IOA Potterland--Crowds Now?

The holidays notwithstanding (which, of course, bring tons of people to the Orlando parks) does anyone know what the crowds at IOA for "Potterland" have been like lately? I know the reports were they were swamped over the Summer with multi-hour waits, but I was wondering how much that has died down since the grand opening?

I have a trip scheduled for early February (pre-Valentines/President's Day rushes) and was just wondering what to expect. Also, I assume that the "Forbidden Journey" is still not currently part of Universal Express, correct?

Thanks!

The holidays notwithstanding (which, of course, bring tons of people to the Orlando parks) does anyone know what the crowds at IOA for "Potterland" have been like lately? I know the reports were they were swamped over the Summer with multi-hour waits, but I was wondering how much that has died down since the grand opening?

I have a trip scheduled for early February (pre-Valentines/President's Day rushes) and was just wondering what to expect. Also, I assume that the "Forbidden Journey" is still not currently part of Universal Express, correct?

Thanks!

I'm sure they've died down quite a bit, but I definitely wouldn't sweat it for February. I went last year in January and decided to hold off on getting Universal Express until I at least tested the waters for one day to see how crowded it would be. Everything (Spiderman, Hulk, Dragons, Jurassic Park, Mummy, Simpsons, etc) had a ten minute wait at most. I'm sure Harry Potter will have a longer wait, but January - February is a fantastic time to go.

Before I left I was a little disappointed to see that the parks closed at 7:00 every evening. But when I was there and both parks were literally empty by 5:30, it made a lot of sense.

So my advice is to not pre-purchase the Universal Express Pass. When It's cheap like it will be in early February, they know you won't need it, and are just hoping to suck some last-minute cash out of people who like to do all their planning before they arrive. Of course, that being said, even when I was there, I purchased one day of two-park Universal Express for our last day so that we could go re-ride all of our favorites without bothering with those 10 - 15 minute lines for the more popular rides. As you said, it doesn't work on Harry Potter anyway, and if the line for Rockit is long (which it may be - I have no idea if it's even open right now, or if their "super fast loading walkway" is functioning yet), then you can ride it on the day you get Express. When I went, it was brand new, so we rode it at closing with about a 40 minute wait (and this is when the loading procedure was so agonizingly slow, it was ridiculous).

^ Thanks! I'm glad Potterland should be much more manageable now. I was there last January as well (late in the month) & found it a great time too. (In fact, that's why I decided to go around the same time this year--hopefully Orlando will have a warm spell then :) )

We're staying at the Royal Pacific on property, so fortunately I won't need to buy a Universal Express pass anyway.

Looks like Potter land has increased Attendance!

Harry has conjured all the magic Universal expected, and then some. In the quarter after the attraction opened, crowds at Universal parks swelled by 36 percent over the same stretch last year, while

attendance at Disney's Orlando parks stayed roughly the same.

http://www.msnbc.msn...ination_travel/

^That's what's got me a little nervous about going there this coming summer like Mrs. Gator wants to (she wants to hold off going to WDW until the Fantasyland expansion is complete in 2012). She doesn't keep up on the industry news like I do, and I've seen the stories about Potterland and it's effect on attendance. However, this quote from the article:

The hubbub at the Wizarding World didn't spill over into the other areas of Universal's two parks, where crowds were sparse and wait times for rides were no more than five or 10 minutes.
gives me a little hope that things won't be so bad... and I do know not to expect 5 to 10 minute waits in the summer! :lol:

I was there about two weeks ago today and it was at capacity all day until around 6ish. Our group got there at 10:30 and they were handing out tickets for 12:30. And when we went at 12:30 it was packed wall to wall. My friends waited 2 hours to get a wand(I decided to ride hulk again).

At least we're not into the hype of Harry Potter. I do want to ride the ride because of its innovations and see the area because of it's detail, but getting a wand to choose us, tasting butterbeer and all that other stuff holds no interest to us. I do intend on watching the HP movies before we go (I've only seen about 15 minutes of one of them) so that I can appreciate what I see in the park, so my attitude towards Pottermania may change.

Oh yes see the movies before you go Gary. I was in L.A. about 6 months afer the first movie was released on DVD and went on a studio tour at WB. They had, and hear they still have a room they take you in full of HP props, costumes, and sorting hat ceremony, but I had no idea what I was looking at or cared at the time. Really wish I had seen the movie before hand, I would have enjoyed and appreciated it much more! Hope you have a great time and want a full PTR when you get back!

I was there about two weeks ago today and it was at capacity all day until around 6ish. Our group got there at 10:30 and they were handing out tickets for 12:30. And when we went at 12:30 it was packed wall to wall. My friends waited 2 hours to get a wand(I decided to ride hulk again).

Thanksgiving week was mobbed, first time the area has been at capacity in quite a while. We stopped by one evening last week however and waited 10 minutes for Forbidden Journey. I know crowds have been light this week as well, even at Disney. We walked right onto Space Mountain last night! I definitely wouldn't sweat crowds in February, jzarley. Its nice that you'll have Express Passes, but honestly during that time of year they aren't as beneficial because the standby lines are frequently 10 minutes or less. In any event, Express Passes are currently not valid for use at Harry Potter & The Forbidden Journey.....or Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit for that matter.

- Todd