Cedar Point Tips

UPDATE: Ignore previous update, trip is now back on. Topic name will however stay the same.

OK, here's the deal: me and my "family" (my mom, friend, and his dad) are planning a trip to Cedar Point sometime in 2011. As you may know, I have never been and thus could use a little "pre-trip" advice and knowledge. Here's my questions:

QUESTION #1:

Is a weekday in May a good time to visit? If so, what weekdays are best? We are visiting for 2 days since CP is...well...huge. At least, it looks huge from the pictures I've seen.

QUESTION #2:

Most important question here. We are staying for 2 days, as stated above. Thus, we'll need some kind of place to stay. We have tents and have considered camping due to its affordability, but would not rule out a reasonably priced hotel. Note: reasonably priced means under $100 per night, etc. Any tips on good, affordable campsites and hotels?

And that's pretty much it. Any other general CP advice, like, "do this first, then..." or "ride Magnum XL-200 from seat 5-1..." and stuff like that is also very much welcome. Also note, Season Passes are great but not an option here, in case anyone was going to leave that tip, Any "wait times" would also be welcome, in particular for these attractions:

All Roller Coasters (OK, perhaps not the kiddie ones I'll have no interest in...)

maXair, Power Tower, Skyhawk, Wind Seeker, thrill rides, etc etc...

Thanks for all advice.

PS: This may be a bit early but...oh well, more time to plan & prepare! BWA HA HA!!!

(McSalsa is spotted running away with his Beam O' Mass doom!):lol:

• Like 1

Already done. I know that KI goes to weekend only operations the last week of August but CP doesn't until after Labor Day. I'm not too worried about it as we are spending two days in each park, plus when I went to KI this last year, I went on the Saturday of Freedom Fest and got all the coasters and rides that I wanted to done plus spend a few hours in BB and still had breathing room.

May can be a dangerous time at the point, Field Trips make it unbearable, I've been there on a Saturday with field trips going on and I waited over an hour to ride the Witches Wheel (Skylab) usually a 10 minute or less wait. Sunday however was great, They are open weekdays starting May 16, but only till 8 O'clock, but as I said when I ran into field trips in may it was worse than Math & Science days at KI and they didn't leave that early, but perhaps I just had bad luck, I find early June after school is out, during the weekdays to be the best.

Remember in late august to check operation calenders, as many parks go to weekend only at that time.

Also remember to check the calendars again as you get closer and closer to your trip. Parks can and do change calendars many times during a season...sometimes adding hours/days, sometimes taking them away...This was particularly true of Six Flags last year...when many parks found hours and days disappearing from the operating schedule....

• 1 month later...

OK, I've gone through the threads linked above and tried the search function (though I know from experience that I fail at searching forever :P), and I'm left with a couple of unanswered questions.

1. How deep is the water on the water slides and other attractions in Soak City? Cedar Point's website doesn't list water depth like KI's website does. I enjoy waterparks, but I don't trust my very limited swimming skills enough to go out in water over five feet deep without a life jacket. (And don't tell me to take swimming lessons; I've done that before with little success.)

2. I've seen a lot of discussion saying that you should go for two days in order to get all of the rides in the main park in without being rushed. However, I'm interested in experiencing everything in Challenge Park and Soak City (excluding any attractions where the water is over 5' deep and where I can't wear a lifejacket) as well, plus I may rent a jet ski for a little bit if I can come up with the money to do so. How many days should I allow for all of this? If I do go up to CP (which isn't finalized yet), I will upgrade my KI Gold Pass to Platinum, so I can take advantage of ERTs and not worry about admission costs. The plan would be to leave the Dayton area on the morning of Day 1 and arrive at CP early afternoon, then on the last day, I would leave CP early- to mid-afternoon so I could return home by early evening that day (essentially, the first and last days would only be half days) I'm thinking three or four days should be enough, but I'd like outside input on it as well.

Thanks in advance.

I believe all of the slides have waste high water, also keep in mind that Soak City charges a seperate admission charge. If you get there when it opens you can ride each slide multiple times with little or no wait for the first few hours of operations. Soak City is lots of fun, enjoy!

I believe all of the slides have waste high water, also keep in mind that Soak City charges a seperate admission charge. If you get there when it opens you can ride each slide multiple times with little or no wait for the first few hours of operations. Soak City is lots of fun, enjoy!

I really don't want to swim in wastewater—oh, you mean WAIST-high water! ;) (I always find it amazing how a minor spelling error can completely change the meaning of something.) Thanks. And I'm not concerned about the separate admission charge; as I said, I would have a Platinum Pass if I do go up there.

If your going on a weekend in May, make sure its not Memorial Day!!

I'm actually thinking about mid- to late June.

I really don't want to swim in wastewater—oh, you mean WAIST-high water! ;) (I always find it amazing how a minor spelling error can completely change the meaning of something.) Thanks. And I'm not concerned about the separate admission charge; as I said, I would have a Platinum Pass if I do go up there.

If your going on a weekend in May, make sure its not Memorial Day!!

I'm actually thinking about mid- to late June.

Mid to late June is my favorite time to visit Cedar Point!

