What could really put Kings Island on the Map

diamondback1

And then there's the whole issue of Superman....if that's a coaster, the launch is.....vertical...but then isn't that also the case with TTD and Ka? I really don't understand these hypertechnical distinctions the park going public couldn't care less about.

True. And the Mr. Freeze's have LIMs on their vertical spikes, which I think are to get the train a little further up the spike, right (or are they to slow it)?

2va2nqsp57lc039s0qn000.jpg

Another vertical launch proper!

And the Mr. Freeze's have LIMs on their vertical spikes, which I think are to get the train a little further up the spike, right (or are they to slow it)?

They are to pull the train further up the spike. It's the same effect as the second lift on Invertigo or any other Vekoma Boomerang, inverted or not. The train itself will not have enough potential energy to make the return trip, so the lift pulls it up to the original height and releases. Launching too quickly and using the LIMs to slow the train would, as an uneducated guess, be a hazard in the case of an electral blackout during a cycle.

On that note... Are there any LIMs on the vertical (as in, after the initial, horizontal second launch) part of the second launch on Volcano? I'm just curious.

^^ Ah, okay. Thanks, Terp. The conversation about Volcano just before my post was a little confusing- I wasn't sure if, by 'vertical launch,' you two were referring to a launch like Top Thrill Dragster or, like you said, like Superman, if that's considered a coaster. Like you said, the distinction doesn't matter too much in the long run. I just wasn't sure which one you referring to at the time. :)

I don't think that rides are the only things that could put Kings Island on the map, assuming it is presently not on the map...

Good point! Some of the most well-known parks in the world achieved that status through things other than roller coasters. And in my opinion, some of the best parks in the world have one or two great ones, if they have any at all!

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but did Will Koch not want the Voyage to have a loop in it, the Gravity Group said no.

To my knowledge, Will Koch did not want Voyage to have a loop in it. If he had, and Gravity Group would not do it, knowing Will Koch, he would have found someone who would have done it...

I trust you, just thought someone had found an article in German, and when translated into English it talked about how the Voyage at Holiday World was designed to have a loop in it, after President Will Koch rode Son of Beast and thought they could do better.

I did find a article in German and when I translated it, they talked about Voyage planning to have a corkscrew... I'll have to ask my Swiss friend to find it for me again, lol.

I don't think that rides are the only things that could put Kings Island on the map, assuming it is presently not on the map...

Good point! Some of the most well-known parks in the world achieved that status through things other than roller coasters. And in my opinion, some of the best parks in the world have one or two great ones, if they have any at all!

I can only go on what others say and old pictures and such, but it seems like there were lots of different things that initially contributed to KI's alleged "on the map" status.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but did Will Koch not want the Voyage to have a loop in it, the Gravity Group said no.

To my knowledge, Will Koch did not want Voyage to have a loop in it. If he had, and Gravity Group would not do it, knowing Will Koch, he would have found someone who would have done it...

I trust you, just thought someone had found an article in German, and when translated into English it talked about how the Voyage at Holiday World was designed to have a loop in it, after President Will Koch rode Son of Beast and thought they could do better.

http://www.coastersa...ge/voyage.shtml

Site has some cool pictures! It's a good article, might wanna translate it and read through it.

Translated:

Chad Miller was also an engineer for the fruitful cooperation, the best starting point, every inch of the wood (rail) to celebrate lindwurm normal. Even after the publication of the plans in the summer of 2005 the web at various sites was altered. Other characters have it but not make it into the crazy layout of The Voyage, "The thought looping it has yet to figure - a corkscrew - has not been realized, but exceeded all our expectations Voyage, " says Paula Werne.

http://www.coastersa...ge/voyage.shtml

Site has some cool pictures! It's a good article, might wanna translate it and read through it.

Translated:

Chad Miller was also an engineer for the fruitful cooperation, the best starting point, every inch of the wood (rail) to celebrate lindwurm normal. Even after the publication of the plans in the summer of 2005 the web at various sites was altered. Other characters have it but not make it into the crazy layout of The Voyage, "The thought looping it has yet to figure - a corkscrew - has not been realized, but exceeded all our expectations Voyage, " says Paula Werne.

You can use Google to translate pretty much anything on the web. It was interesting, even though the Google English can be jumbly. Here is an English link:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A//www.coastersandmore.de/rides/voyage/voyage.shtml&hl=en&langpair=auto|en&tbb=1&ie=ISO-8859-1

Ello and Merry Christmas everyone!! I'm a new member on this forum and excited to have discussion(when I'm not busy servicing this industry) with great fans of this beautiful park and the equipment it takes to entertain guests in this great country of ours. I will keep controversial opinions to myself and rather admire all thoughts as a conosseur carefully(unless asked to be involved). Speaking from a fans point of view, I relish the parks' ambitious direction to add these spectacularly beautiful coasters and steel to continue to impress the publics' need for new and updated fads/interests. If I could see a piece(or two) to help put the park in a vintage friendly marketing standpoint, I would choose a classic ride for the nostalgic afficionados in some of us. The "baby-boomers" are all grandparents now and will be the ones (if not already) slowing down moreso to ride carousels, trains and other child hood favorites. They were the ones who liked the Halloween holiday soooo much so that they single handedly made it the second largest commercial holiday behind Christmas. With that being said, I'd LOVE for them to find , restore and install a good old fashione dark ride to scare the bejabbers out of the wanting public. It would be a great ride to market from many angles including the fact that they have everything else besides. When so many parks have shuttered, removed and/or junked their rides turning to the high-tech formats, everyone of those babyboomers AND their following 2 generations I've spoken with agree that the new rides(as great as some are) cannot really compete with some of those older scares and if built with the right facade and served up with a proper theme, would serve KI ten fold outside of a loading capacity. When you have a general admission though, you don't worry about capacity as much as bragging rights of a vintage classic such as a Pretzel dark ride!! I've been interested in this rather dead topic for quite some time however the people over at Laffinthedark.com agree with me 100%. I've recently completed 2/3rd's of Camden Parks old Haunted House gravity Pretzel(installed in 1960) and I've been notified that it really sells and belongs more at a place such as KI. Any thoughts?

Thank you for the warm welcome! I understand the politics involved in these large parks as I am found in corp. meetings w blueprints in hand debating limitations/expectations etc. It's too bad that parks don't follow the Kennywood rule but even they have struck against their own structure and(by inside mouths)woefully regret parts of their decisions. I was just verbalizing a romantic sense of business for KI that nostalgia buffs would appreciate.However, there is a large , beautiful park willing to bet with me (and they have handed over to me a cash deposit for a very large renovation due before may 5th 2011) on a Pretzel ride (politics being what they are I'm not allowed to disclose who this is yet) that will dwarf the Camden renovation. I've already finished several of the large scale stunts and my sound man is making the theme this week based on our huge inventory of effects.By the way, I'm sure the paint is still drying on phase 2 at Camden,lol,you've seen the photos of that Pretzel I take it. Thank you for such a favorable compliment and phase 3 is sure to be a handful of surprises inside and out! Merry Christmas to all of you!!

I've done a lot more than seen the photos! :) You did incredible work and it is very much appreciated by the park and its patrons. That place needed a lift...and your renovation there was superb...as for the large park, wherever it is, I hope to be there! Pretzels are wonderful! :) And I've always liked that large...uh... :)