RailRider's "California Dreamin" End of Summer Vacation

RailRider

Less than 8 months after our magical Southern California / Disneyland Trip, Trip Report Here, the family was heading back to the West Coast. My wife was assigned a travel trip at the end of August and I decided that my daughter and I would fly out at the end of of August and spend some time once again in California. This time in Northern California, mainly San Francisco. Illusions of grandure entered my head as I thought about the many things we could do in 4 days. After all if we can do both Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure in one day, there is not much I think is impossible... I have learned that if planned well almost anything can be experienced in only one day, I can relax at home. Vaccation is a verb with my family. We Do...

4 Days in the Northern California / San Francisco Area. What to do and where to start? I knew that 1 day would be spent in San Francisco and I have always wanted to see Monterey, Pebbel Beach and Carmel by the Sea, so that left me with 1 day left to plan. Napa Valley seemed like an easy choice, but then I soon discovered that Yosemite National Park was only 4 hours or so away. Yosemite is considered one of the most picturesque natural wonders in the US and has been the inspiration for Ansel Adams life work and the formation of Sierra Club. This had can't miss written all over it, but how do I figure Yosemite, San Fran, and Monterery in to such a short trip?

The answer ended up being quite simple with the discovery of Tenaya Lodge located outside the south entrance of the park, in Fish Camp. This would be our base camp for experiencing Yosemite in only 1 day. Thats right 1 day is all we could spare, I had some serious planning to do.

Now that you know where we will start our journey I will lay out the rest of our trip schedule. The trip report will more than likely be broken in to these sections as well.

Day 1 - Yosemite National Park

Day 2 - Monterey, Pebble Beach, Carmel by-the-sea

Day 3 - San Francisco

Day 4 - First flight back to Ohio

Side note:

Our second trip to California is filled with some of the most impressive images I have ever seen or taken. The magnitute of the sights is amazing in some places so please be patient as I have more than 2,000 pictures to sort through.

Also my parents were able to accompany us on this trip. They were originally scheduled to go on the SoCal / Disneyland trip, buy my Dads youngest daughter (my half sister) died minutes before he stepped on the plane in Cincinnati. This return to California was a breath of fresh air for him, but also brought back emotions from earlier in the year.

Please sit back and enjoy our journey and thanks for stopping by. First set of pictures coming sooner rather than later.

We arrived at Oakland International Airport late in the evening / early in the morning and quickly picked up our rental car (Dodge Journey, how fitting for the amazing Journey that lay ahead) and headed over to Mrs RailRider's hotel for some much needed sleep. First thought was how cold the SanFran area was at the end of August. Glad I packed some warm clothes for later in the trip.

The plan for Day 1 was to make the 4 hour drive to the South Entrance of Yosemite and check in to the Tenaya Lodge, before trecking in to the park for the day.

The drive from the coast to the park was absolutely amazing. The change of terrain in such a short span is amazing, a real testament to the geographic activity that formed California over the years. We drove through wind farms through the high plateau, the bountiful farmland, which we counted over 20 different kinds of crops, rolling pasture land, and eventually the Sierras.

The Tenaya Lodge is the closest lodging to the National Park and has a truly amazing atmosphere. We enjoyed an amazing lunch, dinner, and breakfast here and cannot wait to go back. The lodge is worth seeing even if not staying there.

Lodgesign.jpg

Lodge from the outside, credit to the Tenaya's website. I would have needed a crane to get this picture over the now mature trees.

tenaya_lodge_1.jpg

The beautiful fireplace and the grand lobby. This theme is carried throughout the resort, every bit worth the 4 diamond rating.

inside.jpg

From Tenaya we made the short trip to the South Gate of Yosemite. Yosemite National Park is one of the original National Parks and is also the inspiration for one of Americas best photographers in Ansel Adams. The park sits in the Sierra Nevada mountain range and has a terrain that goes from the valley floor to over 3,200 feet at Glacier Point. The area has comanding views of the Granite Monolith Half-Dome and El Capitan along with rolling meadows, and a grove of Giant Sequoias. A truly beautiful place that must be seen and I only hope pictures will do it justice.