It's good to hear that you would have a Platinum Pass. This will give you early rides (ERT) on Raptor, Millennium Force, Maverick, and Iron Dragon (provided that the park doesn't change these).

My suggestions:

- Stay multiple days. 2 is minimum to fully experience it for the first time.

- Staying in a resort isn't a requirement since you have a Platinum Pass. The main benefit to staying in a resort is that you get into the park an hour early and get the opportunity to ride the rides mentioned above before the general public is let in, but if you have a pass then staying on site isn't needed for this. However, if you want to stay close to the park, the Hotel Breakers is nice. If you don't want to stay in a resort, then I highly recommend the EconoLodge on Cleveland Road. It's only a 2 minute drive to the park.

- Hit Millennium Force and Maverick during ERT, then run over to Top Thrill Dragster right before the park opens to insure that you get a ride without much waiting. If you DO get a ride on Raptor during ERT, make sure that you get a ride in the front seat. A front seat ride later in the day can cost you another 15 minutes of waiting, but it's usually a walk on if you get there right as the gates open an hour early.

- The back of the park usually isn't very crowded early on in the day. The same is true for the front in the park later in the day. The majority of crowds start near the front and work their way back.

- Maverick, Millennium Force, and Top Thrill Dragster will have long lines all day.

- As long as you are in Sandusky, EAT SOME PERCH!

It's good to hear that you would have a Platinum Pass. This will give you early rides (ERT) on Raptor, Millennium Force, Maverick, and Iron Dragon (provided that the park doesn't change these).

Remember to select which ride to go to first to decide what gate, Main (Raptor), Marina (MF and ID), Resort/Soak City/Magnum (Maverick), Beach (WindSeeker). On the first day I suggest either Main or Resort as they have GR centers in case your pass doesnt scan.

the EconoLodge on Cleveland Road. It's only a 2 minute drive to the park.

Remember the Speed limit on both causeways is 35 MPH, The location you established is 8 minutes from the park.

Or some Walleye!

Mid to late June is my favorite time to visit Cedar Point!

My suggestions:

- Stay multiple days. 2 is minimum to fully experience it for the first time.

Does that recommendation take into account Challenge Park and Soak City as well? As stated in post #12 above, I'm interested in those areas as well. It seems to me that I would need 3 or 4 days to cover those areas as well.

- Staying in a resort isn't a requirement since you have a Platinum Pass. The main benefit to staying in a resort is that you get into the park an hour early and get the opportunity to ride the rides mentioned above before the general public is let in, but if you have a pass then staying on site isn't needed for this. However, if you want to stay close to the park, the Hotel Breakers is nice. If you don't want to stay in a resort, then I highly recommend the EconoLodge on Cleveland Road. It's only a 2 minute drive to the park.

I haven't decided yet whether I'll stay on site or not yet. I'll look into both.

- Hit Millennium Force and Maverick during ERT, then run over to Top Thrill Dragster right before the park opens to insure that you get a ride without much waiting. If you DO get a ride on Raptor during ERT, make sure that you get a ride in the front seat. A front seat ride later in the day can cost you another 15 minutes of waiting, but it's usually a walk on if you get there right as the gates open an hour early.

Raptor in the front seat; got it. Any other seat recommendations on other coasters (besides front seat on TTD)?

- The back of the park usually isn't very crowded early on in the day. The same is true for the front in the park later in the day. The majority of crowds start near the front and work their way back.

- Maverick, Millennium Force, and Top Thrill Dragster will have long lines all day.

Noted.

Not a big fan of fish except for the occasional meal at Long John Silver's, but I'll try to remember that.

Remember to select which ride to go to first to decide what gate, Main (Raptor), Marina (MF and ID), Resort/Soak City/Magnum (Maverick), Beach (WindSeeker). On the first day I suggest either Main or Resort as they have GR centers in case your pass doesnt scan.

Noted also.

Thanks for the tips, everyone! Keep 'em coming!

Wow, didn't think this thread would fire up like this yet again, but I'm pretty glad it did. As the guy before me, jcgoble3, already stated...keep the tips coming!;)

McSalsa, whom hopes that this CP trip doesn't crumble apart like the last one and that 2011 can surpass 2010, which was a great year for me as a coaster lover!

A half a day in Soak City is about right. It's usually crowded after lunchtime, but the lines aren't usually super long. Remember that Challenge Park isn't included with the Platinum Pass, you buy tickets for each ride separately.

How long should you stay if you plan on hitting all three parks? It really depends on the person. I could see someone spending a week at a resort and having a good time every single day. Like I said, 2-3 full days is what I recommend for the regular park. That will give you enough time to get in all of the Millennium Force, Raptor, and Maverick rides in during your early ride session. It will also give you enough time to check out some of the smaller things, like the museum in Frontier Town and Paddlewheel Excursions.

My annual trip is Monday and Tuesday in mid-June. This makes a big difference in crowds. Weekends are typically crowded all year, but weekdays are typically pretty moderate unless it's in the middle of July or early August.

Front Seat on Millennium Force will be an extra 15-20 minute wait (even during the early ride session that you get in the morning), but it's well worth trying on one of your days. The front seat on Millennium Force is my personal favorite ride in the park.

