Indianapolis Zoo to receive new attraction

http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/newsitem.asp?ID=44762

November 17, 2010

News Release

ORLANDO, FL – (November 16, 2010) – Master attraction ride inventor, Bill Kitchen has done it again! He unveiled his new ride, SkyQuest, during the 2010 conference and expo of the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA). Kitchen, who is no stranger to the attraction industry, has delivered over 200 rides in the past 20 years. His first invention was SkyCoaster, a large high-thrill swing, which became the world’s best-selling ride and was installed at Six Flags, Paramount, Cedar Fair Parks, MGM Grand and at independent operations world-wide. His next invention was SkyVenture, an indoor skydiving attraction, which became profitable within the first year of business and sold world-wide.

Scheduled to break ground sometime next year and be completed in 2012 at the Indianapolis Zoo, the two-acre SkyQuest people mover will crown the new, innovative Orangutan exhibit and will give each rider a chance to be “up close and personal” with these beautiful animals and to also get a bird’s eye view with ride heights ranging from 10 to 40ft. up in the air. Guests will embark and disembark the 15 to 20-minute ride through a covered loading platform. Up to four riders can ride in the gondolas, (similar to hot-air balloon baskets), moving at a pace of 1mph.

The two-million dollar ride can hold 1,000 riders per hour and is expected to be a highlight of the zoo.

“We are thrilled to bring a quality ride to the Indianapolis community,” states Bill Kitchen, CEO of US Thrill Rides LLC. “We pride ourselves in offering the best entertainment and SkyQuest will deliver fun for all ages.”

About US ThrillRides LLC

US Thrill Rides LLC, based in Orlando, FL, is conceived and owned by entrepreneur and visionary Bill Kitchen who is a master at inventing amusement park rides. His list of inventions include: SkyCoaster, SkyVenture vertical wind tunnel (also called iFly), UniCoaster, SkyQuest, and SkyView. They currently have rides located world-wide and are on the fast track for major expansion. For additional information, please call 407.909.8899 or visit www.usthrillrides.com.

I would never think of a ride like this at a zoo! Yes, I understand carousels and small water rides...but a skyride?

After I initially saw this info, I was kind of taken back. But lookin into the Indianapolis Zoo's website I noticed that they do have a family coaster, 3D ride and some other small rides.

I would love to see this Zoo become a zoo like Columbus Zoo!

I love the Columbus Zoo with the acquisition of Wyandot Lake, making the expansion of the water park, as another option with the zoo as well as Jungle Jack's Landing. It all fits perfectly well together, since Wyandot Lake was right next to the zoo and how they brought the space in between together to improve area usage.

I'll be the first to say it...I don't like it. At first when I heard of the idea, I thought it could work, but after looking at the concept art and reading more about it I can't seem to find a point to the exhibit. For one, if you decide to "ride" it, you are stuck inside for 15-20 minutes. I don't know about you but thats a long time to look at orangutans. Another thing is that the zoo, if continuing the tradition of its other rides, will charge extra for this. How many people would really spend money to go up and see orangutans from a skyride when you can view them from down below? And of course some exhibit is probably being taken away for this ride.