The bat

jrose530

I completely agree....you can tell a great story with just a little bit of theming...but for some reason I think a lot of ppl dont like this type of coaster in general which is sad cause I find them really entertaining...I mean I hear a lot of people complain about FD but I find it as a great ride...I dont know it may just be me but I could see a lot of potential for suspened coasters than what has been done with them

^The Bat was removed end of 1982, Flight Deck opened in 1993. Over a decade in-between. To answer your question- no.

Actually Ty, The Bat was not removed until 1985. It actually ran for about 6 weeks in 1983. They tried to make a come back with it, but that unfortunately failed, too.

You know, the more I look at it, the less likely it seems that The Bat's trains were sent to Chessington.

Here is a picture of Vampire:

19909.jpg

...and here is a picture of The Bat.

bat-8.jpg

While the two trains do, in fact, seem similar, the texture on the trains of Vampire is not present on the trains of The Bat. The claws on The Bat's trains are different than the ones on Vampire's trains, as are the ears. Vampire's trains have handles on the shoulder restraints, which are not present on The Bat's trains. Also, the wheels that connect to the side of the track seem to differ from Vampire to The Bat-while Vampire's trains have large wheels, The Bat seems to have either a set of side wheels or simply large metal plates.

So, in conclusion, unless the trains from The Bat were quite heavily modified between when The Bat closed and Vampire opened, it is physically imppossible for the trains from The Bat to be the one used on Vampire before the Vekoma trains used today.

Myth Busted.

^The Bat was removed end of 1982, Flight Deck opened in 1993. Over a decade in-between. To answer your question- no.

Actually Ty, The Bat was not removed until 1985.

Bat was removed in 1984.

No, it sat as SBNO during the entire 1984 season. It was dismantled during the 1985 season. I have pics of it being dismantled from the Eiffel Tower in 1985. I was there!

The major problem I see with suspended coasters is that in order to make them lengthy enough, like a regular coaster, you would have to increase the lift hill heigth or have numerous lift hills as the track's circuit needs to keep sloping downwards. The Bat was a dual lift hill configuartion which provided a decent ride time whereas Flight Deck has only one lift hill, and no MCBR, and although paced well, it has a very short ride time. The swinging cars of The Bat made for quite a wild ride and it was unfortunate that it was a maintainance nightmare - if a different system could have been invented that would have been more durable when it came to supporting/absorbing side to side motions, I believe the ride woould still be in operation today.

And I must say that those old Bat cars and the cars from Chessington do look similar!

Bat was removed in 1984.

No, it sat as SBNO during the entire 1984 season. It was dismantled during the 1985 season. I have pics of it being dismantled from the Eiffel Tower in 1985. I was there!

I was there as well and also have pictures of it being dismantled in 1984.

It was not finished being dismantled until 1985.

Also, see here:

http://www.rcdb.com/627.htm

Bat was removed in 1984.

I was there as well and also have pictures of it being dismantled in 1984.

It was not finished being dismantled until 1985.

If you have time could you post them?? I'd like to see that

I believe you answered your own question, but as far as how many readers and members have rode The Bat at Kings Island here on KICentral I would say that figure is over a thousand (easy) including myself. It was a fun coaster to ride and loved the high swinging motion.

Did anyone get to ride The Bat? I was lucky enough to ride it twice. I think I still have a button that says "I rode it" with The Bat logo.

I rode it several times in 1981, and once or twice in 1983. It was my favorite Arrow Suspended coaster, until I rode Big Bad Wolf. Now both

are sadly gone :(