Our first stop once inside the park was the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias. These trees are the largest living things on Earth and some are over 3,000 years old.

52DSC_0001334.jpg

Did I mention they were big? Notice the cars for scale.

52DSC_0001323.jpg

Big doesn't even describe the size of these trees.

52DSC_0001322.jpg

Little Miss RailRider and her Pappa.

52DSC_0001343.jpg

Mrs RailRider and Little Miss RailRider taking it all in.

52DSC_0001348.jpg

The Fallen Monarch

52DSC_0001349.jpg

A very famous picture was taken with this fallen giant. Can anyone guess the picture?

52DSC_0001331.jpg

From Mariposa Grove we headed up to Glacier Point for a breathtaking view of Yosemite. Litterally breath taking, at over 3,200 feet above the valley floor things and 7,274 above sea level Glacier Point test the lungs and your nerves for hair pin corners and steep narrow mountain road driving. Stay tuned for some amazing sites and a very photogenic squirel.

Wow just wow I have always wanted to go to Yosemite park and I love the picture of Tenaya Lodge. You mentioned that you can not wait to go back so my question for you is; if/when you go back how many days do you think would be best to for a family to plan for.

I am glad to see this report pop up and look forward to the rest.

Wow just wow I have always wanted to go to Yosemite park and I love the picture of Tenaya Lodge. You mentioned that you can not wait to go back so my question for you is; if/when you go back how many days do you think would be best to for a family to plan for.

I am glad to see this report pop up and look forward to the rest.

Much of the roadways in Yosemite become impassable during late fall through mid-late spring because of the massive snow falls. If and when we go back we will probably going in May or early June because the massive waterfals will be at peak flow because of snow melt, by late Summer the waterfalls are nothing more than a runny nose. Would without a doubt stay at Tenaya again and probably visit the park for 2-3 days 4 at the most, but honestly it is possible to see the greatest hits in 1 day. Staying more days would allow you to go to the high country or even hike to sumit of Half-Dome. Paid admission per vehicle is good for an entire week so that leaves lots of options. I could easily see a 5 day 4 night trip to Tenaya with Yosemite being the main focal point of the trip. We will visit Southern California again before going back to Yosemite.

Thanks everyone else for the coments, I hope the views from Glacier Point up today.

Glacier Point - sits over 7,200 feet above sea level and over 3,200 feet above the Valley floor. Glacier Point offers breath taking views of Half-Dome, Yosemite Valley, the various waterfalls, and the high sierra neveda mountain range. The road to Glacier Point is a steep winding path that has many hairpin corners lacking guardrails. Quite the white knuckle driving experience. The view from Glacier Point feels as if you are on top of the world. Amazing.

The initial view from Glacier Point and first glimpse of Half-Dome standing over 4,700 feet above the valley floor

52DSC_0001356.jpg

Half-Dome

52DSC_0001439.jpg

Notice the discoloration up the back of Half-Dome that is the cable hiking path during the Summer. Some day.

52DSC_0001440.jpg

Amazing!

52DSC_0001447.jpg

52DSC_0001357.jpg

The valley with ranges in the background

52DSC_0001353.jpg

52DSC_0001401.jpg

Mountain Range

52DSC_0001410.jpg

52DSC_0001409.jpg

52DSC_0001408.jpg

52DSC_0001419.jpg

Piggy Rock as its known.

52DSC_0001433.jpg

Perspective

52DSC_0001463.jpg

Postcard?

52DSC_0001421.jpg

Better Postcard?

52DSC_0001359.jpg

I like this one

52DSC_0001479.jpg

52DSC_0001476.jpg

What is she looking at?

52DSC_0001389.jpg

Now I see

52DSC_0001352.jpg

Waterfalls everywhere. Some are over 700feet tall, but the Summer months they are a mere trickle.

52DSC_0001400.jpg

52DSC_0001414.jpg

52DSC_0001358.jpg

Group Shot

52DSC_0001480.jpg

Next stop, the Tunnel View. Stay tunned.

Very nice TR so far, can't wait to see more. One of my life goals is to visit every US National Park, and I have yet to make it to Yosemite.

