Coney photos: ariel shots, etc.

jandyb79

Here is the start of several Coney Island photos that I have acquired over the last decade. I thought that since I am moving and have to filter through all of my belongings, I would now scan these images for everyone to enjoy :) I'll be adding addional photos to this thread as I come across those photos.

Ariel shot of Coney Island during the 1950's. Image was taken long before the Wildcat was demolished and the mall extended:

Coney1950s.jpg

This image was taken sometime between 1969 to 1971 (on account of the flume ride having been added in the background and various other hints):

CIlates60s.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome pictures. Now, if you will excuse me for a moment...

(Leaps into time machine and travels back to 1950!!!)

BWA HA HA! Now I can go visit Coney Island Ohio, and ride the old roller coasters that have since been destroyed LOLZ! And then I can go to Rye Playland and ride the Aeroplane, and then I can go to Coney Island NY and ride Cyclone, Thunderbolt, AND Tornado! This gonna be fun...

OK, JK, I wish I had a time machine...

I know this may be a big request, but can anyone describe each of the attractions and/or buildings in the lower pic??

*The bottom right hand corner is the Tumble Bug (relocated to KI).

*The Rotor (relocated to KI)

*The Dark House

*Shooting Gallery

*Log Flume (relocated to KI)

*Galaxy - metal coaster (relocated to KI???)

*Swiss Chalet loading platform

*Shooting Star wood roller coaster

~Josh

I'd really like to hear a patron of the park explain the dark ride in detail as I have only seen a few images and video footage of the ride. My fathers family would frequent the park in the 1950's and part of the 60's, but he did not return to Cinci before the "old park was closed and moved the KI.

~Josh

I know this may be a big request, but can anyone describe each of the attractions and/or buildings in the lower pic??

*The Dark House

*Shooting Gallery

~Josh

Thanks!

The first photo of Coney Island is AMAZING. My Friend Alfred has many historic photos of Coney Island and has many memories of this park. He remembers like it was yesterday. He has a 2 x 6 pice of wood from the Shooting Star and He has ridden it many of times back in the day. He has also workd on the Screechin Eagle coaster at lesourdsville lake/Americana.

I would love to see some of those pictures! I am a huge history buff when it comes to amusement parks, particularly Coney, since I have worked there for nearly a decade now (it will be ten years when I start back in the spring).

When I worked at Coney back in 2000 and 2001 there was a restaurant just down the River from the park where one of the owners had, what he claimed was, the largest Coney Island collection in the world. During that period I was collecting Coney Island items pretty hard core, but my jaw dropped when I saw this display in that restaurant foyer. The photos he had were excellent! Several of the photos ranged from varieties of ariel perspectives, inside buildings, off season, etc. If memory serves me correctly, that gents name is Kurt Stillwell. If anyway has time on their hands maybe its worth a shot to try and hunt him down. I had his info as a result to a deal my friend had with him for some Kenner prototype toy items. I later learned that he was a collector of various interests. I will say that the majority of the (professional) Historical photos that have surfaced (in small quantities) were taken by a fellow who worked for Time Magazine that has since passed away. His family owns the rights to all of his photography and getting ahold of it is impossible. When I worked for Coney I made friends with the Vice President of the company and his only advice for me when trying to locate rare photos was "good luck, its practically impossible". The great things about KI Central is the fact that I no longer work alone in my endeavors to see rare photos or locate them. This is why I am willing to share my findings with others who are as passionate this park as me :)

~Josh

Very interesting stuff. I love the history of Coney. In fact, several of us ride managers at Coney are big on the history of the park. It is ashame that there aren't mote photos out there from Coney's heyday.

It will be interesting to see what celebrations Coney has planned for this year. I know they have a couple things planned throughout the summer. I'll be sure to let everyone know what things are planned when I find out about them.

I'd really like to hear a patron of the park explain the dark ride in detail as I have only seen a few images and video footage of the ride. My fathers family would frequent the park in the 1950's and part of the 60's, but he did not return to Cinci before the "old park was closed and moved the KI.

