"! ;)

• Like 1

I don’t foresee that building being used for a show ever again. At this point, it seems that every FEC, zoo, and museum in the country has a 4D Motion Theater. I don’t believe it would generate any hype to bring one back to KI — the public just doesn’t seem to be interested anymore.

However, I don’t think the building will be removed anytime soon. The basement contains the tech services shop, the right theater is a haunt maze, and my understanding is that the left side is an entertainment workshop of sorts. From the park’s perceptive, it’s still a valuable asset.

Going forward, I hope the exterior gets a facelift. In my opinion, the dated facade is a major eyesore for WindSeeker, Racer, and Orion. Making the exterior as generic as possible and painting the outside a neutral color (think “go away green”) would solve the eyesore problem. Longer term, I’d like to see both theaters completely gutted so that each could house quality mazes, and the queue and landscaping improved.

• Like 2