I was just looking through a photo slideshow on the ABC News website about hotel holiday displays, and there was a picture of Tanaya Lodge's display. Here is the link to the slideshow, and the Tanaya Lodge picture is # "14 of 32": http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/slideshow/spectacular-holiday-hotel-displays-9206647

Avatar: I know what you mean about great wide open. When we got out at Glacier Point it was so quiet, only heard the sound of the wind through the trees. Looking out over the valley and the vast mountain ranges was amazing.

Standbyme: If it makes you feel any better this was the end of August and later in the trip we are wearing long sleeves.

I hope to have the next update either today or tomorrow.

Has anyone figured out the famous picture taken with this tree yet? I know somebody in the KIC universe can do it.

52DSC_0001349.jpg

Railrider - thanks for sharing. It's been way too long since I've been to Yosemite, but your pictures remind me of how absolutely breathtakingly beautiful it is. As for the famous picture, I know I knew (and had a faint vision of something military running through my head). A quick Google search reminded me of the picture of a cavalry unit, including horses on top of the fallen tree trunk - helps you understand the sheer size!

Looking forward to the rest of the trip - thanks for sharing!

Railrider - thanks for sharing. It's been way too long since I've been to Yosemite, but your pictures remind me of how absolutely breathtakingly beautiful it is. As for the famous picture, I know I knew (and had a faint vision of something military running through my head). A quick Google search reminded me of the picture of a cavalry unit, including horses on top of the fallen tree trunk - helps you understand the sheer size!

Looking forward to the rest of the trip - thanks for sharing!

We have a winner!!! Yes it truly does show the enormity of the tree.

3b11235r.jpg

I will have a new update up shortly. I hope...

The Tunnel View.

After a long winding drive down from Glacier Point we headed towards the Yosemite Valley with a stop at "Tunnel View" planned. The travel down to the Valley floor was long and slow because the main road through Yosemite was under heavy construction were spring floods had washed much away. The improvements they say will make travel that much better through the park. The Tunnel View stop provides an amazing view in to the Yosemite Valley with the sight of El Capitan in foreground and Half Dome in the background. Truly an amazing perspective.

El Capitan on the immediate left.

52DSC_0001583.jpg

El Capitan's 3,000 foot vertical wall.

52DSC_0001511.jpg

See Half Dome in the far background?

52DSC_0001523.jpg

52DSC_0001510.jpg

52DSC_0001583.jpg

Love this shot

52DSC_0001494.jpg

52DSC_0001501.jpg

Should have been used for the family Christmas card.

52DSC_0001526.jpg

Post Card?

52DSC_0001564.jpg

Why does this picture remind me of the Griswalds?

52DSC_0001576.jpg

From the Tunnel View we decided that rather than venture down to the valley floor we were ready to go back to the lodge and relax, swim, and eat at one of the amazing resturants on site. Plus I was tired of driving sharp winding mountain roads. I had at this point logged close to 8 hours driving for the day. Plus we saw the majority of the big sites and leaving the valley left to be explored gave us reasson to come back. After an amazing day at the park and a truly relaxing evening at the lodge we were heading to Pebble Beach, Monterey, and Carmel-by-the-Sea in the morning.

Stay tunned much more to come...

RailRider, thanks for posting the old photograph of the fallen tree. (I had never seen it.) Before you posted it I thought I could grasp how huge it actually was...but after seeing all of those men and their horses standing on it I realize I was WAY off!

52DSC_0001526.jpg

You should Photoshop Spock saving Captain Kirk on the mountain in this photo & see if anyone notices. :P

Sorry all for the delayed update. Have been very busy at work getting ready for an extended Christmas break.

After our wonderful day at Yosemite we were up early the next morning for breakfast at the lodge before heading to Monterey, Pebble Beach and Carmel by the Sea. Side note (The breakfast was amazing, all local produce, meats, and dairy.) Pulling out of Tenaya we were all a little sad that our time had come to an end there, but hope to one day make it back. I cannot recomend a place to stay any more highly than Tenaya, truly in a class of its own.