Also, if you plan on riding Magnum, the best rides are in the middle of each car on the train (rows 2, 5, and 8) and the same goes for Gemini.

The front row of the second car on Millennium Force is also something special, as is the front seat of the back car...

Terp, who is known for first widely spilling the beans about Vortex's 5-1, and is forever in the debt to a certain member of this site for steering him to the front row on Maverick (thank goodness...from one of the most boring coasters I have ever ridden to my favorite coaster...Yes, where you sit makes a HUGE difference).

Where to sit

Middle rows of any "car" .... ex car one, row 2.... car two row 2.... car 3 row 2... this rule can be applied to all attractions with 3 row cars, Beast, Racer, Gemini, Magnum, Bluestreak.

If you ride in a "3rd wheel" as I like to call them be ready for a very bumpy ride especially on Beast.

For a ride like Mean Streak ride in the very front no matter what.

Maverick is a completely different ride in the front try your best to ride there, you'll be glad you did.

Toward front on Mantis, Raptor.

Toward Back on Wicked Twister, Corkscrew.

On Corkscrew, Vortex, Iron Dragon, Topgun, Mine ride, ride in the front of any car you'll have much more leg room and smoother ride.

How much is it to upgrade a Kings Island Gold Pass to a Platinum Pass?

$60-ish I believe.

No....it's the current cost of a Platinum Pass minus what you actually paid for the pass you have. It also can ONLY be done at the park where you purchased the pass, nowhere else. Or so it has been to date.

Two years ago I purchased a gold pass online from KI and then upgraded to platinum at CP. I'm glad it worked out that way, but it was an anxious wait for the office to open up in time so I could make it to ERT though.

edit: Some of my personal favorites:

Maverick - Front row, this is a must.

MF - Last row

Magnum - 2nd row first car, I believe people on here call it the "ejector seat".

Raptor - 1st row unless its night time lol

Cedar Fair Downs - The horse with orange on it.

Blue Streak - 2nd to Last Row

Gemini - Last Row

Mean Streak - Don't ride it lol

Also make sure you try out these flats: Skyhawk, Power Tower side that launches, Max Air.

In Soak City the Plunge slide is the bomb!

Everything up to this point has been noted. I've got a Word document set up to act as a notebook for this kind of stuff.

I think all of my questions have been answered for now, though I may have more as June gets closer (and as I determine whether I'll actually have the money to afford the trip, which isn't 100% certain yet).

How much is it to upgrade a Kings Island Gold Pass to a Platinum Pass?

$60-ish I believe.

No....it's the current cost of a Platinum Pass minus what you actually paid for the pass you have. It also can ONLY be done at the park where you purchased the pass, nowhere else. Or so it has been to date.

Two years ago I purchased a gold pass online from KI and then upgraded to platinum at CP. I'm glad it worked out that way, but it was an anxious wait for the office to open up in time so I could make it to ERT though.

edit: Some of my personal favorites:

Maverick - Front row, this is a must.

MF - Last row

Magnum - 2nd row first car, I believe people on here call it the "ejector seat".

Raptor - 1st row unless its night time lol

Cedar Fair Downs - The horse with orange on it.

Blue Streak - 2nd to Last Row

Gemini - Last Row

Mean Streak - Don't ride it lol

Also make sure you try out these flats: Skyhawk, Power Tower side that launches, Max Air.

In Soak City the Plunge slide is the bomb!

magnum's ejector seat is first car, third row. very painful it is. And I agree with you, 1-2 is a very good seat. Nice air and no pain.

OK, here's the deal: me and my "family" (my mom, friend, and his dad) are planning a trip to Cedar Point sometime in 2011. As you may know, I have never been and thus could use a little "pre-trip" advice and knowledge. Here's my questions:

QUESTION #1:

Is a weekday in May a good time to visit? If so, what weekdays are best? We are visiting for 2 days since CP is...well...huge. At least, it looks huge from the pictures I've seen.

QUESTION #2:

Most important question here. We are staying for 2 days, as stated above. Thus, we'll need some kind of place to stay. We have tents and have considered camping due to its affordability, but would not rule out a reasonably priced hotel. Note: reasonably priced means under $100 per night, etc. Any tips on good, affordable campsites and hotels?

And that's pretty much it. Any other general CP advice, like, "do this first, then..." or "ride Magnum XL-200 from seat 5-1..." and stuff like that is also very much welcome. Also note, Season Passes are great but not an option here, in case anyone was going to leave that tip, Any "wait times" would also be welcome, in particular for these attractions:

All Roller Coasters (OK, perhaps not the kiddie ones I'll have no interest in...)

maXair, Power Tower, Skyhawk, Wind Seeker, thrill rides, etc etc...

Thanks for all advice.

PS: This may be a bit early but...oh well, more time to plan & prepare! BWA HA HA!!!

(McSalsa is spotted running away with his Beam O' Mass doom!):lol:

Have you decided what you be staying at? Just one minor thing about the tents, they aren't allowed in either Camper Village or Lighthouse Point. LP though, there are the cabins. One nice thing about staying on property no traffic on the causeway ;)