Cedar Point Tips

OK, here's the deal: me and my "family" (my mom, friend, and his dad) are planning a trip to Cedar Point sometime in 2011. As you may know, I have never been and thus could use a little "pre-trip" advice and knowledge. Here's my questions:

QUESTION #1:

Is a weekday in May a good time to visit? If so, what weekdays are best? We are visiting for 2 days since CP is...well...huge. At least, it looks huge from the pictures I've seen.

QUESTION #2:

Most important question here. We are staying for 2 days, as stated above. Thus, we'll need some kind of place to stay. We have tents and have considered camping due to its affordability, but would not rule out a reasonably priced hotel. Note: reasonably priced means under $100 per night, etc. Any tips on good, affordable campsites and hotels?

And that's pretty much it. Any other general CP advice, like, "do this first, then..." or "ride Magnum XL-200 from seat 5-1..." and stuff like that is also very much welcome. Also note, Season Passes are great but not an option here, in case anyone was going to leave that tip, Any "wait times" would also be welcome, in particular for these attractions:

All Roller Coasters (OK, perhaps not the kiddie ones I'll have no interest in...)

maXair, Power Tower, Skyhawk, Wind Seeker, thrill rides, etc etc...

Thanks for all advice.

PS: This may be a bit early but...oh well, more time to plan & prepare! BWA HA HA!!!

(McSalsa is spotted running away with his Beam O' Mass doom!):lol:

Have you decided what you be staying at? Just one minor thing about the tents, they aren't allowed in either Camper Village or Lighthouse Point. LP though, there are the cabins. One nice thing about staying on property no traffic on the causeway ;)

Actually no, but it probably (and sadly) won't be on-site because that would take more money than we have. Although a LOT can change between now & May/June. I wouldn't even say this trip is 100% confirmed, but it is still very probabe. I say this because I THOUGHT I would visit Cedar Point last August and then got DUMPED at the LAST MINUTE by my own SISTER...who now constantly brags to me how awesome Maverick is...

However, I counter by responding how awesome Voyage is! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Well, all of my previous "attempts" to visit Cedar Point fell through, so guess what happened this time? Same thing. We looked it over and it just looks like Cedar Point is going to be too expensive now. Gas prices, tickets, hotels...ugh, it just got out of control.<_<

We are still planning a trip this spring/early summer, but it won't be to Cedar Point. The park that will visit instead is TBD at this moment. Kings Island, Holiday World, and Indiana Beach are all contenders as all are much closer (less gas), would not require 2-day tickets, and we could go home at the end of the day and not require a hotel. Kings Island and Holiday World get further "bonus points" for being great family parks, as we have my friend's girlfriend who dislikes anything tall and her toddler daughter planning on going.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice in this topic, and since there are probably still lots of people who can afford to visit Cedar Point, continue to post your tips here for them. Thanks everyone.

PS: How crowded is Kings Island, Indiana Beach or Holiday World on a weekday in May? I'd assume "very little" but might not be 100% accurate there...

PS: How crowded is Kings Island, Indiana Beach or Holiday World on a weekday in May? I'd assume "very little" but might not be 100% accurate there...

I can't speak for the other two, but KI was practically dead when I visited it on a weekday last May. Many rides were walk-ons. Be aware, though, that there will likely be places that aren't open due to the fact that all of the high school student employees are in school; that day, the I-Street Skyline was closed, along with several other places. The only ride that was closed, though, was Thunder Alley as far as I could see. About half of the people in the park were school groups, but they were mostly well-behaved (I'm guessing because school KI trips are likely good behavior reward trips). Avoid Math & Science days, though (or so I've been told; I've never actually been there on an M&S day).

OK, I have looked at KI's operating schedule and seen that, for weekdays in May, they will only be open until 8PM. That is no problem if rides are walk-ons, but one question:

How dark is it at 8PM on weekdays in May? Because I enjoy my night rides on Beast...if not very, how are lines on Sundays?

I don't recall beast being "dark" well at least to my standards at 8pm in May.

