Lawsuits Part of the Amusement Park Business

On July 19, Dematteo filed a lawsuit claiming she fell on July 27, 2008, while leaving an ice show at Cedar Point. She missed a concrete step. Dematteo, partially disabled because of polio, sprained her right knee and had to have surgery on a torn ligament. With surgery and rehabilitation, she says she incurred $28,215 in medical expenses, plus $7,500 in other costs.

I seem to be failing to figure out why HER missing a step is CP's fault.

People will sue for very mundane things such as "tripping" on the sidewalk. Ever wonder why there are so many warning labels on things anymore? Its partly because people have sued in the past. Yes, sometimes there are tripping hazards (the start of the Adventure Express bridge, for example, which was remedied this past year). And it is a real shame that people who trip on their own accord feel the need to sue. Most are after a quick payday. It is, an unfortunate fact of today`s society. Doctor`s have to carry very hefty malpractice insurance to protect themselves from being sued, even if they did nothing wrong.

WHO: Barbara Blarek

WHAT: On Jan. 6, 2008, Blarek was walking near the children's pool when she slipped on water, causing her to fall and twist her ankle. Her lawsuit is seeking reimbursement for medical costs of about $42,000, plus lost wages. She sued Kalahari Resorts and Kalahari Management for awards in excess of $25,000 each. She also sued Blue Care Network for coverage of all medical bills relating to the incident, but the insurance provider was dismissed from suit.

STATUS: Unknown. Records in Erie County Common Pleas Court list the case as closed, although other case files indicate it's pending. Blarek's attorney did not return messages seeking comment.

How is this Kalahari's fault? It's a water park. There's bound to be water on the ground.

And suing the insurance company for coverage of all medical bills? It's common knowledge that insurance usually doesn't cover everything.

All I can say is, you would probably do the same thing if it happened to you.

I mean If you went to Kings Island, and missed a step and it caused you "partially disabled because of polio, sprained right knee and have to go in surgery for a torn ligament"

I wouldn't be surprise to see your lawsuit.

You can't really say how "pathetic" these lawsuits are until you're in their shoes.

It's not as if the step isn't there. It's there, and it's 100% HER fault for missing it.

So when you fall, and end up with those injuries and you're insurance(if you're even lucky to have Health Insurance) won't cover even half of your bill, Will you be paying out of your pocket?

Also FYI most Ligament surgery's cost anywhere from 5 to 50 grand.

...when a screw popped out, causing her to fall backwards...The plaintiff argues the defendant also failed to warn her of the dangerous condition presented by the park bench and that she could not have discovered or protected herself against that danger...

So? You think they shouldn't be responsible? Sigh.

Here would be a good lawsuit. A Columbus, Ohio man is suing the Ohio Lottery because they caused him to have a heart attack and he needed heart surgery after he won a 220 million dollar mega millions jackpot. The man, Mobile Phone said that the Ohio Lottery didn't warn him that winning such a large amount would cause such pain and suffering to him and his family. He is seeking 30 million dollars, a lifetime of instant lottery games and tickets and also wants the lottery board to now warn folks about the health risks of playing the lottery. He also wants his 220 million dollar lottery winnings in full and not have to pay any taxes because of the pain and suffering.

All I can say is, you would probably do the same thing if it happened to you.

Yes, many people would do so - still doesn't make it right. People who file frivolous lawsuits (and their lawyers) cause many problems for the rest of us, including higher costs (someone is paying for the lawyer fees and settlement costs - and it is all of us!) and less sympathy for those who truly have been wronged (see the story Dalefan linked about the bench as a potential example).

And I'll share that I must have missed my chance - my family and I never even considered filing a lawsuit following an incident at a school gym when I was younger that left me with a large scar on my arm caused by a fire extinguisher. Why? - because what happened was an accident. Now for someone else or those out for money, I'm sure the school district, the fire extinguisher manufacturer, the coach, the other player, the league, etc... would have been potential deep pockets for a suit.

Oh, really? Why then are some steps painted with high visibility yellow paint and others not?

Sorry, but the cynic in me says because of too many other frivolous lawsuits.

The funny thing is that most of the lawsuits that get filed in the courts get settled even if the person who filed the lawsuit is wrong. That is why most places like hospitals have to now pay higher medical malpractice insurance for themselfs and the doctors. The hospital i work at had a few doctors quit because they couldn't afford the medical malpractice insurance for the family health offices they ran. Start fining and charging the people who file the dumb or stupid lawsuits and they will stop filing them. That is why themeparks and hospitals get the most lawsuits. People file them no matter how dumb or stupid. And they will settle on most of them even if the lawsuit needs to be fought. You got lawyers. Use them. Lol.

I broke my thumbnail off on Drop Tower and didn't sue KI :P Just lesson learned... don't let your fingernails get too long. But it did hurt!

I know of another suit, dunno of its outcome. But lady suing the Brookfield Zoo in Chicago cause apparently she slipped in the splash zone at the dolphin show. Sue the flippered ones!? >.> buuuhhh. Welcome to America - home of the sue happy, I guess.