Guess Who's Getting a Paint Job

BoddaH1994

Flight Deck's track, for the most part was NOT rusted. It simply was the faded red showing through the steel track. And some rust actually helps protect the steel.

And for the record Coney Islander, the Python is now simply the Python. The sign on the ride that used to say Pepsi has been replaced with a Coney Island sign.

Metal fatigue is completely different a problem, not often related to the lack of or absence of a protective covering to the structure. Metal fatigue relates to the grade of the metal (which may be effected by corrosion), and the overall stress exhibited on the structure. To my knowledge, Flight Deck has no such problem.

Given that, the only similarites between KC and FD is that each recieved a paint job(s) during their lifespan.

KC was removed for metal issues under the PKI logo. When PKI decided to spend the money to paint KC has nothing to do with CF, or who is in charge of CF.

Attempting to suggest anything different is simply apples and oranges.

I will find it amazing if Flight Deck had not received damage, being exposed directly to the elements for such a long time. I expect minor metal corrosion to have taken place; ie. rust caused by the chemical reaction between steel and rain water, or in many cases, water vapor.

I know just as little on the subject of steel corrosion and wear, but I don't think water in any form is going to be an issue for coaster steel, regardless of upkeep on the paint job... Anyone else remember when Vortex's supports were basically white several seasons ago because the purple had faded and cracked so much? Nobody here is really concerned about Vortex's structural integrity...

I'm in no way concerned about Flight Deck's structural integrity either. As many have said most of the red was the old paint, not rust. And from a rider's perspective, Flight Deck rides a heck of a lot better than Iron Dragon, which I found to be less smooth and "creakier" than Flight Deck, which I think rides very nicely.

And then there's Flight of Fear, which doubtlessly has not been painted since it was built (of course, it's also not exposed to the elements)... Or so I'd assume. And for an example of Premier's steel fabrication, take a look at the Italian Job's former splashdown track...

I know just as little on the subject of steel corrosion and wear, but I don't think water in any form is going to be an issue for coaster steel, regardless of upkeep on the paint job... Anyone else remember when Vortex's supports were basically white several seasons ago because the purple had faded and cracked so much? Nobody here is really concerned about Vortex's structural integrity...

I for one am, donthca know it's sinking :D

Corba will be here ALL week!

• Like 1

Guest rcfreak339

Flight Deck's track, for the most part was NOT rusted. It simply was the faded red showing through the steel track. And some rust actually helps protect the steel.

And for the record Coney Islander, the Python is now simply the Python. The sign on the ride that used to say Pepsi has been replaced with a Coney Island sign.

DO you mind posting a picture? I haven't been to Coney in years and I haven't found a picture of the revamped Python, and I'd love to see it.

Guest rcfreak339

DO you mind posting a picture? I haven't been to Coney in years and I haven't found a picture of the revamped Python, and I'd love to see it.

Based on the comments in that video, they are only painting the track, and it appears as if it is getting painted the same color. Too bad they aren`t painting the supports as well. And too bad they kept the silver color. It would have been nice to return the red color or add a different color. At least they are giving the ride some attention. Not as much attention as it should get, but its better than not getting painted at all. Now the one ride with supports that do need painted are Invertigo! The red is badly fading to pink. (And Delirium could use a touch up in some areas, as there are a few rust spots on the arm).

And I have some more pictures from Coney this summer (including the new bumper boat dock). They will eventually find their way onto Coney Island Central, but I have not had the time to get them up there just yet.

• Like 1

Some of my earliest memories of Kings Island are about the absolutely BLAZING colors of FACE/OFF looming over the entrance - the almost indescribably bright, but not "electric" or "neon" yellow and the light-but-deep red. Today it's sort of like macaroni and cheese meets a sun-bleached strawberry.

Basically what it comes down to is that most of Action Zone could probably use some sprucing up... Painting Flight Deck (even if it's not the way we want) is a fantastic first step and I'm so overjoyed that it's happened at all. It's not a cheap or easy task for anyone involved, so we should be extraordinarily grateful that it's happened.

• Like 1

Looks like they have not started to paint. They are just washing the old dirt and paint off

Watch the video provided on the previous page. They point out that certain sections of the ride are done, "primed and painted" while others are still being prepared.

Via the KI blog and twitter.

http://www.visitkingsisland.com/public/fun/blog/2010/11/17/Painting_Flight_Deck_among_offseason_projects.cfm

http://twitter.com/#!/kingsislandpr

They've posted on sites that get high traffic, not just from enthusiasts but from the gp.

I had a friend from Piqua, Ohio over the other day without me even talking about Kings Island say, hey did you know Flight Deck is being painted?

I don't think it's just the enthusiasts creating hype.

Keeping everyone informed on what is going on in the park during the off season is not creating hype. They simply said they were repainting Flight Deck. They didn't say anything like "Get ready for Flight Deck's All New Look in 2011!". It's more than likely going to remain the same color, and that's fine, it'll still look a lot better than the past few years.

But there was no hype built up around this, just information.

^ ^But it's the enthusiasts that want the buzz.

Many here (enthusiasts) are critical of the park for not giving enough information.

Now the park is suppling what we ask for, and since some don't like the color, it's just the park is creating hype?

No matter what the park does, they can't win....