Flashback Till Opening 2011

TOPGUN1993

Kings Island opens its doors for it's 39th season April 30th (100 Days). From now until then I thought it would be cool to post a photo from Kings Islands past each day. I have a vast number of photos of Kings Island I have saved over the years, mostly finding them online. So don't be surprised if a photo you might of posted before shows up, as you'll never quite know what to expect. B)

Photo 100

Per your initial thread description, is it alright for others to share photos as well?

~Josh

Why certainly :)

Photo 99

ki87cobra2.jpg

King Cobra 1987

That was the summer after I graduated from high school. Thank you for the memories.

The same way I feel each time I walk past Vortex towards Beast...or from Beast to the Eiffel Tower...or from The Happy Land of HB to Rivertown...or drive by Whalom...which is instructive. If things didn't change, the place would most likely be gone. Change is inevitable. Some change is good. Some isn't.

Speaking of change, which we were, I hear Mr. Kinzel likes nickels. Last year nearly 100 million of them! Now that's a lot of change, but probably not nearly as much as he is about to go through...Retirement...or change. Not a completely diverse choice, either

Terp, who can identify in some ways, but not in others (and probably wouldn't want to). Change and hope. Or something. (Always explain things in plain site. And spell them correctly, too. Which I did. Or was it plane site? Sometimes it is difficult to leave (or go to) one's heart's field).

I think that if CF really wanted to honor the Kings Island of the past, the best way would be to restore Coney to as close a reproduction of the original Coney Island as possible. That was the intent of the original owners when Kings Island was built. That was the heritage they hoped would make Kings Island a success. Bring back the Ginko Trees. Even bring back some of the original rides the park use to have. I am sure rides like the Whip and Cuddle Up are still avaliable. We know the Wild Mouse has been brought back to life. You could go even more bodacious and rebuild an exact replica of the Shooting Star which was an idea kicked around when The Beast was built. With WindSeeker going on, the crowds will be back in an area of the park that has been neglected. Coney Island had a charm that no other park had in it's day. Kennywood created Old Kennywood. It could be done but it's just my dream. With the other areas of the park built for different experiences, bring Coney Island back to life. That honors the true heritage of the original CI and gives those that were too young to visit CI in it's heyday just a taste of what it was supposed to be like when KI was opened 39 years ago. Well, that's my dream. And I'll keep dreaming.

Don't confuse my numbering^ lol and who hasn't seen the 72 map?

Photo 95

Waterworks construction 1989

Here's a little contribution to the Waterworks construction pic. I don't know if this is a common pic, but its an artist rendering of the "coming soon to KI - Waterworks".

KIWaterworksrendering.jpg

• Like 1

Again, a very nice picture. One interesting thing to note with that artist rendition. That pool and small kiddy slides on the right side, I believe were never built (unless they were removed for the water park expansion in 1997). Ironically, that is almost the exact location where Jackaroo Landing and Kookaburra Bay were installed with the renovation of Water Works into Boomerang Bay in 2004.

Well, there I go. Notice, how I said it might have been removed for construction of the expanded water park in 1997. I stand corrected. I never went to Water Works until 1998, the first year that I had a season pass to King Island. Ironically enough, I have only been swimming in Boomerang Bay one time since the park was re-named that.

I think that if CF really wanted to honor the Kings Island of the past, the best way would be to restore Coney to as close a reproduction of the original Coney Island as possible. That was the intent of the original owners when Kings Island was built. That was the heritage they hoped would make Kings Island a success. Bring back the Ginko Trees. Even bring back some of the original rides the park use to have. I am sure rides like the Whip and Cuddle Up are still avaliable. We know the Wild Mouse has been brought back to life. You could go even more bodacious and rebuild an exact replica of the Shooting Star which was an idea kicked around when The Beast was built. With WindSeeker going on, the crowds will be back in an area of the park that has been neglected. Coney Island had a charm that no other park had in it's day. Kennywood created Old Kennywood. It could be done but it's just my dream. With the other areas of the park built for different experiences, bring Coney Island back to life. That honors the true heritage of the original CI and gives those that were too young to visit CI in it's heyday just a taste of what it was supposed to be like when KI was opened 39 years ago. Well, that's my dream. And I'll keep dreaming.

I have the same dream except I would prefer Bavarian Beetle over Wild Mouse.

Photo 94

Gulliver's rub a dub

Ahh sweet! I forgot that I had posted this pic :) My dad took this picture in 1980. It's interesting that just recently I met the sculptor who created these characters. He was an employee at KI throughout the 70's until taking a sculpting position at Kenner/Hasbro Toys when it was based in Cincinnati. He sculpted several of the original Star Wars figures from 77 to 86. He now lives in New England and works as a freelance sculptor for Hasbro Toys.

~Josh

RivertownHannaBarberaLand%281975%29.jpg

Located in the middle of the picture, the ride was enhanced (to include characters) with more themeing soon after it was added. The last season was I believe 1979.

gulliverrub.jpg

(Before the Hanna Barbara characters were added among the themeing)

Plenty more photos of Gulliver to come, which are pretty rare indeed.