~Josh

I was eight years old when the park closed but I will try to remember the ride. You stepped into a model T type vehicle and pulled down a lap bar and the car made a sharp right under the overhanging vines through the old fashioned dark ride doors. Immediately there was a skeleton in a chair directly ahead of you. His jaw moved as he said "Welcome to the house of the dead" and you quickly turned right past a skeleton french maid. You immediately began twisting through a series of pretzels left and right through portraits on the walls. The you came to a skeleton playing an organ. From what I remember, you then turned into a banquet hall and circled the table in the room. It was skeltons sitting around the table much like the haunted mansion at disney. Then you went through a set of doors into a burning living room where a boy skeleton was watching tv and girl skeleton was sliding down the stair rail. Then you turned into a hallway that looked as if you were traveling downwards. You then turned left into a torture chamber. You circled through the chamber and into the dark. I then remember traveling through a pretzel area in total darkness. What I remember most was my sister screaming loud enough to break glass! Then you come out of the house on the opposite side a quick pretzel to the left and right back to the loading platform. I asked my sister why she screamed and she said that someone was in the dark and reached out and touched her arm....

*The Dark House

*Shooting Gallery

~Josh

Indeed Galaxi was relocated to KI and renamed Bavarian Beetle. It was my favorite ride when I wasn't tall enough to ride The Racer.

Josh, what did you do when you worked at Coney in 2000 and 2001? I didn`t start working in the rides department until the spring of 2002. And I`ve been back every summer since then!

I came down with John Bachelder (KI employee from 1972 - 1987) from Americana to help revitalize and reorganize the games and merchandise departments. Until then the rides and games departments were one and the same. A rides area manager gave the games employee a money apron and sent them to their station for the day. They would then take the money back that night and call it a day. No audits, no balancing...nothing! As a result, there was hardly any accountability with the games employees. In this case, the focus was on the rides employees primarily. However, once Americana closed several of their long time employees joined the staff at Coney full-time. I served as Johns right hand guy for 2 seasons before making plans to work as a percussionist for Busch Gardens the summer of 2002. I have several photos of that first year as we reorganized the games department and merch dept. We lost half of our original employees around July that first year (which would have been 2000) because of theft issues. I received a subpoena at the end of August that year, and had to skip a full day of classes my sophomore year in college, to testify against one of those employees. He sued Coney Island for entrapment. Oh what a wonderful time we had :/ The following season ironed out all of the "bad kids" and I never heard of things having been out hand like that again. John has since retired and he and I are still great friends :)

~Josh

Of course...including the famous dance hall, the admin office...and I will let CoastersRZ or someone else go on...I only got to go to the old Coney Island once...and spent almost all my time (and my money, including my emergency money, for which I got in trouble) riding what was at that time the most incredible roller coaster I had ever experienced, the Shooting Star!

Yep. I knew John Bachelder. He retired early last year (around this time last year in fact).

I remember hearing about the games and rides department being one department. One of the rides managers (who is now "semi-retired" from Coney), started way back in 1992 or so, would often mention how games and rides used to be one department (his name is Mike Cann, and he now only comes in for extra help on special occasions, like July 3rd).

As The Interpreter mentioned, Moonlite Gardens is original (although it has seen many modifications over the years. It is actually getting some much needed TLC done to it for this year. OF course the admin building is original as well. The Gatehouse that fronts Sutton Avenue is also original. As is the filter building at the pool, the games/employee cafe/rides office building, Lakeside Pavilion, LaRosa`s across from Famous Fairways, and what is currently the maintenance/warehouse building). I`ll shed some more information on the subject when I get home from work tonight. Right now I have to run into a design meeting for a project in Africa.

Alright, the main entrance auto gate fronting Sutton Avenue was built in 1924, the same year that ownership of the park changed hands (George F. Schott, was part of this new ownership group, which would control the park until its eventual sale to Taft Broadcasting).

In 1925, the Philadelphia Toboggan Company constructed Moonlite Gardens. The building did not receive its wrought iron and French Quarter inspired architecture until a renovation in 1947. Additionally, the stone gate entrance from the Ohio River was constructed in 1925.

