Beast will lose record for longest wooden roller coaster in 2011

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perspective.

Once upon a time, Cedar Fair built the tallest, fastest roller coaster in the world.

Twenty-Five Million Dollars did they spend on it. And it ran. At least sometimes.

Only two seasons did that coaster retain that record. And the one that succeeded it? It ran. At least sometimes.

And now it is no longer the fastest.

Perspective.

Perspective.

Once upon a time, Cedar Fair built the tallest, fastest roller coaster in the world.

Twenty-Five Million Dollars did they spend on it. And it ran. At least sometimes.

Only two seasons did that coaster retain that record. And the one that succeeded it? It ran. At least sometimes.

Perspective.

And then there's that time that Cedar Fair built the tallest, fastest roller coaster in the world, and then twenty-five million dollars and a few short months later, it wasn't anymore.

Be aware that some people see multi-million dollar new coasters as wastes of money...and that some of those people now run and/or control the capital spending at major US park chains...

I must ask, who are these people and what chains do they run and/or control?

I myself believe that multi- million coasters are largely a waste, at least in the current situations regarding Six Flags and Cedar Fair...

The key is to prioritize. Roller coasters should never be a first priority. I can't think of a single situation where a roller coaster should ever come before customer service, safety, affordability, etc. Sure, some say that theme or family attractions or food selection comes before roller coasters, but that's all opinion. Customer service being #1? Don't know many who'd argue with that...

Perspective.

Perspective.

And then there's that time that Cedar Fair built the tallest, fastest roller coaster in the world, and then twenty-five million dollars and a few short months later, it wasn't anymore.

Many time CF has built the tallest coaster in the world, and it was always broken. The unique thing about The Beast's record is that it has lasted this long.

The key is to prioritize. Roller coasters should never be a first priority. I can't think of a single situation where a roller coaster should ever come before customer service, safety, affordability, etc. Sure, some say that theme or family attractions or food selection comes before roller coasters, but that's all opinion. Customer service being #1? Don't know many who'd argue with that...

Case in point "Holiday World." Even though they do have 3 great coasters!

Well, I guess 34 years as the world's longest wooden coaster was a pretty good run. Maybe the funding for this new park will fall through like so many others.

OK, that was my mean side coming out. Actually, I see the addition of new parks/coasters as a good thing. I'll still enjoy my rides on The Beast (especially at night) whether it's the longest or not.

The one minor thing you take for granted in this argument is the lifecycle of the business. Customer service and/or employee satisfaction (especially according to Herb Kelleher) are definitely always first and are the one keystone you can point to for longevity and success. However, being great at customer service itself (a black and white perspective) will not immediately bring many people in the gates on day one. And safety may always be number one, as it should in the amusement industry. Your single situation would be in a time of real attendance crisis, or the very beginnings of a company. People didn't first come to Disneyland because of its customer service track record or safety. They came because of the Intellectual Property they knew and loved and the shiny new rides!

Look on the bright side, The Beast had a great run, and the record for the longest and highest wooden rollercoasters in the world were both held by our park. The Beasts record held far longer than I imagined, with most other coaster records demolished in the 2000's, The Beast's stood. We still will have the 2nd longest, and (Depending on the status of SOB and the height of this new ride) the tallest wooden coaster.

It is definitely is not what it used to be...

You're right. I mean, it's the same height. And speed. And length. And uses the same trains. And terrain. But man, has it fallen apart.

And if you think it's an awful ride now, just wait until there's a longer wooden roller coaster millions upon millions of miles away! It'll be all but worthless!

I don't know what ride you guys have been riding, but during Halloween Haunt The Beast was kicking it pretty hard. High speeds, drops that never end, smooth as glass, the woods, the tunnels...

lol @ high speeds.... As long as those trim brakes are on there(which they always will be), The Beast will be nothing more than a really big Adventure Express.