Old Rides Questions

derbeast

The Flying Dutchman was a ride that was located where the enterance to Adventure Express is now located. It was a ride similar to the Zephyer, but instead of riding in swinging seats you would ride in giant wooden shoes. I often refered to it as the wooden shoe ride growing up, because I did not know the real name. As a little bit of trivia, I do believe that the ride is actually operating still at a different park.....which park......Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom. It was removed after the 1990 season and sold to the former owners of Kentucky Kingdom.

here are some pictures of the ride in operation at SFKK

Flying Dutchman

What was the ride called "Der spinnin keggers"?

What type of ride was it?

Because thats what the park named it. From what i can tell from pictures and video the ride consisted of several big kegs that sat a few people, hand went around a turntable weaving in and out of each other.

I do believe that SFKK`s Flying Dutchman is in fact the model that used to operate at PKI. Flying Dutchman opened at PKI back in 1973, along with the Bayern Kerve, Kenton`s Cove Keelboat Canal and the International Restaurant. So opening day for SFKK is the last weekend in March? I was wandering when they opened, as that just happens to be my last weekend of spring break, and what a great way to end spring break! (Their website doesn`t list their 2004 operating calendar, or at least it didn`t when i checked it last week.)

Did KI ever have a ride like the Electric Rainbow at Americana? But from what I have heard, it didnt go up in the air, just around in a very fast circle and the floor would drop out. Any ideas? And what was The smurf ride called before it had smurfs in it?

Bill

Good questions bwware! I believe that you are refering to the Round-up at Americana? If so, then yes, PKI did have a round-up. I believe that it was located near the end of Coney Mall, which ended right by Antique Treats and the antique cars, it never originally extended back by The Vortex and Flying Eagles until 1982 maybe? Anyhow, I don`t know when they removed it. If you live in Cincinnati and still want to experience a Round-Up, Coney Island has a Super Round-Up located almost in the center of the rides portion of the park. Incidentally, Coney had to rebuild the Round-Up in the middle of this past season because of a hirline crack in a part. The ride was down for about three weeks, but later reopened. Funny thing was guests would ask if the ride would be opening that day when it sat in pieced in the grass!

The round up and the Electric rainbow are pretty much the same....the round up is a little smaller. I remember seeing it in pieces when I visited there last season. That is one of my fav rides so I was a little bummed to find it broken down (and no, I was NOT the person that asked if it would open later in the day!) What I am thinking of spun around like the round up, but never left the ground, and the floor just dropped of because you were stuck to the side. I think I might be losing my mind maybe?