A German beer garden was built behind the administration building in 1966 at a cost of $75,000. Today, this is the commissary that produces a majority of the food for all the group picnics that come through Coney. Hampton Court (now home to the games of skill, rides office, Skyline Chili, employee cafe and several other functions and employee offices, also opened that year at a cost of $300,000. It was designed by UC alumni Darrel Daniels, and comprised more than 40,000 square feet.

The current LaRosa`s building across from the Dodgems opened in 1967 at a cost of $50,000.

Another notable building that remains is Moonlite Pavilion, located next to the administration building. This building originally was home to the Dodgems, Whip and Cuddle Up rides. Today, it is used for special events and group outings, and dances. Several employee parties have also been held in there over the years.

I hope you found some of that information insightful.

Very interesting information. I made a brief trip there two summers ago (I walked around a bit, just as the rides were opening), as I was meeting a group at KI later on. I hope to come back again soon, if just to browse around. It was wild to think of all the history in that place.

i find it interesting that with the ariel pictures well-before closing and more recent have little similarities. ie- you cannot make out where the midway was. Almost like they pulled EVERYTHING up- concrete and all. unless I am missing something- and like a loser with nothing else to do today- I tried to find how the old layout went from recent pictures.

i find it interesting that with the ariel pictures well-before closing and more recent have little similarities. ie- you cannot make out where the midway was. Almost like they pulled EVERYTHING up- concrete and all. unless I am missing something- and like a loser with nothing else to do today- I tried to find how the old layout went from recent pictures.

I was told that every time they broke ground for a new project it was like an archeological dig. Tom Rhein said that each time they had to dig they would either hit a cement ride pad or pieces of the old midway. The park you see today was a result of renovations done in the mid 80's. Until then the "Velvet Palace" (building adjacent to Moonlight Gardens), the carousel pavilion and train trussle were still standing. I have a few pics of the park after Coney was evacuated. They are very sad images!

~Josh

Yes, I would very much like to see said images. And for those who do not know, Tom Rhein is one of the full timers at Coney, and the resident historian of the place on the staff.

Little remains of the main mall. About the only thing that really remains is the western terminus with Moonlite Gardens. There was grading work done on the south side of Moonlite Pavilion which broke up the flow of the old mall. Moreover, Dodgems and Famous Fairways Mini Golf sit in the middle of what would have been the Mall. The current location of the Giant Slide/Tilt A Whirl is the approximate location of the Shooting Star station.

~Josh

I was eight years old when the park closed but I will try to remember the ride. You stepped into a model T type vehicle and pulled down a lap bar and the car made a sharp right under the overhanging vines through the old fashioned dark ride doors. Immediately there was a skeleton in a chair directly ahead of you. His jaw moved as he said "Welcome to the house of the dead" and you quickly turned right past a skeleton french maid. You immediately began twisting through a series of pretzels left and right through portraits on the walls. The you came to a skeleton playing an organ. From what I remember, you then turned into a banquet hall and circled the table in the room. It was skeltons sitting around the table much like the haunted mansion at disney. Then you went through a set of doors into a burning living room where a boy skeleton was watching tv and girl skeleton was sliding down the stair rail. Then you turned into a hallway that looked as if you were traveling downwards. You then turned left into a torture chamber. You circled through the chamber and into the dark. I then remember traveling through a pretzel area in total darkness. What I remember most was my sister screaming loud enough to break glass! Then you come out of the house on the opposite side a quick pretzel to the left and right back to the loading platform. I asked my sister why she screamed and she said that someone was in the dark and reached out and touched her arm....

I remember my dad and sister taking me on that ride when I was 7 or 8 and being scared half to death.

jandyb79 - and I assume you will post said pictures?

Here are a few that I have. There is at least one picture of the crumbling midway in Charles Jacques "Cincinnai's Coney Island" I thought I had more, but I'll have to keep looking. In the mean time, enjoy...or be sad :( ...whatever your take is on the old parks fate.

Row of ginkgo trees left behind not to be transfered with the others to KI (as far as I know, these exact trees are still growing at Coney today):

doc032a.jpg

The Shooting Star Having met its fate:

doc031a.jpg