action theater

son of beast214

if you look at the most recent Wind Seeker pics you see some things removed in front of the action theater and i was wondering if this means it will be closed up for good? or some big changes?

Due to the placement of WindSeeker, the entrance and exit will almost certainly have to be diverted from their current location. Many here noticed that it was removed from the official website a few months ago, though an administrator here who is in direct contact with the park has assured us that it is not being closed for the 2011 season.

That being said, it's removal from the website seems to indicate (to me at least) that it's changing (perhaps a new ride film), though I certainly don't know for sure. I just can't imagine any other reason that it would be deleted from the site if it will be open next season. We shall see!

if you look at the most recent Wind Seeker pics you see some things removed in front of the action theater and i was wondering if this means it will be closed up for good? or some big changes?

Due to the placement of WindSeeker, the entrance and exit will almost certainly have to be diverted from their current location. Many here noticed that it was removed from the official website a few months ago, though an administrator here who is in direct contact with the park has assured us that it is not being closed for the 2011 season.

That being said, it's removal from the website seems to indicate (to me at least) that it's changing (perhaps a new ride film), though I certainly don't know for sure. I just can't imagine any other reason that it would be deleted from the site if it will be open next season. We shall see!

If you're referring to the same post I read, that was on November 23, and said there were no plans to close it. On November 23. I suppose that means they could have decided to close it on November 24, or later.

Not that you're splitting hairs or anything. :rolleyes:

No doubt, wouldn't be the first time. :rolleyes:

However, the wording in Ryan's post struck me as a little odd.

I have just been informed that there are no plans to close Action Theatre for the 2011 season.

Why not say that Action Theater will be open for 2011? Or that the park has not closed Action Theater? But, to say there are no plans to close it for the 2011 season seems to allow the park for some wiggle room.

If I had a store that I really wanted people to visit, and was asked if it was open, I would shout "Yes!!". It would seem a little vague to say "there are no plans to close it for the next week".

^ The wording, to me, seems pretty industry-standard. Can we guarantee that Diamondback will be operating for the 2011 season? Nope. But there are no plans to close it. Budgets diverge, things change, and priorities get rearranged. That has to be taken into account when information is shared between a business and its fans / clientele. If Diamondback's trains are recalled due to an across-the-board safety hazard, or its electrical systems fried by a lightning strike April 29th, 2011, then what happens to the park who promised via an official platform like Facebook that it "would operate in 2011," and sold season passes based on that promise?

Kings Island has also made a comment on their facebook on post, replying to a user comment saying

Kings Island ‎@Tanya - no rides or attractions are being removed to make room for WindSeeker.

But maybe it's not being removed for WindSeeker; maybe it's being removed for a restroom!

These are the things that we must point out, lest our conspiracy-theorist reputations might be lost!

By the way, Action Theater would not have to be removed to make room for WindSeeker.

And the Flying Eagles did not have to be removed to make room for The Italian Job: Stunt Track. In reality, it seems they were removed to make way for a 3-Point Challenge midway game.

It's really impossible to figure out what the park's intentions are vs. what the reality of the situation is vs. what the park says to us. We can just take them at their word (or not) and they will do exactly what they said (or not). What else is there that we can do? We'll see Action Theater come April 2011. Or not. And hopefully, the new website will be updated with a park map and a listing for the Action Theater long before then.

Typically, amusement parks are not in the business of misdirection. There are secrets and surprises and innovation around every corner, and some things can't be said some times, but not everything is a clever play on words, or an attempt to stir the pot. They need the wiggle room you spoke of, because it's a very slippery, wiggly industry.

Simply was stating that AT was not going to be removed. Which would be a big change, as the OP asked in part of their question.

Highly doubt that the park would remove AT for a restroom.....since there are already restrooms at that end of Coney Mall.

But yes, these are the things we must point out, maybe AT will be removed for a sit down restaurant...hmm?

I'd agree it was kind of standard business to fan jargin.

And I have no doubt that this is just another instance where, if Mr. Helbig visited this site, he would be absolutely flabbergasted at the way that people can pick apart a sentence. My goodness, the ways that such simple words can be rearranged, reconsidered, and understood differently!

The man could say "Diamondback is being repainted green in 2011" and by the end of the week, people here would feel sure that it was closing, getting a new name, being painted purple, getting new trains, and that The Beast was having an extra helix added to retain its record as the longest wooden roller coaster in the world.

"There are no plans to close Action Theater next year."

1. As far as Mr. Helbig is concerned, that may be true. PR folks are sometimes among the last to know.

2. They wouldn't have to "close" it in 2011 if it never opens in 2011.

Just sayin'.

And I have no doubt that this is just another instance where, if Mr. Helbig visited this site, he would be absolutely flabbergasted at the way that people can pick apart a sentence. My goodness, the ways that such simple words can be rearranged, reconsidered, and understood differently!