I'd personally go on a Sunday

Remember Beast temporarily suspends operation at 9:45pm for the 10:00pm fireworks, Those inline before 10:00pm are guaranteed to ride once the ride is giving the go ahead to reopen. Thus your ride will be even darker if you don't mind being at the park past 10pm closing.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I spoke too soon- this trip may still be alive, as things have changed since it was declared dead, and more money has become avaliable. But due to my friend's new job, it would have to be on a weekend...oh crud...

Any advice on what weekend might work best? I've looked at CP's website, and they have some kind of event going on EVERY weekend in May...well, maybe we can just deal with the crowds since we will get 2-day passes, even with long lines we SHOULD get all of the big stuff in 2 days...especially since one will be a Sunday...

Thanks for any more advice!

PS: Are the average wait times listed here (http://www.coasterfa...detail.asp?id=1) for the coasters about right? They give wait times on the right side, near the bottom below the pictures (on each coaster's page).

Focus on FUN!

Do what you can at the time you are doing it. Don't be obsessed with packing every single second with a checklist of must-do's. Two days in May should be fine, even if they are weekend days. And Sundays are much less busy than Saturdays, all other things being equal. Two day passes? If you can, think Platinum Pass and get the ERT. It is WELL worth it. If you already have a Kings Island pass, you can trade up for probably less than the cost of a two day pass, but you must do so at Kings Island, not after you get to Cedar Point (they won't do it...only the park that sold the pass will...typically).

And, oh yeah, have fun!

Focus on FUN!

Do what you can at the time you are doing it. Don't be obsessed with packing every single second with a checklist of must-do's. Two days in May should be fine, even if they are weekend days. And Sundays are much less busy than Saturdays, all other things being equal. Two day passes? If you can, think Platinum Pass and get the ERT. It is WELL worth it. If you already have a Kings Island pass, you can trade up for probably less than the cost of a two day pass, but you must do so at Kings Island, not after you get to Cedar Point (they won't do it...only the park that sold the pass will...typically).

And, oh yeah, have fun!

Good point, but we cannot afford Platinum Passes. They are, last time I checked, $150. For four people, that would be a grand total of $600. Money we simply do not have at the time. We are just going to be buying regular discount AAA/Meijer/etc 2-day passes, which last time I checked were the same price as Kings Island Kroger tickets, and thus 2-day passes are probably going to be $55 per person or so, a savings of $20 per person.

And I will probably have fun regardless of crowds, I learned that this year at Halloween Haunt at Kings Island, where I failed to reach even 10 rides in a single day yet had some of the best times I ever had at the park.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Epic Bump. :P (Did not feel the need to make a new thread since I made this one a while ago...)

Well, I just found I might be going to Cedar Point in two weeks, and was reading this again...June 13th and 14th, a thursday and friday...and we are staying on-site at Hotel Breakers, so I will be able to have my first ERT if this goes through. (And will possibly also ride my first Giga Coaster, B&M Invert, B&M Wing Coaster, Stand-Up, Rocket Coaster, Blitz Coaster, etc etc...)

A quick question...if this does go through, what rides should I try to hit up for ERT to maximize its effect? Looking at the list, Gatekeeper, Millennium Force, and Maverick all stand out as rides that riding during ERT would save a TON of time later...but which of those 3 should we do, or can we hit them all up? (Then stand near TTD before the park opens, saving even mo' time and ripping they day open for more rides!)

I also figured hitting up the mainstream, popular rides (MF, TTD, Maverick, Gatekeeper...) on Thursday (weather-dependant, will probably be less crowded) and then on Friday going for the less popular stuff (like Gemini, small flat rides, etc)...is this a good idea?

So...excited...which is basically the reason I am even making this post. :)

PS: As you can guess, while I have been to KI 5 times and Holiday World twice, I have never been to CP before...hopefully that changes...also if this trip falls through too, I am gonna... :angry:

I would check out this post from dr_humor on May 24 (2013):

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27415-cedar-point-trip-suggestions/?p=516330

I agree with just about everything stated there...however, I have had trouble getting on Maverick for ERT. I only visited Cedar Point 3-4 times last season, but many times Maverick was not open for ERT (or park opening for that matter).

Enjoy your trip- I'm going this Sunday!

I'm so happy for you, McSalsa, and hope it works out for you. Don't sweat the small stuff too much. It's hard not to have a great time at the Point. Don't miss Cedar Downs, the sky ride, have some REAL frozen custard, ride Magnum, Gemini, Maverick, Magnum, have a good time and don't forget to try Magnum.

