Coney Island to Host Cirque du Soleil's Ovo

XGatorHead 8904

http://www.cirquedus...cincinnati.aspx

After a 4-year absence, Cirque du Soleil returns to Cincinnati with OVO, its live touring production to set to premiere on April 22, 2011 under the blue-and-yellow Grand Chapiteau (Big Top) at Coney Island. This will be the second visit by Cirque du Soleil to Cincinnati.

Specially-priced tickets are now available to Cirque Club members for an exclusive period at www.cirqueclub.com. Membership is free and registration is quick and simple. Cirque Club members receive advance access to the best seats under the Grand Chapiteau, ticket upgrades, partner promotions and insider information on the world of Cirque du Soleil.

For ticket information, dates, times and special offers, please visit OVO official webpage at www.cirquedusoleil.com/ovo.

About the show:

OVO is a headlong rush into a colourful ecosystem teeming with life, where insects work, eat, crawl, flutter, play, fight and look for love in a non-stop riot of energy and movement. The insects' home is a world of biodiversity and beauty filled with noisy action and moments of quiet emotion. When a mysterious egg appears in their midst, the insects are awestruck and intensely curious about this iconic object that represents the enigma and cycles of their lives.

It’s love at first sight when a gawky, quirky insect arrives in this bustling community and a fabulous ladybug catches his eye – and the feeling is mutual.

OVO is overflowing with contrasts. The hidden, secret world at our feet is revealed as tender and torrid, noisy and quiet, peaceful and chaotic. And as the sun rises on a bright new day the vibrant cycle of insect life begins anew.

Yes, there is always the threat of flooding at Coney in the spring. But all the several years that Coney held the Flower show (right around the same time frame), it never once was flooded out. I do not know where they will have the tents for this. They could put them where they put the flower show tents, located between Lake Como and Kellogg Avenue. The other possibility would be to put them in the gravel parking lot by Gate 1 (the parking lot closest to Moonlite Gardens and used for picnic grove traffic). It will be exciting times at Coney. Not to mention that the last weekend of the show at Coney will also coincide with the official kick off to Coney`s 125th anniversary, the 2011 Appalachian Festival that runs May 6-8th. Coney`s rides typically are open the Saturday and Sunday of the Appalachian Festival (at least they have been the last nine years).

• 4 months later...

Topic bump.

The image below was posted to Coney Island`s Facebook page. The image was taken from atop the Twister tower, looking towards River Downs. This tent, and another smaller tent off to the right were both put up in the last two days. It is a pretty impressive site. Remember, Ovo opens next Thursday, April 21st and runs through Sunday, May 8th at Coney Island. See the link above for ticket ordering information.

217588_10150535097270526_121898760525_17910970_7014113_n.jpg

A portion of Kellogg Avenue by Coney Island and Riverdowns is closed, due to high water currently. Never fear though, the water has just about crested, and will NOT affect any of the Cirque de Soleil performances. The show officially opens tomorrow evening. There is a special dress rehearsal performance tonight. (I am lucky enough to have scored a ticket to that performance, and will be sure to share some highlights of the show later tonight!)

I highly recommend you see Ovo by Cirque Du Soleil. It is well worth the price of admission! The acts in it are sensational, and there is quite a bit of comedy in it, even though there are very few moments of actual dialogue. The costumes are also incredible. The show officially opens tomorrow night, and runs through May 15th.

206589_930940655515_21403849_43578993_4871090_n.jpg

I'm still debating about whether or not I want to see this. $30-$40 is a lot of money for a show like that, but it does look interesting.

There is of course the flooding issue again - with all this rain we're supposed to get over the next several days, it could be a bit more difficult to get to Coney from points west.

Unfortunately, high waters from the Ohio River have forced the cancellation of the performance tonight, as well as both performances on Saturday. As of right now, the 1pm showing of Cirque will go on as planned. Read more here: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110422/ENT07/104230313/Cirque-shows-canceled-tonight-Saturday-?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

• 6 months later...

I can`t say that I`m surprised. With the amount of shows that were canceled at Coney last year. Not to mention, having it at Bank of Kentucky Center will mean less costs associated with raising the big top. And BoKC is not far from Coney, just across the river. The shows are definitely entertaining. I did get a chance to see Ovo at Coney last year, and it was a wonderful experience. Granted, I got free tickets to it, so didn`t have to pay the steep price of admission.