Flashback Till Opening 2011

TOPGUN1993

I am reasonably sure that is a photo of KI and not KD. The European theming to me looks like signature KI.

I now have no doubt that this is KD.There is the Spanish mission style building with the patio on the left.There is no such building at KI,but it's in the same spot at KD.There is also the building with the spires on the right.What is now the Starbucks building looks just like this.And as Terpy pointed out the fountain looks more like KD's instead of KI's.

The costumes actually look fairly light compared to today's costumes.

Costumes? What costumes...it HAS to be the real Banana Splits...otherwise no one would have paid this much for an autographed photo of them at the park a couple of days ago. ban.jpg

Prepare to be shocked!

http://cgi.ebay.com/KINGS-ISLAND-AMUSEMENT-PARK-PHOTO-BANANA-SPLITS-SIGNED-/200591828231?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb4346507

*EDIT: I forgot that since this is a completed eBay auction you have to have an account to see it. For those of you who don't, this photo sold for $168.50. Three bidders fought for it, and judging by what the winning bidder has bid on recently he is not a Kings Island fan...just a Banana Splits fan.

So you went through that door at the end and then took the stairs up to the center.

Edit-Thanks for the photo as well Paul, there is nothing I like seeing more than old queue lines or even just photos of queue lines, I am an avid fan of photos like that.

The costumes actually look fairly light compared to today's costumes.

Costumes? What costumes...it HAS to be the real Banana Splits...otherwise no one would have paid this much for an autographed photo of them at the park a couple of days ago. ban.jpg

Prepare to be shocked!

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2eb4346507

*EDIT: I forgot that since this is a completed eBay auction you have to have an account to see it. For those of you who don't, this photo sold for $168.50. Three bidders fought for it, and judging by what the winning bidder has bid on recently he is not a Kings Island fan...just a Banana Splits fan.

That picture must have been taken when they shot the movie.

What was the "Magic of the Movies Live"? That's a fully loaded Panavision Gold Camera on a Panavision Gear head. It looks like it's sitting on a Fisher 10 dolly boom arm. That's some heavy duty film gear, was all of that used in this show?

So you went through that door at the end and then took the stairs up to the center.

For those interested, it worked a lot like a spiral staircase ascending upward from within. A ride op sat at the top of the staircase and told you which cage to stand in front of. Once you made it to the top platform there was only 1 to 2 loads in waiting - avoiding a crowd and chaos...at least that's the way I recall it. When the ride descended to the ground those riders were led to the exit and the cage doors, on the inside of the ride, popped open allowing the next riders in waiting to load. The promo video in the historical section shows what it looked like from an outside perspective, I believe.

The underground "tunnel" has been sealed off.

flightque03.jpg

:)

That would be a really cool place to see. When you say "has been sealed off," do you mean like the tunnel has been completely closed off by concrete, or is there just a door type thing where you can get in? Where was the entrance to this tunnel?

The underground "tunnel" has been sealed off.

flightque03.jpg

:)

That would be a really cool place to see. When you say "has been sealed off," do you mean like the tunnel has been completely closed off by concrete, or is there just a door type thing where you can get in? Where was the entrance to this tunnel?

The entrance to this tunnel is just to the right of the Speed Pitch game there in Coney Mall. It's not very noticeable, but if you look closely, you can see it.

I did a quick rendering to illustrate what the tunnel looked like before it was sealed off (the way I remember it). The staircase ascended upward like a spiral staircase. I believe the television played some kind of flight training video as well...

flightquestairs.jpg

Not meaning to "step on Paul's toes"...but I recently acquired a brochure that was pre-park opening and thought I would share part of it.

kiopening.jpg

(By the way RD...I have no doubt Paul has a Rotor photo for you...you might want to specify what angle you would like the shot from. :P )