By the way. Maverick is very much a front seat ride. And ride Magnum!

Terp, in a Magnum kind of mood (though Maverick is his favorite steel coaster).

• Like 5

^
Magnum XL-200 is actually the ride I am most interested in there, believe it or not. A 200' steel hypercoaster that actually has an EDGE to it, which Diamondback does not? Seems appealing... ;)

MY GENERAL "STRATEGY" I have thought up:

Granted, Maverick will probably, during ERT, be the first ride we go for...if it's not open, as Dr. Humor stated in that link, or post-Maverick we will head to Millennium Force for its ERT, and then try to hit Gatekeeper before the park opens. After that, we walk fast over to TTD and wait for the park to open, getting on 4 of the park's most popular rides quickly. With those 4 down, the rest of the rides should be a cakewalk if we can wait until after 1PM for Raptor and such...I hope. Does this seem OK, or is my logic flawed here?

PS: Oh, and Terpy...any "magic seats" for Magnum XL-200? Because that 5-1 tip for Vortex you gave me a while back has worked well. ;)

Thanks...I think I'll choose 1-3, unless the line (if there is much of one, from what I've heard Magnum is a people eater like Vortex is here and thus lines are not usually a problem) suggests otherwise...aka, if 1-3's line is super long compared to other seats...

Thanks...I think I'll choose 1-3, unless the line (if there is much of one, from what I've heard Magnum is a people eater like Vortex is here and thus lines are not usually a problem) suggests otherwise...aka, if 1-3's line is super long compared to other seats...

1-3 usually has one of the shortest lines of any row, because of how the station is set up. All the front row people crowd to the side and create an illusion of long lines for everything near the front.

• Like 1

I agree with Terpy 100%. I absolutely adore Magnum and it often gets a really short line especially later in the day. It's great for rerides but rough if your not in a center of car seat. My personal favorite seat is 3-2 third car center seat. Night rides are great too.

Skyhawk should not be missed either. It always delivers... Even when I rode 10+ times in a row

Have a blast and don't sweat missing a ride. I missed TTD the first time I went since it's install and it made an awesome cookie to save for later.

• Like 3

^^

The one thing I fear a bit about missing any of the big rides is, my next trip to Cedar Point may be in 2018 or something...we are usually not that good on money, and thus usually go to closer, cheaper (because of gas prices) amusement parks such as KI or Holiday World. Gas alone for Cedar Point, for us, is around $150! So, that is why I am going to try and hit as much major stuff as I can, and most of the small stuff, too...although I admit there will be factors out of my control...like if TTD breaks, for example, and is closed both days. :wacko:

Granted, even if that does happen, I will still suck it up and try to enjoy the rest of my day. The good thing about Cedar Point- if one major coaster does go down, there are still 13 more adult roller coasters to fill that hole! ;)

Yep, 1-3 is the fabled "ejector seat" of Maggie. Just don't be frightened when you look at the loading platform and see chaos when bording Magnum. The vast majority is waiting for the front seat (for good reason), but 1-3 usually has a rather small line as people are scared off by the mob up there.

Another "favorite seat" at the park of mine is the very, very back of Wicked Twister. The line is usually short as people mob the front, but you get the most "twisty time" in the back, and you also technically get launched "higher" than any other car on the train. My wife introduced me to this one, and I've haven't strayed since.

And Terp is so right about Maverick. It's a wild, fun ride anywhere, but for me the wait for the front on this one is well worth it (the same is now true for Gatekeeper for me as well). I hope it goes smoothly and it's up and running for ERT for you...it should be at least one of the days.

With two days, I would take a deep breath and count on getting on most everything you want to. Very unfortunately, SkyHawk has been down since opening day, waiting on a part, so it is very likely you may not get a ride on this. There is no word on when it is going to open. :(

Very happy for you! There is something magical about being with someone who has never observed the skyline of CP in person for the first time...so I can't wait to hear about your experience. I think your Thursday will be a great day at the Point. Crowds are still not at peak, and Thursday is generally a very good day in the park.