Official statements are worded they way that they are, for very specific reasons. It's often just as important to read what they don't say in addition to what they do say.

Which is exactly why a repainted Diamondback is irrefutable evidence that it's going to be purple and renamed Reptile Cage.

I say again that deceit is not the goal. Things are worded carefully, yes. That's what I mentioned with the "no plans to close it" as opposed to "it will be open." But nitpicking about how they "wouldn't have to "close" it in 2011 if it never opens in 2011," or "said there were no plans to close it. On November 23. I suppose that means they could have decided to close it on November 24, or later." That's paranoid conspiracy talk.

In the same discussion as the one where the park said there were no plans to close Action Theater, someone here asked something along the lines of "What does the park think when you come to them with these outlandish rumors that start and then perpetuate from very simple, benign origins?" It's a good question! The park tries their best to keep us informed by saying that there are no plans to close Action Theater in 2011, and our first instinct is to decipher all the ways in which they are lying, wrong, trying to cover their own butts, being cryptic, dropping hints, and deceiving us. Maybe they meant exactly what they said: that there were no plans at that time to close Action Theater.

Most people here don't even like Action Theater!

This is just what the off-season has reduced us to, I suppose. No harm in that.

And the Flying Eagles did not have to be removed to make room for The Italian Job: Stunt Track. In reality, it seems they were removed to make way for a 3-Point Challenge midway game....

A perfect example of the fallacious thinking called "After this, because of this." Yes, the Flying Eagles were removed. Yes, after that the Three Point Challenge was installed. But in no way whatsoever can it be correctly said the Flying Eagles were removed so that the Three Point Challenge could be installed. Very little could be further from the truth.

Terp, who makes his living...interpreting...and writing artful statements....

Which is exactly why a repainted Diamondback is irrefutable evidence that it's going to be purple and renamed Reptile Cage.

I say again that deceit is not the goal. Things are worded carefully, yes. That's what I mentioned with the "no plans to close it" as opposed to "it will be open." But nitpicking about how they "wouldn't have to "close" it in 2011 if it never opens in 2011," or "said there were no plans to close it. On November 23. I suppose that means they could have decided to close it on November 24, or later." That's paranoid conspiracy talk.

In the same discussion as the one where the park said there were no plans to close Action Theater, someone here asked something along the lines of "What does the park think when you come to them with these outlandish rumors that start and then perpetuate from very simple, benign origins?" It's a good question! The park tries their best to keep us informed by saying that there are no plans to close Action Theater in 2011, and our first instinct is to decipher all the ways in which they are lying, wrong, trying to cover their own butts, being cryptic, dropping hints, and deceiving us. Maybe they meant exactly what they said: that there were no plans at that time to close Action Theater.

Eh... I'm not saying Action Theater isn't opening next year, and I'm not some tin-foil-hat-wearing paranoid conspiracy theorist.

I minored in Public Relations. Things are said they way they're said for a reason.

I'm sure they're looking at how many people rode AT in 2010, and how much it cost to keep the attraction running.

All I'm pointing out is that the park's official comment on AT doesn't convince me.

Without making definitive statements, it should also be noted that Action Theater really isn't the type of attraction that Cedar Fair has itself installed in the past...and isn't the type of attraction that seems to fit their idea of a model amusement park...

Terp, just sayin' (Note also what they have done and not done with that attraction since acquiring Paramount Parks on June 30, 2006...)

Who are you calling paranoid? I don't think that when two people disagree about something one of them has to be paranoid, or a conspiracy theorist.

As a matter of fact, I have been visiting Action Theatre since it opened, but no so much in the last few years, and I think it would be a shame to see it close.

Without making definitive statements, it should also be noted that Action Theater really isn't the type of attraction that Cedar Fair has itself installed in the past...and isn't the type of attraction that seems to fit their idea of a model amusement park...

Terp, just sayin' (Note also what they have done and not done with that attraction since acquiring Paramount Parks on June 30, 2006...)

And also remember that there were "discussions" as to Action Theater's status before the 2010 season began.

It is also the type of attraction that does have value in the resale market...if it isn't maximizing value in its current usage (already reduced due to one side being used solely for Halloween Haunt these days), why not monetize it?

Or, use the hardware as "spares" for other parks with the same setup, especially if another park's iteration is more popular.

The building isn't visible from many ground-level guest areas, so it would be easy to gut the other half, send the seats and projector to another park, and let the shell wait there for another purpose.

Yeah, Spongebob is great....I'm ready for a new movie. I think its long over due and previous movies that were housed in AT didn't stay as long as Spongebob has.

I stopped going to see Spongebob this past season because I've watched it multiple times every season since it opened in 2003. Of course AT isn't the average thrill seeker's ultimate ride. Wouldn't that be a site to see.....constant regulars in line for AT, running around from the exit to the entrance for a re-ride.