Coney photos: ariel shots, etc.

jandyb79

I know this may be a big request, but can anyone describe each of the attractions and/or buildings in the lower pic??

*The bottom right hand corner is the Tumble Bug (relocated to KI).

*The Rotor (relocated to KI)

*The Dark House

*Shooting Gallery

*Log Flume (relocated to KI)

*Galaxy - metal coaster (relocated to KI???)

*Swiss Chalet loading platform

*Shooting Star wood roller coaster

~Josh

Indeed Galaxi was relocated to KI and renamed Bavarian Beetle. It was my favorite ride when I wasn't tall enough to ride The Racer.

I am sure you know this, but you can still ride one in Indiana at Indiana Beach!

http://www.indianabeach.com/pages/indianabeach_rides_thrill

Can anyone remember and describe the Lost River? I can't remember if there were dark ride scenes inside or was it just dark? I can just barely remember the lift and the drop. But I do remember standing in the "splash zone" at the base and watching the cars momentarily leave the track as they crested the hill. You could see the wheels stop momentarily. I do wish KI would get an Olde Mill type dark ride. I think it would fit perfectly from the skee-ball area to the restroom (flight commander) area of Coney Mall.

I know this may be a big request, but can anyone describe each of the attractions and/or buildings in the lower pic??

*The bottom right hand corner is the Tumble Bug (relocated to KI).

*The Rotor (relocated to KI)

*The Dark House

*Shooting Gallery

*Log Flume (relocated to KI)

*Galaxy - metal coaster (relocated to KI???)

*Swiss Chalet loading platform

*Shooting Star wood roller coaster

~Josh

Indeed Galaxi was relocated to KI and renamed Bavarian Beetle. It was my favorite ride when I wasn't tall enough to ride The Racer.

I am sure you know this, but you can still ride one in Indiana at Indiana Beach!

http://www.indianabe...ch_rides_thrill

Yes, my children were able to ride it this past summer.

Alright, the main entrance auto gate fronting Sutton Avenue was built in 1924, the same year that ownership of the park changed hands (George F. Schott, was part of this new ownership group, which would control the park until its eventual sale to Taft Broadcasting).

In 1925, the Philadelphia Toboggan Company constructed Moonlite Gardens. The building did not receive its wrought iron and French Quarter inspired architecture until a renovation in 1947. Additionally, the stone gate entrance from the Ohio River was constructed in 1925.

A German beer garden was built behind the administration building in 1966 at a cost of $75,000. Today, this is the commissary that produces a majority of the food for all the group picnics that come through Coney. Hampton Court (now home to the games of skill, rides office, Skyline Chili, employee cafe and several other functions and employee offices, also opened that year at a cost of $300,000. It was designed by UC alumni Darrel Daniels, and comprised more than 40,000 square feet.

The current LaRosa`s building across from the Dodgems opened in 1967 at a cost of $50,000.

Another notable building that remains is Moonlite Pavilion, located next to the administration building. This building originally was home to the Dodgems, Whip and Cuddle Up rides. Today, it is used for special events and group outings, and dances. Several employee parties have also been held in there over the years.

I hope you found some of that information insightful.

If I may add one additional *prominent building not mentioned, that still remains, is the old cafeteria - which is now used for maintenance and storage. Several of the Land of Oz buildings still remain as well. I've only located a few photos of the old childrens section of the park (now picnic grove), so it is difficult to know for what purpose the existing buildings were used. If anyone can shed light on this I would love to hear it! I really enjoyed hearing members talk about their experiences at Coney Island, namely the description given about the Dark Ride! Very cool!!!

~Josh

Can anyone remember and describe the Lost River? I can't remember if there were dark ride scenes inside or was it just dark? I can just barely remember the lift and the drop. But I do remember standing in the "splash zone" at the base and watching the cars momentarily leave the track as they crested the hill. You could see the wheels stop momentarily. I do wish KI would get an Olde Mill type dark ride. I think it would fit perfectly from the skee-ball area to the restroom (flight commander) area of Coney Mall.

I remember the drop being really steep. ( At least to a 7 or 8 year old kid as I was.) I remember the tunnel being mostly darkness with little or no theming. ( In other words, a great place to "make out"-of course, I was too young to realize that then.lol.)

Of course...including the famous dance hall, the admin office...and I will let CoastersRZ or someone else go on...I only got to go to the old Coney Island once...and spent almost all my time (and my money, including my emergency money, for which I got in trouble) riding what was at that time the most incredible roller coaster I had ever experienced, the Shooting Star!

In my opinion, Terpie, still one of the most incredible roller coasters even by today's standards.

Absolutely amazing. It's so neat to connect some of the ideas that were incorporated into KI...that we still get to enjoy to this day.

For the last 12 years I have been waiting for the Coney Mall to be renovated at KI. And there is nothing I would like to see more than the return of the old "Push-up" styled Ginkgo trees. I really hope that this is part of their "sprusing up the landscaping" for this upcoming season!

~Josh

Wow. Thanks for sharing those photos!

That little pond with the water in it is still there. (Although the glass tubes with water in it are no longer in it. The fountain itself was painted blue this past off season. That image was taken just in front of what is now Moonlite pavilion, looking towards where River Runner sits today. The building next to the turnpike cars station is the present day Lakeside Pavilion. Today, Lakeside Pavilion is home to Coney`s three live shows, as well as Member Services, and guest relations.

I believe it has been stated that had they built the Eiffel Tower at Coney, as originally planned, it was going to replace the Lost River. Which in the aerial image, is the attraction that is just above the bottom (eastern most) Sky Ride station. It is also the attraction that is next to the upper left corner of the parking lot

Coneymall60scolor2.jpg

Coneyfrontfountain.jpg

ConeyVelvetPalace.jpg

i simply adore these 3 photo's. first one reminds me a lot of places i have been as a child. the second reminds me of the fountains @ strickers. also i love the third one the best; it reminds me of louisiana.care if i make the third one my background?

Long story short: I was searching for some information on The Beast (from a creditable source, so if anybody has anything, please post it). Anyways, I stumbled upon this video from Coney Island. I don't have time to watch it right now, but by skipping through it, I saw that there is actually a few POV's from The Shooting Star spliced together at the 4:28 mark. (I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but if it has, it belongs in this topic.) Coney Island.

• 4 months later...