The travel back to the coast was very scenic as we passed through rolling hills and abundant farm land. We counted over 20 different types of vegetables, nuts and fruits being grown through our trip back to the coast. Very neat to see.

We first arrived at Monterey and the Old Fishermans Warf (big Sardine industry here, also home to Cannery Row and the location of the John Steinbeck novel of the same name. Really neat area and the vast see of sailboats and sea life was amazing to look at. Not to mention the coastal waters were filled with thousands of Jellyfish. Almost looked as if you could walk on water there were so many.

52DSC_0001126.jpg

Old Fishermans Wharf

52DSC_0001601.jpg

52DSC_0001145.jpg

52DSC_0001158.jpg

Did I mention all the Sailboats?

52DSC_0001123.jpg

52DSC_0001613.jpg

Sardine Industry is still strong

52DSC_0001172.jpg

Thousands of these fellas in the water. No swiming today.

52DSC_000177.jpg

Cannery Row

52DSC_0001649.jpg

Harbor Seals, more to be seen in San Fran

52DSC_0001593.jpg

52DSC_0001584.jpg

Walking along the coast

52DSC_0001621.jpg

Next up is the 17 loop drive through Pacific Grove and Pebble Beach. Some breathtaking scenery and if only I would have brought my golf clubs.

Thanks for the update...once again nice photos.

It would be so cool to see seals just swimming around! It's weird...when I see them in a zoo I think "Oh look, a seal"...but if I saw one out in the ocean I would be thinking "OH WOW! Look, it's a seal!" :lol: (Go figure.)

Thanks again...and have a Merry Christmas!

Next up is the 17 loop drive through Pacific Grove and Pebble Beach. Some breathtaking scenery and if only I would have brought my golf clubs.

You might have ruined what seems to be an awesome vacation :D

Thanks for sharing some awesome pictures - they remind me of why I miss the left coast so much. Can't wait to see the pics from 17 mile drive and Pebble - there is some incredibly beautiful coastline in that part of California.

In your first post when you mentioned that it was cold in August, that made me laugh. The warmer months for the bay area is September and October, although you might get lucky in June.

Railrider, those are some amazing shots! San Francisco is my home town, and it's where I spent a good portion of my childhood. Your shots give me some serious homesickness. Did you get a chance to drive down Highway 1 along the coast from Monterey to San Francisco? Santa Cruz is along that route and I am wondering if you had a chance to stop, as it is absolutly beautiful during the summer.

Next up for the day was the 17 Mile loop road through Pebble Beach and Pacific Grove. This drive is considered one of the most scenic in the world.

Very scenic coastline. Pictures cannot fully show the beauty of this area.

52DSC_0001659.jpg

52DSC_0001693.jpg

Famous Coastline and pricy realestate

52DSC_0001694.jpg

52DSC_0001706.jpg

Lots of Cypress

52DSC_0001705.jpg

One very famous Cypress

52DSC_0001714.jpg

The Lone Cypress

52DSC_0001708.jpg

52DSC_0001723.jpg

This tree is the official logo of Pebble Beach

52DSC_0001732.jpg

This tree is over 200 years old.

52DSC_0001709.jpg

Did I mention they play golf at Pebble Beach?

52DSC_0001658.jpg

The Lodge at Pebble Beach.

52DSC_0001315.jpg

In the parking lot.

52DSC_0001311.jpg

Would love the play a round here.

52DSC_0001319.jpg

Seal Rock has lots of Seals.

52DSC_0001671.jpg

and birds.

52DSC_0001676.jpg

and is a lovely off white in color.

52DSC_0001678.jpg

insane number of seals and birds. Wonder why so many Great Whites off shore here?

52DSC_0001683.jpg

Something very peacfull about this area.

52DSC_0001727.jpg

After completing the 17 Mile loop we headed to our hotel for the evening on the outskirts of San Francisco. From the hotel we would venture out the next day in to downtown San Fran. Also this evening we made it our mission to find the nearest In-N-Out Burger. (after experiencing In-N-Out while in SoCal earlier this year I will visit one whenever close by. No burger compares.)