A little hidden gem for you; take a spin on Cedar Downs Raceway (it's a "fast" merry go round)...it's a little known flat, and I've honestly never seen one outside Cedar Point. Of course save this for day 2 when you're satisfied with getting all your rides in.

And if I absolutely had to force you to do one thing before you leave on Thursday night?

Millennium Force at night, in the dark.

It's a religous experience...trust me. :) Get in line as the park is closing.

Have fun! :D

• Like 4

^
Oh, we are staying at Hotel Breakers (on-site Hotel), so we won't actually have to "leave" the park...but nonetheless, Millennium Force @ Night sounds fun.

And I can just imagine what driving into that park lot will be like, somewhat...

"HOLY FUDGE! THAT IS TOP THRILL DRAGSTER!?!? :o AND THAT'S MILLENNIUM FORCE!?!?"

As I have never seen Giga or Strata coasters before, and until now, still see Kings Island's Diamondback as "huge"... :P

As for SkyHawk...uuuggghhh...it's not a "main" mega attraction like Millennium Force or TTD, but it's still one of the more attractive-looking non coaster thrill rides there...so it being down is a bit of a drag. Not a huge one, though, as CP also boasts several other non-coaster thrill rides such as MaXair, WindSeeker, and Witches Wheel...

Disclaimer: I also have never managed to get on a WindSeeker, as all my KI trips were before it opened, or when it was down waiting for a part or something...and I hear CP's is supposed to be the best, simply because the view is so nice...

^Yeah, though I do adore coasters and don't really have that much a fear of heights, seeing Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragster still give me goosebumps. Such a rush for me riding them both, only 2 of a few rides I'll gladly wait over an hour for. Yeah, some consider TTD a one-trick-pony, but it does one heck of a trick.

I'll also jump on the Magnum love here. Magnum was my first coaster over 200 ft and my first ride on it was at night, which I've made a tradition in always ending a day at Cedar Point with a night ride on her. Such a great design in a great location to boot.

Oh, and I first rode it during its 10th anniversary; still have the t-shirt commemorating it for that.

• Like 3

Agh! How could I forget this...2 of the people I am going with are a my best friend's kids- a 5-year-old girl, and a little baby who was born like 6 months ago, as well as their momma who is kind of iffy on giant roller coasters. Smaller ones (like Blue Streak/Racer, for example) she likes, but go above 100ft or so and she is scared to death...in spite of the fact she once rode Flight of Fear on accident, not knowing it was a scary roller coaster. :wacko:

I'm guessing this could change some things...granted, me and my sister could always run off and do giant coasters while they go for kids rides and stuff. And hey, Planet Snoopy has ERT for them! :P

and I hear CP's is supposed to be the best, simply because the view is so nice...

I would have to agree...the view of the lake is simply breath-taking. By the way, from the top of Magnum on a clear day, you really can see Canada from across the water. :)

Knowing you're a KI regular, here's another suggestion (nudge nudge). You've ridden Flight Deck, no doubt...so Iron Dragon may seem really "meh" to you...but only if you ride it during the day. If Iron Dragon is on your list (and why not...it's not terrible...it's just no Flight Deck), save this for a Front Row at night. It doesn't totally redeem the ride, but it easily boosts this ride from a 4-5 star ride to a 6-7.

Are you writing all this down?

:)

2 of the people I am going with are a my best friend's kids- a 5-year-old girl, and a little baby who was born like 6 months ago, as well as their momma who is kind of iffy on giant roller coasters. Smaller ones (like Blue Streak/Racer, for example) she likes, but go above 100ft or so and she is scared to death

Make sure they find the Family Care Center in Planet Snoopy. We also have a 1 and 5 year old, and it's a wonderfuk place with AC...and a room designed specifically for mothers to breast-feed, diaper-change, chill out (they play Charlie Brown cartoons all day inside for the kids).

We spend a considerable amount of time there with out little ones. :)

^
Mentally, yes I am writing this stuff down...this is all good advice. ;)

And I was kind of aware of Iron Dragon being "less thrilling" compared to Flight Deck, as I have compared POVs in the past...it does look like a decent ride though, and a relaxing one, with nice scenery around it, and Mantis above.

Also, I checked CP's website...and wow, LOTS of rides the young 5 year old can go on...with an adult, of course. :P